Spectrum Health Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 18, 2017

2.7

Information Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

External is a much longer process. Internal candidates will be interviewed by a couple of team members for fit and function. Typically, everyone knows each other already so these are more or less an extension of a conversation that already started prior to the internal position being posted. In other words, the hiring manager will usually have someone in mind.

External is always done through HR - there is a vetting process and typically a short interview with the HR resources to ensure you meet the minimal qualifications. At this point your resume will be forwarded on to the hiring manager who will then float it to their senior people for response. In some instances the hiring manager will reach out for a phone call but most often this is delegated to members of the team. Sometimes this will be conversational but it could also be the dreaded behavioral analysis interview - 'tell us about a time where you failed at something'...... blah blah blah. This is painful for everyone involved so just know that it is an HR requirement. We didn't choose to go that route.

Once you make it past the behavioral then there will be a broader interview with other members of the team. Questions will be focused on your fit for the role and also for your interactions with other members of the team. In short, you need to know your stuff and fit with the culture of the team. You may be asked to come in a couple of times and you should know ahead of time that this process drags on much longer than it should.

If you make it past those rounds then HR will authorize the hiring manager to make an offer. Again, this usually takes longer than it should so you might have to wait awhile. Once the offer is made and accepted then you work with HR to finalize the details - start date, drug testing, background check, orientation, etc.......

Interview Questions

• In the technical interview I was presented with a network diagram and asked to walk through it - describe the flow of data, the roles of various pieces if equipment and a determination of how it might be improved upon for a set of given circumstances   Answer Question
    • I was asked about HIPAA security and the difference between required and addressable components.   Answer Question
    • I was asked about current industry certifications   Answer Question
    • I was asked about my education and any internships that might help in the role   Answer Question

Negotiation

My recruiter did most of my negotiation - not sure if it is still possible but I was able to negotiate for more paid time off and accrual rate for time off. I was also able to start with time available for vacation instead of having to build up time through normal accrual. I was able to negotiate for a relocation stipend.

Medical Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

I first had a phone interview with one of their recruiters and then a follow-up, second interview on site. I got to talk with the office supervisor and the practice manager as well as already working medical assistants. It was very comfortable and a positive experience.

Interview Questions

• If we were to talk with someone you worked with at "XYZ" what would they say about you?   Answer Question

Speech Pathology Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids, MI) in November 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with my potential supervisor, who was hiring for herself and for another speech pathologist. She had asked me to submit my resume and cover letter to Alexis Kurek, who is the coordinator of hiring student interns. However, she had misplaced my resume.

Project Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Worcester, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

Horrible! Was called in early last week for an interview on Friday. It went great even lasted over an hour. I was told I will call you by Tuesday either way, don't you hate when you don't get called back? I said absolutely thank you. Half hour before close or business on Tuesday no phone call. I call the interviewer and he says that he was busy but emailed me earlier (a lie) and that I did not get advanced to the next stage because I am not fully qualified under an area of specification that is not listed at all in the advertisement or was brought up at all in the interview! Completely unprofessional on all accounts. Scum to say the least.

Interview Questions

• They did not ask me if I had experience in the criminal justice system nor was this listed in the ad.   1 Answer

Unit Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids, MI) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview was more of them telling you about the position, seeing if that's what you're looking for, etc. Pretty laid back. Interview in person with manager was professional, they were timely with an offer as well.

Lab Tech Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenville, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Greenville, MI).

Interview

The interview process I must say was not bad. When I went in for the interview everything sounded like it was going to be great. But it was after when you saw that they didn't do like they said. That unless you were favored things didn't go well for you.

Senior Strategic Planning Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Spectrum Health.

Interview

3 phone interviews over the course of 2 months and 6 in-person interviews over the course of 1 day. Met with peers, supervisors and executives. Everyone was very nice and professional.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the projects you've worked on. Mini case.   Answer Question

Physician Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids, MI) in August 2016.

Interview

I first applied online and this was followed by an email from a recruiter. Then, I had a phone interview followed by a half-day interview. Site interview included meeting with other providers at my potential office, as well as seeing a few patients with my potential supervising physician and then meeting with a physician in leadership.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

Phone screen with HR, followed by phone screen with management, followed by in person. I actually had a few different interviews with some in person discussions. I was told the process would be very fast. It wasn't. Not sure if I was deliberately lied to, but nothing I was told ended up being true. I was told things move very fast. They did not. The process took months. I ended up just giving up on following up and moved on. I was told I was a great fit for multiple roles. When I followed up, I heard nothing. I had an in-person and was told I was wanted and skills/background were impressive. Ultimately I was denied for one role but informed it was because I was a better fit for another. I inquired about the other role and kept getting put off. In the end I just decided to focus my efforts elsewhere. Apparently being a large employer means you can lead on and ignore potential candidates.

Nursing Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Spectrum Health (Grand Rapids, MI) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied to the Meijer Heart Center and got a call back about a week later to set up a phone interview. My phone interview was the next day, they asked me about background information, availability, which unit I would most prefer in the MHS and just some simple questions to get to know me as a person. I had to fill out a behavioral assessment and then got a call the next day to set up an interview. My interview went well, they were very easy going and I even got a tour around the unit after we were done. They called back three days later and offered me the job, which I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when everything seemed to be going wrong and yet you made things go better.   Answer Question
    • Do you have a fear of blood or bodily fluids?   Answer Question
    • Tell me why you would like this position.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when a coworker was acting inappropriately and how you handled that situation.   Answer Question