SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch twice a week, free sodas (in 52 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, great people to work with (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweatshop, no work life balance (in 30 reviews)

• No work life balance they expect 10 hours a day and don't plan to take time off (in 13 reviews)

1. "Sr. IT Manager"

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people, good working culture with IT

Cons

There are no cons working for IT at Solarwinds.

"Growing but too quickly"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Lunch 2x per week and free drinks/snacks. Relaxed culture. Able to talk directly to top execs and everyone knows who you are

Cons

The salary scale is off. Looking at the reviews many of the tech positions are making below average pay where Product Mgrs, Marketing Mgrs, etc are paid very high . For a tech company,this does not compute. The health insurance costs are above average for a company this size. They are moving to an open work environment (no cubes, dividers, just a big open room). Though companies say they do this to encourage collaboration it is really a cost measure that you can squeeze more heads in a smaller space. The company keeps acquiring other companies and this is causing so many issues with trying to work togethr

Advice to Management

If you want to keep your tech talent you need to offer perks besides lunch. Gym membership or fitness benefit would be one thing, tuition reimbursement and work from home. The useless and frequent travel between offices due to all these mergers is a waste of money that could be better spent. Listen to your customers more and empower your people to work together to create positive change

3. "Momentum"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work/life balance
    Interesting field of tech
    Nice coworkers

Cons

Zero interaction or clarity from management to employees about direction or culture. Zero company goals (aside from sales figures which most are removed from) . No leadership architecture or room to advance. Confusing product architecture. Focus is on selling and not on creating good products. 2x lunch a week isn’t very good and usually runs out.

Advice to Management

Learn your employees names? Setup a structure to help employees learn and improve and grow internally instead of just taking direction and leaving cause there is no where to aspire to.

"Great product, but no culture or investment in employees."

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So yes, lunch twice a week is nice, as most have posted, however, most food is average, at best. Gym is decent at HQ location, and they do cover that in benefits. SW suite of products is very good.

Cons

There is no culture. Period. HR will tell you they have it, and they have food truck day, and free ice cream, but at the core it does not exist between employees and management. Some teams are better (marketing) but others (sales, IT) are not. If you are looking at a Sales position, plan to be there less than one year, as they burn through staff, and constantly changing hit rates. I’ve never seen a department go through so many staff.

If you are interviewing, ask your interviewer how long they have been with the company. Make sure you can talk to someone that has been there for less than one year. If they have been there more than 3 years, consider that person a lifer, as they are most likely part of the problem with Solarwinds. Folks that have been there multiple years, have fallen into the day to day and are not willing or unable to push teams into different directions. Many times they are even blocked by entrenched upper management.

Other than putting money into development, this company is extremely cheap, since their buyout. We needed additional staff, and quite frankly requests fell of deaf ears. Requests that were suggested were often cheap contractors and interns. It was also unacceptable how long it took to get approvals for new equipment or travel. I had little budget for training. Health benefits have also become more expensive the last few years.

I also found it was very difficult to move up. I could only ask so many times, and even though I felt I gave them every chance, I’m glad I finally took my leave.

The CEO is very inspiring at first, but after sitting in on many all hands meetings, it’s the same boring message repackaged over and over. “Fail often, but fail fast...” (Ex SW employees will know what I’m talking about.) IMO, he only cares about sales, and the next acquisition.

Advice to Management

Get out from under the Private Equity deal and go public- again. This company was better before the buyout. Once that is done it’s time to ditch the CEO and the CFO. The new CIO is extremely sharp- put her in charge.

I would say invest more in employees development and growth from within, but until there is actual money and resources to invest in this process, this company will not grow.

"Circling the drain"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people that came as part of a merger or acquisition are really amazing.

Cons

Absolutely horrible sales culture. It's written into the handbook that your compensation and commission can be changed at any point in time without notice.

They execute this option frequently.

Sales numbers are intentionally unreachable for individuals, causing averages just above the half way mark, while the company as a whole is meeting its goal, and this affects both commission and bonus employees.

Senior Management commonly repeat the phrase "if they don't like it they can quit", or "why are they complaining? They haven't quit yet."

Do yourself a favor and find a better organization, where you might actually be encouraged to hit your goals or even exceed them.

Advice to Management

If someone treated your kids the way you treat your employees, would you want them to continue working there?

"Join Solarwinds IT department at your own peril"

Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch 3x a week, though the catering companies chosen have become less appealing during the last 12-18 months

Cons

Upper management of the IT department doesn't trust any of the engineers and practices extreme micro management. Only those who are good at kissing-butt and sucking up to upper management are able to be promoted to positions of leadership. Middle management caused an extremely toxic environment and was the primary reason the Systems team lost 3/4 of its personnel in less than 3 months and replaced them with much less experience personnel and a much lower pay rate. Broken promises!!!

Advice to Management

Start owning up to commitments to your employees and follow through on promises. A thorough review of upper/middle management of the IT department should be conducted.

"Sales... sweatshop but easy money"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For an inside sales position, it really doesn't require much brainpower or talent to make great money here. What decides your success at SW will be the office politics and if you are favored enough to get the "good leads." While there are many cons of this company, WHICH I REALLY URGE YOU TO CONSIDER before taking a position here, this is a pretty great way to get your foot in the door for someone with no software sales experience.
    Free lunch on Tuesday & Friday, stocked snack bar, coffee, RedBull galore, etc.
    Amazing products for a great price, it really can sell itself so you're never really having to "hunt" for the sale.

Cons

The biggest and most common complaint you'll see and I've experienced is that the majority of management is incompetent. There are a few good leaders here, but they normally don't last too long because they can easily find a better culture in this industry. It truly seems to start from the top, however I think I've actually only met our President once, which is an example of how out-of-touch he is with the actual sales floor and what it's like to actually sell our products.

Included in this lack of even decent management:

- Terrible morale on the sales floor (many reps always threatened with being put on a "Performance Improvement Plan" before they get fired... when in actuality there is no plan to help them improve).
    - Constant realignments of the sales org and dramatic changes that make it hard for even the historically best performers to hit quota (only 6% hit last quarter)...
    - That is... if you get a quota. We didn't get ours until halfway through the quarter of Q4 2017. I guess it's not the worst, when they were so unrealistic that 92% of the sales team did not hit. Yikes!
    - No training or development plans. HR rolled out a "Roadmap 4 Results" program that is supposed to be used to qualify us for merit based raises, professional development plans, etc. but I have yet to see or hear of anything come from this.
    - Micromanagement that makes our customers hate our sales process. Curious what they think? Do a simple Google search of "SolarWinds sales reddit"
    - HR. Wow. Just so many HR infractions that at this point I'm surprised the Labor Board hasn't gotten involved.
    - If you are looking at actually growing in a sales profession, this is not the place for you. You will be constantly pressured to use tired and archaic sales tactics circa 1996, while no one is ever encouraged to even pick up a book or read an article on the latest software sales trends.

Advice to Management

+ It starts with the top. A constant complaint that pervades throughout the company, but no changes have been made.
    + I can really only speak to the sales side, but start being realistic about what numbers your reps can hit so that you are not beating them down to in turn beat their customers down so that they get the deal this week vs next (I mean we have a quarterly quota).
    + A performance evaluation and survey by HR that actually affects a change in the org; for example - eliminating useless management AND reps that aren't actually doing anything to make the company more successful.

"Needs some work"

I worked at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Free lunch 2 twice a week, some really good people, strong products.

Cons

Constant change in multiple leadership roles. Some office politics. No real advancement path. Cash cow for the private investors until they spin it public again.

Advice to Management

Nothing is going to change until a new CEO comes in. There are good products and some good people. If you join, understand it will most likely be a short-term role and have a plan to move out when needed or looking for a promotion.

"Non equitable benefits: check PTO and healthcare"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, free lunch twice a week

Cons

While salaries feel in line, overall comp and benefits are not. PTO and healthcare are poor. Don't look for good paternity or maternity leave or anything for adoptive parents. You won't find it here.

Executive management seesaw on goals in a way that would be funny if it weren't so upsetting for all the people who really want to see projects to the end. (Focus more old shoring up old products! No! Focus on these new products! No! Focus on acquisitions!)

Advice to Management

You need to keep the same objectives for at the very least 18 months or you will never accomplish anything

Your HR department is not giving you a good overview of the market. I expect you to be losing qualified candidates given your total comp.

10. "Great Pay, Horrible Management"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great PTO and fun people

Cons

horrible management. they change policy on you whenever they feel convenient. plus they don't even give quotas out until month 2 of the quarter