SolarWinds Interview Questions | Glassdoor

SolarWinds Interview Questions

Interviews at SolarWinds

2.7

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview

Overall, this was a streamlined interview process. The turnaround time from application to offer was ~two weeks. There were two phone screens, and two one-on-one in-person interviews. Overall positive interview experience.

Learning and Development Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Austin, TX) in September 2019.

Interview

In total, this was a 3 month long process which included 8 interviews:

One 30 min phone interview with recruiter
      One 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager
      One in person, 1 hour interview with hiring manager
      One in person, 30 min interview with HR exec

At this point I was told by the recruiter that they'd be making a decision in the next week. The following week I email him and he suggested we touch base via phone and never called.
    Then a few weeks later I get a call from a new recruiter who wants to schedule more interviews. He didn't seem familiar with anything that had occurred prior. I figure at this point they're on the fence about me so I oblige. Continued interview process with the following:

Three, 30 min phone interviews with 3 different execs (new recruiter had sent an old resume to the execs even though I had submitted my current resume to the first recruiter)
      One, 30 minute in-person presentation to a panel of execs

Interview Questions

• Interview questions: Numerous questions surrounding my experience, coaching abilities and dealing with difficult participants.   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at SolarWinds.

Interview

I had one phone interview with a marketing manager and then a 2-hour on-site interview with several members of the marketing team.

Pros:
    • The office is beautiful
    • The location is good
    • The salary was at/slightly above market average

Cons:
    • I was not given parking instructions prior to my arrival and had to navigate this myself
    • The HR girl who came to get me was unprofessional; She called me by the wrong name, offered me a drink only to then make me get it myself, and admitted to forgetting to send me a list of my interviewers (which is standard practice and would’ve been very useful in helping me prepare).
    • I was not given an office tour of any kind and instead was confined to a tiny room where people cycled in, one after another.
    • The interview sessions (5 in total, though it was supposed to be 6) felt rushed. The questions were all over the place, and the questions that were consistent seemed trivial (Ex: “What are your hobbies outside of
    work?”)
    • The team director, whom I spoke with last, was aggressive and self-centered. She claimed she was protective of her team, pressed me on why I wanted to work at a company of SolarWinds’ size, and warned me of past employees’ struggles in coping with the “bureaucracy.”

Congrats, guys — You officially deterred me from ever working here.

Manager, Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Draper, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Draper, UT) in March 2019.

Interview

I had a phone screen and was asked to come on site to have an interview with the Director and VP. After the second interview, I never heard from the company again. I understand if I wasn't selected, I can handle that. The worst response from me would have been that I may have asked about what I could work on for my future endeavors. I has been over a month and there has been no response from the company . If this is indicative of how they function day to day, then I am relieved that they decided to not reach back out.

Sales Operation Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Morrisville, NC) in March 2019.

Interview

Let me preface by saying I was given a verbal offer, not a written, so I say I wasn't given an offer...but based on the conversation and what the recruiter said I had no reason not to think I was going to get one....

I was extremely disappointed with this whole experience. After applying only a recruiter contacted me at the end of February to schedule a phone interview. We had it scheduled and he missed it. This should have been my first warning sign. But I was excited about the position...he then called me about 2 weeks after the missed phone interview explaining he was on vacation and couldn't reach out. So we talked and he set me up for an on site interview, the middle of March, with the hiring manager and team. It went great and I left super pumped.

The recruiter then called me 2 days later saying that they wanted to move forward with me and they wanted to gauge my level of interest. A call another 2 days later extended me a verbal offer and I accepted. I was told a written offer "was on the way".

3 days later I get a call saying that a 'crucial HR step' had been skipped and that I needed to phone interview with a VP. So I did that. All went well.

Another week goes by and then again, 'another crucial HR step' got overlooked...I have yet again another phone interview. By this point I'm thinking...something is weird here. That interview went great.

I wait another week and the recruiter texts me and says, as soon as he hears something he will let me know, hopefully by the end of the week. That was at the beginning of April. I have called him twice with no response. I understand in big companies things sometimes happen, but the job posting is still up.

I think it is EXTREMELY unethical to make an actual verbal offer to someone and then ghost them without any explanation. I am not sure if it is the recruiter or if the company is so disorganized they don't know what they are doing. I have also tried to get in touch with HR directly, for some sort of closure - with no luck. No one ever answers the phone and I don't know who I would even need to speak to. Very disappointed with how this went down, I was so excited about the job itself and the team in that department seemed like awesome people who knew what they were doing...unfortunately someone in HR didn't.

Interview Questions

• Where do you want your career to be going over the next couple of years?   Answer Question

Email Security Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at SolarWinds (New York, NY) in February 2019.

Interview

Group Interview of 7 people. First we introduced ourselves, then we took two tests. One consisting of rational reasoning questions and one regarding programming skills. Then we were given a group activity, in order to solve a logical problem.

Interview Questions

• Group Interview of 7 people. First we introduced ourselves, then we took two tests. One consisting of rational reasoning questions and one regarding programming skills.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Raleigh, NC) in October 2018.

Interview

After interviewing with this company, I don't think I could ever work there. No one seemed excited to be there and no one talked about working for Solarwinds. Every question was some form of real-world scenario that they were experiencing and it sounded like they were all problems that none of the people I interviewed with knew how to solve. I didn't interview with one person that I thought really understood the role of Product Management. I also got the feeling that they were having a really hard time retaining people, which seems to indicate either an issue with the business or an issue with management. When I go to work for a new company, I want to be excited about it. I never picked up on any excitement or satisfaction from any of the people I interviewed with. Ultimately, I told them I wasn't interested in moving forward.

Anonymous Interview

Interview

Interviewed over the phone and in the office. No response or followup from Solarwinds about the job. I feel as though Solarwinds was unprofessional for not communicating a response or followup.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds in September 2018.

Interview

Put out feelers on job board, contacted by HR. Phone screen by HR, met the SDR manager and their manager. Very simple, completed in two steps. Offer given the next day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you put together a plan that succeeded.   Answer Question

Director of Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagle Mountain, UT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at SolarWinds (Eagle Mountain, UT) in September 2018.

Interview

I have talked to multiple recruiters over the past few years and with each one, I have had an awful experience.

I recently had a recruiter reach out to me about the Director of Sales role in Utah. She contacted me on the 29th of September to schedule an interview and I responded to her that same day and the next day to clarify a question I had. She never responded.

I emailed her again on the 16th of October.. more than 2 weeks later to see if the position was filled or not.

The recruiter finally emailed me back on the 19th of October. She asked if I could have a phone call the next day. I emailed her back about an hour later saying yes, that the afternoon would work for me.

She then emailed me back and said nevermind, that they had enough candidates.

I was really taken aback.. I had a similar situation with a recruiter from this company asking for an interview and then never getting back to me and then say they were not filling the position.

To have them ask for an interview and then cancel it the same day is just bad practice.

I shared my thoughts with her and she said that they could consider me for other roles in the future. I said no thank you.

If a company treats potential employees like that, then that is a company I would never want to work for.

I'm really embarrassed for them and hope they take measures to fix this broken and demeaning process.

If anyone at corporate would like to reach out to me, please do.