Spectrum Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Spectrum Health President and CEO Richard C. Breon
Richard C. Breon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Large organization with many complex interactive relationshisp" (in 15 reviews)

• "Staffing: Short-staffed almost every shift" (in 13 reviews)

1. "Positive work place. Cares about employees/rewards them for their hard work and dedication to the health of patients."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Supportive coworkers
    -Benefits
    -Incentive
    -Friendly staff
    -Managerial staff always willing to help
    -You do not feel left alone
    -Everyone is approachable; don’t need to fear asking questions

Cons

-Open unit model: if you’re not one for change, it can be tough being pulled go other unfamiliar units when staffing is in demand. Some members of other units don’t seem to provide the support or assistance you need.
    -At times it feels like there is a divide between charge nurses and staff RNs.

2. "low pay & lack of employee support"

Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Patient Access Representative in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

working with patients was great, I worked with some nice people who worked hard, helping others was fulfilling,

Cons

pay is low, morale among employees I worked with was not high at all, schedules can and were changed without our consent or agreement, you either work it or quit (I was actually told this by a manager) vacation time is accrued and almost impossible to get, no sick days, if your kid gets sick your vacation time is taken & you can go into negative vacation hours so it is almost impossible, if you are sick you have to find someone to take your spot-- while you are sick so you are calling everyone hoping to find someone to help, you are still penalized that day for those hours and you still have to make those hours up, (triple whammy), breaks are so short, managers seemed not to care about employees just themselves, trying to advance is almost impossible, people that had been there 12 yrs had gone no where, were not making much more than when they started there, and did not have options to train for new areas, you get in trouble for staying over 1 min late and they force you to leave 1 minute early the next day to keep schedule perfect. even if you are working with a patient people are telling you that you have to clock out and you get talked to after you are done and told not to go over your work time-crazy that customers/patients are not top priority and schedules are, where I worked Hospital and med center) People came in sick all the time with bad stuff because they had no sick time to use and they were afraid of getting in trouble, so it was constant pass the sickness to everyone all the time -I felt it was weird because I thought the medical facilities would have that as a major no no , when doctors get mad about a patient being late to an apt managers make you demean yourself by making you go to that doctor face to face and they force you to apologize for something out of your control-I had to do this 2 times and each time the doctors scolded me like I was a child and said that I best not do it again even though it was out of my control I felt humiliated & embarrassed to have to do that in front of the nurses and staff who stared at me the entire time-I definitely did not feel respected by the doctors or management

Advice to Management

Pay people fairly, give raises, give more that a 10 min break 1 time a day, give people some sick days to use for themselves & kids, allow people to actually accrue vacation time & stop penalizing everyone for everything (when someone works a year and has 8 hrs of vacation time accrued that is ridiculous), allow people to train in other areas or take classes to up their skills so they can actually move to other areas or get promoted, actually promote hard workers who know their stuff, take time to get to know your people & promote understanding, empathy, compassion for the employees among your managers who oversee areas such as admitting, registration, and nursing-these areas that work hard and have direct contact with customers and patients should be treated well and talked to with respect so they can pass that on to everyone coming in -I found that no managers cared about anything in the employees lives at all no one cared about the employee just about the time clock and numbers there was just no empathy or compassion -workers should not have to be treated like children who broke a lamp-they should not have to apologize for something out of their control to a doctor who is tossing around his importance just to humiliate you-this is unacceptable in todays society & in a hospital/medical setting for sure -just because someone isn't a doctor or upper administration doesn't mean they deserve less respect from the doctors you would stop losing so many people in your employment if the felt valued as a person and as an employee

"Ok if you like a high school environment"

Former Employee - Medical Coder in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Medical Coder in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Mean girls club. If you're not a favorite you will not receive recognition you deserve.

Advice to Management

Share business plan with employees and you'll be surprised at the support you will receive.

4. "Great place"

Former Employee - Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible where you work from

Cons

Not much for advancing career

Advice to Management

Keep on the path you're on - it'll help.

5. "Help desk"

Current Employee - Help Desk Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Help Desk Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job for anyone how knows basic computer work, equipped with very strong equipment and software, clean and friendly environment

Cons

No upward movement and small raises

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees career goals.

6. "Wanted to love this place."

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growth potential without knowing anything.

Cons

-Inefficient bureaucracy requiring Director or HR (the department on the biggest power trip in the company) approval for the most mundane operational tasks. Middle management has no real power or influence here- yet constantly hears HR barking about employee listening survey scores.

-Information Services leads the pack in inefficiency, ineffectiveness and lack of knowledge due to both inept leadership at all levels and low skill set of analysts. So long as you don’t need to use a computer at your job here you may be all set. (Unlikely there are any jobs not using computers and systems. Everyone will feel this pain)

-Leadership shuffle and restructure every few months usually based on some new HR or Consultant strategy. Contributes to lack of anyone knowing what the heck they are supposed to be doing - yet senior leadership constantly pats themselves on the back and throws parties celebrating their wild success. Underperformers are usually forgotten in this process handed from one leader to the next -leading to lack of productivity and knowledge organization wide

Advice to Management

Gain control in overgrown big budget corporate departments who try to justify their salaries and numbers of Directors by constantly scrutinizing operational areas with actual bottom line impact

Clean house in long-term ineffective leadership who know nothing about the business. Really clean house- not pass them from one corporate area to the next. Likewise stop promoting “people” people into leadership roles without any understanding of the subject matter they “lead”. This practice has and will come back to bite you in this highly regulated industry.

Get rid of consultants and hire people who actually know the business. Once hired listen to them and really empower them to make an impact. Stop power-hungry departments and corporate individuals (HR amongst others) from interfering with the change this company so desperately needs.

Bring compensation equity organization-wide. Wildly varying compensation policies based on one powertripping HR business partners philosophy leads to inequity and frustration across the organization.

Hire HR business partners and generalists with experience -not straight out of college then brainwash to the Spectrum dysfunction.

This organization desperately needs new blood with healthcare experience at more functional organizations.

7. "Several positions within the company"

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time

Pros

Employee perks, great employer

Cons

Moving up can be difficult, but it depends on the position you're in

8. "New Graduate RN"

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time

Pros

Nursing specialties available to new graduate RN's.

Cons

Bullied by senior nurses, minimal support from management despite their awareness.

9. "Overall a great place to work"

Current Employee - HVAC Technician in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - HVAC Technician in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Spectrum Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and work life balance

Cons

Little to no ongoing training

Advice to Management

Invest more in young talent. Make small concessions to reap large benefits from employees.

10. "Great Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Spectrum Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My team and leadership were great to work with. Good benefits and PTO. If you work hard, you are rewarded for it

Cons

Definitely a political feel from C-Suite