SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Smart people, free lunch twice a week" (in 53 reviews)

• "Free lunch twice a week, great people to work with" (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little work/life balance BUT with changes to Exempt status' if you are in a certain class, your hours (even on salary) are compensated" (in 31 reviews)

• "Sweatshop, no work life balance" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Tech support rep"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

always learning, improving my value always. Highly visible. 99% customer facing.

Cons

high growth. Work 100% time on job, very task orientated. Health Care is weak.

Advice to Management

continue to implement team strategy for faster solutions.

"Good, Unless You Want a Family"

Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good and stable place to work. As far as "benefits and perks", it's great -- if you're single, like BBQ, tacos, potato chips, cookies soda and the gym.

Cons

If you want a family and you're a woman, beware, you should look elsewhere. There is NO maternity leave. There is 2 weeks of "parental leave", which is paid, but that's it. Do they really expect a woman to return to work after 2 weeks after just having a baby? If not then, what are her options? Otherwise, you'll have to buy disability insurance and use your PTO.

Advice to Management

Support families and women. Having children is not a disability and should not require a woman to get, pay for and use disability insurance. If there was any value here for working mothers, there would be maternity leave. The industry standard is at least 12 weeks, with many local companies offering 20. To offer only 2 weeks is embarrassing, shameful and a true insult to working mothers.

"The Engineers and Product are GREAT!!! Sales Team Needs Improvement."

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SolarWinds software is a great product and easy to sell. The engineers are some of the best and brightest. The product team is always working on new releases. Customers are happy.

Cons

Sales reps usually last 3 months before they are fired.

Management is constantly changing.

Sales reps made a lot of money before but those days are long gone.

Everything is "case by case" so there is no consistency to the sales process. Tons of internal conflict.

No one knows what is going on and there is no one to ask.

Sales reps who do well end up getting fired too.

No work from home and vacations are rarely approved.

Management presses the sales reps to constantly press the customers for daily and sometimes hourly updates on pending deals.

Advice to Management

Replace your motto, "Perception is Reality", with something else. Anything is better than that.

Top reps have unique abilities and make things look easy because they are simply really good at what they do.

You lost all your top sales reps because you either promoted them and paid them half as much money or because you let them down over and over again or both.

As of Q12018, upper management worldwide (execs) are doing great and SolarWinds will only get better.

4. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Amazing people to work with and learn from, quality products and fun and flexible environment.
    Great to see the collaboration of teams.

Cons

From time to time you need to deal with a lot of processes

Advice to Management

Cant think of any

"Accountant"

Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Accountant in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, free drinks and lunch a few times a week,

Cons

Just not my steez. Also the quarterly Mega Church inspired pep rallies / motivational speeches from CEO. I suggested they get a marching band or drill team for these events but this like most of my other genius ideas was not taken into consideration.

Advice to Management

Get a marching band for the quarterly pep rallies. The marching band at my High School played "So Fresh and So Clean" and EVERYONE loved it. They also did rough riders anthem but given the Christian vibe of the company I think I would leave that one off the playlist.

"Too Many Mental Disorders To List"

Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Individual Contributor in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some say it's great to have Solarwinds on a resume. I suppose it's like surviving your first year of the apocolypse. If you make it, your better for it and can make it anywhere. Most of my co-workers are good, solid people. Like a lot of Austin tech companies, they feed you lunch, two times a week. Kuerig coffee machines in every kitchen with k-cups, tea, also sodas and snack carts. The building is really cool with modern design, and the campus is attractive. Apparently being a private company is a "Pro".

Cons

Positions here are mostly a revolving door, and the attrition is incredible, from individual contributors, to managers, to VP and C level roles. Morale is pretty low across the board. I'm not in sales, but all you hear is "sell, sell, sell!' with very little sharing of the philosophy or goals of the company, aside from hitting quarterly and annual goals. The energy level is depressing and the culture is rife with adult ADD, bipolarity, childish middle-school backstabbing in its leadership. The CEO makes random decisions and will change the course of how we do business on a dime. One quarter it's this approach. The next quarter, it's abandon that and try this other approach. So many managers, including mine, are manipulative, untrustworthy people only out for themselves. This place is pretty old school. As people walk into the building in the mornings, it looks like that old black and white footage of factory workers during the depression. Typically by Wednesday, I hear people greet each other with "is it Friday yet?" in the hallways or in meetings. Don't expect to be praised for a job well done or promoted with any normally assumed timing if you're looking for a career track. At the end of the day, I think people who are still here after a year are just waiting around for a better job offer, retirement, IPO, or a miracle.

Advice to Management

This could be a great company, but you're too busy looking at that big dollar sign in the sky to realize what a great value you have in the people right under your upward-turned noses. You need a progressive, forward-thinking CEO and not a single minded guy with a myopic point of view.

"Constant chaos"

Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

During the time it was public there were stock grants. Was able to hire a lot of people I've worked with over the years, and grow an amazing team at one point.

Cons

Meritocracy is a dirty word, to advance at solarwinds you need to have been there "from the beginning" or to kiss rear. After going private there was an overall feeling of not needing to be held accountable anymore... Bonuses have steadily decreased or been eliminated, benefits costs are high, salaries are left off.

Advice to Management

Treat people with transparency and honesty. Don't promote based on tenure but on merit. The company is now completely different from the Austin nucleus that started, with the acquisitions of cloud and MSP businesses the redundancy is clear but the plans for transitioning are not, and life is too short for constant chaos. Promoting from within means putting people in control who don't know how/what to decide - the consequences are catastrophic, you spend your day putting out the same fire every time, and again life is too short for that.

"Growing but too quickly"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Lunch 2x per week and free drinks/snacks. Relaxed culture. Able to talk directly to top execs and everyone knows who you are

Cons

The salary scale is off. Looking at the reviews many of the tech positions are making below average pay where Product Mgrs, Marketing Mgrs, etc are paid very high . For a tech company,this does not compute. The health insurance costs are above average for a company this size. They are moving to an open work environment (no cubes, dividers, just a big open room). Though companies say they do this to encourage collaboration it is really a cost measure that you can squeeze more heads in a smaller space. The company keeps acquiring other companies and this is causing so many issues with trying to work togethr

Advice to Management

If you want to keep your tech talent you need to offer perks besides lunch. Gym membership or fitness benefit would be one thing, tuition reimbursement and work from home. The useless and frequent travel between offices due to all these mergers is a waste of money that could be better spent. Listen to your customers more and empower your people to work together to create positive change

"Great product, but no culture or investment in employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

So yes, lunch twice a week is nice, as most have posted, however, most food is average, at best. Gym is decent at HQ location, and they do cover that in benefits. SW suite of products is very good.

Cons

There is no culture. Period. HR will tell you they have it, and they have food truck day, and free ice cream, but at the core it does not exist between employees and management. Some teams are better (marketing) but others (sales, IT) are not. If you are looking at a Sales position, plan to be there less than one year, as they burn through staff, and constantly changing hit rates. I’ve never seen a department go through so many staff.

If you are interviewing, ask your interviewer how long they have been with the company. Make sure you can talk to someone that has been there for less than one year. If they have been there more than 3 years, consider that person a lifer, as they are most likely part of the problem with Solarwinds. Folks that have been there multiple years, have fallen into the day to day and are not willing or unable to push teams into different directions. Many times they are even blocked by entrenched upper management.

Other than putting money into development, this company is extremely cheap, since their buyout. We needed additional staff, and quite frankly requests fell of deaf ears. Requests that were suggested were often cheap contractors and interns. It was also unacceptable how long it took to get approvals for new equipment or travel. I had little budget for training. Health benefits have also become more expensive the last few years.

I also found it was very difficult to move up. I could only ask so many times, and even though I felt I gave them every chance, I’m glad I finally took my leave.

The CEO is very inspiring at first, but after sitting in on many all hands meetings, it’s the same boring message repackaged over and over. “Fail often, but fail fast...” (Ex SW employees will know what I’m talking about.) IMO, he only cares about sales, and the next acquisition.

Advice to Management

Get out from under the Private Equity deal and go public- again. This company was better before the buyout. Once that is done it’s time to ditch the CEO and the CFO. The new CIO is extremely sharp- put her in charge.

I would say invest more in employees development and growth from within, but until there is actual money and resources to invest in this process, this company will not grow.

"Momentum"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work/life balance
    Interesting field of tech
    Nice coworkers

Cons

Zero interaction or clarity from management to employees about direction or culture. Zero company goals (aside from sales figures which most are removed from) . No leadership architecture or room to advance. Confusing product architecture. Focus is on selling and not on creating good products. 2x lunch a week isn’t very good and usually runs out.

Advice to Management

Learn your employees names? Setup a structure to help employees learn and improve and grow internally instead of just taking direction and leaving cause there is no where to aspire to.