SolarWinds Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SolarWinds Interview Questions

Updated Feb 27, 2017

2.7

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview

Thorough interview process consisting of 3 separate interviews on 3 different days. Management seems to be looking for someone they can depend on to be persistent, open to change, and will to succeed.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate

Web Marketing Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Austin, TX).

Interview

Screening interview with HR, following by interviews with hiring manager and 5 staff members. The staff selected were relevant to the role, very knowledgable in their disciplines, and very willing to discuss openly the challenges the prospective candidate would face in filling the position. The interviews were a bit rushed, but there was time to ask questions. At the conclusion, each team member offered their direct contact information for additional questions and followup.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself/your background. Describe a situation where a project went off plan. What was your approach to communicate that (negative news) to stake holders? What is your spirit animal?   Answer Question

Channel Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Austin, TX) in September 2016.

Interview

Had an interview with a former colleague of mine whom I had a great deal of respect and admiration for. Given our amicable relationship and previous work history, I thought at the very least there would be some candor throughout the process. We met to review the expectations of the role and had a productive conversation about various topics surrounding the company. I briefly presented my 30-60-90 and narrowed down the most appropriate strategies. After 40 minutes, we concluded and I met with her direct report. He came in and stated we didnt have much time for the interview. He outlined some vague expectations of the role and asked how I would contribute to the position. After 10 minutes he said he had to leave. Never heard back from either of them. Asked for simple feedback via email and never heard anything. Spoke to another former colleague of mine who works there and they said I dodged a bullet and that basically the company is a mess being run by a religious zealot who emails bible passages to employees.

Interview Questions

• How would you contribute to the role?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at SolarWinds in July 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter for a role and we had a phone interview on a Friday afternoon. It went well, and he wanted me to speak to the person with whom I would be possibly taking over the position for. He scheduled the interview for that Monday morning. He sent the email confirmation copying me, another person in HR, and the women who I was supposed to speak with, saying she would call me at the confirmed time. About an hour after the scheduled time after not received a call, I replied all to the email indicating I had not been called, and asking if there was a better time.
    Later that day I received from another woman in HR saying "This role was changed from what you applied for in duties, title and comp. Therefore we will not be moving forward at this time."
    I am not sure how from Friday afternoon to Monday morning it changed, and how no one could bother to contact. Kind of sloppy in my opinion. Shame for such a reputable company. Was excited about the prospect.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for this position?   Answer Question
    • What qualifies you for this position?   1 Answer
    • Tell me about your background.   1 Answer
    • Q: What was one thing that they asked you?   1 Answer

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Contacted through a recruiter for a contract to hire position. Initial phone screen with the direct manager. Asked back for an in-person interview. The interview was a marathon consisting of three 30 minute interviews back to back with the direct manager, director, and VP. Unlike any interview I've had before. Drink water and pack snacks...

They had one more interview and it was between the two of us. Did not receive an offer. Quick note: The hiring manager spoke a lot about the company and her own career path in the phone interview. Hard to get a word in. From other reviews I've read, other interviews tend to be the same.

Interview Questions

• Describe the color [insert color]? You have 5 minutes, teach me something new? What do you know about SolarWinds? How do you measure "success"?   Answer Question

Channel Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Austin, TX) in July 2016.

Interview

Brief phone screen with the recruiter - she doesn't have a clue what they do there. Phone screen with the National Channel Sales Manager was short and followed. Lastly, an in person panel interview with National Manager and Director. Manager was wearing Khakis and a polo, looked indifferent and did not look excited about the job. Talked about long hours and overtime as needed. Team is growing a bit, but no new products or major improvements coming down the pipeline. I asked about what they're most excited about going into 2017 and the answer was pretty much the only product they're known for - NPM. Very bland and basic approach.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an obstacle you've overcame.
      Tell me about your last role at xyz company.
      Do you have experience in Channel Sales.
      Tell me what you think the role entails.
      What drives people to sell a companies product.
      And multiple basic interview questions.
      Answer Question

Human Resources Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds in April 2016.

Interview

I was connected to the position through a colleague, and I had four phone interviews. The first was a standard interview with the recruiter, then two with the director over the position, and a final one with the SVP of HR. They never followed up with me after the last interview.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all related to the position and how my past experience transferred over. They're also big on culture fit and ask culture related questions.   Answer Question

CRO Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Austin, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

1st Day. About 5 consecutive interviews. This was long, and there were no snacks. There were drinks available and the people I met were very cordial and interested in what I was saying.
    They then notified me they needed for me to prepare an activity.
    2nd Day. Presented activity to hiring manager and team.

Interview Questions

• Explain thought process to design and execute a test plan.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Initial phone conversation with employee contact, then did a brief design challenge and presented on webex to two designers, a followup phone screen with HR, then scheduled for in-person half day of interviews starting with hour presentation to design team on my past projects, then five half-hour 2:1's with designers and project managers.

Interview Questions

• "Why Solarwinds?" Designers asked about methods and past challenges and scenarios. Product managers grilled me on which was better, iPhone or Android.   Answer Question

Order Processor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled a phone interview, then never called or notified. The interview was then rescheduled and I was called at a completely different time. I was asked an illegal question: "Do you have anything that could interfere with you working overtime, like kids and other family obligations?" During the interview process, It felt as though the objective was to frighten me away rather than inspire, influence and challenge me to be interested in the company and job. The whole process left a bitter taste in my mouth and I ended up feeling relieved that I wasn't given an offer

Interview Questions

• "Do you have any obligations that might interfere with you working overtime like kids and other family members?"   Answer Question