Southern States Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Southern States Interview Questions

2.6

Senior Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southern States (Richmond, VA).

Interview

fairly straight forward with the standard questions. Started with HR over the phone and then in person with the actual department heads. walked through my background and then discussed who and what SSC was. There was a time for me to ask them questions and then we finished off with if I was interested and felt I could do the job. I was certain I could and left with them my confidence that I could. The HR portion on the phone was about an hour and then the in person interview was about an hour and half. They used one person (HR) as the point of contact and she was extremely helpful.

Interview Questions

• Was I able to learn the job and was I interested in learning something new.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Southern States (Richmond, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

Had a single phone interview that was fairly standard but given by an exceptionally nice HR lady, then had a secondary, face-to-face interview with the same HR lady and my future manager. The face-to-face interview was similar to the phone interview but the manager was dull

Interview Questions

• What does merchandising mean to you?
      What do you seek most in management?
      What was your best accomplishment at your current job?
      Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Southern States (Richmond, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

They took the time to ask me more personal questions and the interview felt like a genuine conversation. I did not feel like I was judged in anyway negatively. I was asked questions about school and other organizations that I am apart of. I would have like to have received an offer because the interview went so great but it was a learning experience.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southern States.

Interview

Not a difficult interviewing process. First they call for a phone interview and ask standard questions. Next they bring you in for a panel face to face interview and ask more situation type questions. Last they bring you in for a meet and greet.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't a negotiation phase for the intern position

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southern States (Lexington-Fayette, KY) in January 2015.

Interview

Casual. I wore jeans and a nice shirt and boots to the interview. We sat in my managers office and he interviewed me for about 20 minutes and then he had the assistant manager sit in for the last part.

Cashier Interview

Interview

There is a phone call, then there is a requirement to meet in person with store manager. There is an interview explaining yourself and what qualifications and experience you have while also stating what you can bring to the company and business. Then there is a tour of the building and meeting employers. Next, you will fill out paper work and then begin work.

Interview Questions

• Why should Southern States choose you?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Harrisonburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Southern States (Harrisonburg, VA) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview, face to face interview, personality test, and presentation to managers about why they should hire you. Process was less than 2 weeks long. Work culture was great, Managers starting from the top down really care about employees. Be prepared to answer questions about your experience and how you would add value to the team.

Interview Questions

• How could you find new ways to create new business? What are some new strategies for creating new sales?   1 Answer

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Southern States (Richmond, VA) in July 2011.

Interview

Southern States was very professional. Communication was prompt and happened exactly according to the timeline I was given. The organization also communicated salary information up front. All of the employees I encountered were pleasant and helpful. I did not feel like I was a number while interviewing. I was treated with a great deal of respect. The people who interviewed me were interested in talking about communication strategy and not interested in talking about standard HR questions. It was one of the most engaging interviews I have ever had.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Southern States (Richmond, VA) in May 2010.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by someone in human resources who set up an interview with the district manager at the Corporate Headquarters. Met the district manager and we discussed the position over lunch. Then we visited one of his stores. I had previously worked for this company nearly two decades ago and have patronixed their stores so I knew a little bit about them and their products.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked: "so are you married? You got any kids?"   1 Answer
    • Interviewer asked: "Are you relocatable?"   1 Answer

Service Interview

Application

The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Southern States in February 2011.

Interview

slow to respond and inadequate in their apporach