SoftBank Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at SoftBank

2.6

Sort:

Intern Interview

Interview

Great experience! Very natural, coordinated and organized, and straightforward. I met with the VP of product, Sr. product manager, and a product manager. Each interview lasted for 30 minutes except the last one where it took I think an hour? We had a very fruitful conversation.

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at SoftBank (San Carlos, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Was sourced by a recruiter via LinkedIn and connected for an initial chat/screening. Was already well familiar with the company and Nikesh Arora's involvement, and after the informational call I decided to go ahead and submit my resume and begin initial interviews. Some interviews were done over video call, others in their bay area offices. Everyone was very personable and intelligent and was able to answer all my questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions about my current and previous roles as well as investment case study questions (ex. would you invest in Uber?)   Answer Question

Investor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at SoftBank (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Chaotic and unprepared. I showed up, none of the interviewers were prepared or able to articulate the job requirements. Never heard back from the recruiter. Not sure they know what they're looking for or how to scale.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SoftBank (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Technical Phone Screen consisting of going your resume in detail, explaining how certain technologies were used, and then questions about basic web development processes and concepts. The entire process was relatively quick and my interviewer covered a broad range of topics.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SoftBank (San Carlos, CA) in June 2018.

Interview

I had 5 interviews in total, not including my initial conversation with the recruiter. I was asked some challenging questions that made for interesting conversations. I liked that senior folks and people across the business took the time to meet with me. The recruiter remained really honest with me throughout the process, which is uncommon and appreciated. The process took around 4 weeks due to heavy traveling schedules of some of the interviewers, but in the end I received an offer and happily accepted.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you influenced positive change within your current company.   Answer Question

Sales/Planning Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at SoftBank.

Interview

Applied before the Boston Career Forum and got an interview scheduled the first day.
    1) Pre-screen interview- All questions regarding my resume + why softbank? Also tested my Japanese level
    2) Second Interview- 10 minutes after the pre-screening. Was more of a chat than an interview about what I can bring to the company. All in Japanese.

Was offered a dinner invitation during the second interview and was given a "verbal" offer at the dinner. I reached out to the HR person again after getting back from Boston and was given an official offer.

Talent Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Carlos, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at SoftBank (San Carlos, CA).

Interview

Fairly straightforward interview process until the onsite portion. Your typical phone screen and discussing backgrounds and what the role entails. Had a good meeting with everyone but the air of pretentiousness and "holier than thou" attitude certainly exists here.

I got the impression that there's a *lot* broken in the recruiting and talent process here and there were significant unresolved problems internally. Seemed to be a lot of disconnect between the groups and the onsite panel appeared thrown together last minute. There were numerous cancellations and rescheduling and the interview itself seemed to have no interview kit or consistent/unbiased questions. I was repeatedly told it'd be an 80 hour/week job because of how much they needed to hire and build internal systems, yet one interviewer said they really weren't scaling their internal team that much, so I'm still unsure of their hiring goals.

Post-interview is where I was really turned off by SoftBank. Despite numerous attempts at making contact, it was complete silence and quite unprofessional. Ended up taking a role at a rival VC firm and other colleagues have had similar experiences.

My recommendation to the team here is to set expectations and not disappear on candidates. I'm not the only one with this experience.

Interview Questions

• What are you exceptional at? What's the one thing in the world you're better than everyone else at?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at SoftBank (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in April 2016.

Interview

Three rounds interviews. Phone - VP interview + Partner Interview. Phone interview mainly behavior questions and stuff about your resume. VP was about what TMT industry you are interested and how to you value a startup.

Interview Questions

• Why would you choose VC industry?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tokyo (Japan)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SoftBank (Tokyo (Japan)) in April 2018.

Interview

Phone interview - IQ test - 2nd Interview - Coding test -Interview at headquarters - Offer
    The first interview was on Skype. All interview process was smooth and they were one to one.

Interview Questions

• Basically questions about the personality than the educational background   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at SoftBank (Taipei (Taiwan)) in April 2017.

Interview

First was a call interview, they asked some basic questions like why you want to work in Japan. After that, I did a Skype interview, I received the same kind of questions. Finally, I got to the face-to-face interview, it was a classic type. They ask many questions like why you want to enter this company, why you want to work in Japan, etc.
    I need to clarify that job offer was for 2018.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work in Japan?   1 Answer