Sprout Social Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in July 2019.

Interview

I applied online through the Sprout Social website. A recruiter reached out to me the next day to arrange a HR phone screen, consisting of a brief overview of the company, culture, and role. About a week and a half later, I had a technical phone interview with a senior engineer.

The next step was a coding challenge. They gave me plenty of time to complete the challenge. Make sure you read the requirements thoroughly! There were plenty of opportunities go above and beyond to demonstrate technical knowledge. I took my time to make sure I didn't miss anything. The challenge was genuinely enjoyable!

The final step was a half-day onsite interview, consisting of three 2:1 technical interviews. The questions were similarly open-ended and involved plenty of opportunities to demonstrate technical knowledge. The team members were very helpful and accepting. It felt like a problem-solving conversation with coworkers (no one is trying to trick you). It's very clear that Sprout Social truly values diversity, equity, and inclusion. I was very impressed with their culture.

I was thrilled to get an offer! I leveraged a counteroffer to negotiate the base salary up a bit.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in March 2020.

Interview

I applied online late January 2020.  Process took 8 weeks.  Hiring manager phone screen on strategy/experience.  HR phone screen on compensation/start date etc.  Hiring manager phone interview on coaching/leadership experience.   An on-site interview/virtual 45 min presentation on topics they chose with another 45 minute panel Q/A with a couple of Directors and a SVP.

I'm a fan on Sprout Social.  They really spoke to my core values and I think the company is phenomenal.   The process was very transparent and went through unusual timing, due to the corona-virus, certain adjustments needed to be taken and it was done virtual instead of in-person.  I made it as far as the 45 minute presentation.    They asked me to make a 45 presentation covering the following topics below and another 45 min for Q/A:

1) Background - personal and professional
    2) Channel Sales and Leadership Experience
    3) Leadership Style - What type of leader are you? What are the standards you have put in place for your teams?
    4) Culture building - Define your current team's culture. How would you begin to build that culture at Sprout?
    5) Hiring Profile - What/who are you looking to hire to build your team? Please provide a profile for the AEs you would want to hire at Sprout.
    6) Coaching - Where/how would you been helping your people to improve? What type of training/tools have you invested in?
    7) Why you? Why are you the right person for this role?

Nine days after the interview and after sending a couple of follow-ups, I receive a generic email from the hiring manager that they received a lot of applications and they had to say no.   No further feedback.   It seems counter their core value of Caring Deeply, to ask prospective hires to spend a lot of time to make a presentation, practice & prepare, block off an afternoon and yet not take the time to give constructive feedback.   It's like sending a text to break up with someone. Perhaps, this isn't such a great place to work after all.

Respect should go both ways.

Interview Questions

• 1) What would your previous managers say about you regarding what you could improve on?
      2) What would you do to onboard quickly?
      3) What sort of apps/tools do you use for better time management?
      4) What sort of leader/leadership style do you work well with?
      5) What sort of leader/leadership style do you not work well with?
      6) If you could pick one specific channel to pursue right away, which one and why?
      7) Describe a past incident when you failed at something and what would you have done different?
      8) How would you have persuaded your leader to take action (related to #7)   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in February 2020.

Interview

Applied online and received and email a few days later from a recruiter. Phone screen with her. Next was a phone interview with hiring manager. Then was asked to come in for an in person interview. Received an offer the next day.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was first put in touch with a recruiter who was very friendly and made a note of talking out a few different positions with me. After we connected, he was straightforward with me and told me the initial role I applied to was too senior for me. He was incredibly transparent which was refreshing and told me he wanted to consider me for another AM role. This then led to a 45-minute phone interview and an onsite presentation. While this position may have still been a little senior, I didn't think there was anything from the interviews that lead me to believe I was not qualified enough for the position. Nonetheless, my recruiter called me after and told me they wanted to consider me for a more junior BDR position. The feedback was chalked up to experience and nothing else, no real great feedback (if it was experience the entire time, a simple resume review probably should've sufficed but I appreciated the opportunity). The recruiter then said the entire AM interview team wanted to consider me for a more junior BDR role (which my experience did line up with) and thought I'd be a perfect fit. He said he had passed along my resume to the Manager and handed me off via email to another recruiter who was responsible for the recruiting of that position. She reached out to me upon her return from PTO and gave me the lowdown on the position and gave me a timeline for next steps. She said she would check on the exact interview process since I had already been through everything for a higher level position. She assumed I would only have to do a short phone interview with the new manager. A week later she told me out of the blue that the manager of the BDR team did not even want to re-interview me and thought he already had better resumes in front of him. Apparently, the original recruiter I was talking to was on contract and his contract conveniently ended right in between the time I was interviewing. He didn't actually pass along my resume like he had mentioned earlier. I essentially wasted a month of time waiting and took two separate PTO days to accommodate their interview schedule. I felt bad for the second recruiter because she clearly got put in a tough situation that was not her fault, but it became clear that Sprout is disorganized and 1. has no idea what they're looking for 2. no idea how to evaluate talent 3. does not care about their perspective hires (which leads you to believe they don't value their employees as well). Worst interview experience I’ve ever had.

Interview Questions

Sprout Social Response

Jan 29, 2020 – Recruiting Director

Thank you for your candid feedback. We strive to create an insightful and positive interview experience for our candidates, and we didn't deliver on that commitment to you. My team is taking your feedback seriously and we'll be reviewing our internal processes to ensure we deliver a seamless recruitment experience for all of our candidates. We care deeply about our employees and prospective hires and appreciate your comments to help us do this better and hold ourselves accountable for missing the mark with your Sprout experience. We can do better, and will.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in January 2020.

Interview

Two phone screens and an on-site panel interview with a presentation. The biggest thing for people to know is that they expect you to download a free version of their software and train yourself fully on it before the on-site. Also, memorize any case studies related to your activity. The on-site interview is not to check your potential skills and see if you're a culture fit. They are looking to confirm that they don't have to train or onboard you. For people who are employed that they are trying to poach this is an interesting disconnect and a pretty tall ask. I could see it being easy if you're under employed or un-employed. Regardless, it's not a clear expectation that they set that others should be aware of if you're hoping to move forward with them.

Interview Questions

• We're having trouble viewing our metrics in Sprout. Can you tell me how to find those within the platform?   Answer Question

Sprout Social Response

Feb 3, 2020 – Recruiting Director

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're sorry you felt this way, as our interview process is designed to ensure both our candidates and interviewers can get a better sense for potential role fit by interacting with our product. For new hires we provide a robust orientation and product training specific to department and role.

We appreciate the time you invested with us at Sprout and wish you all the best with your search.

Customer Advocate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social.

Interview

I applied online to Sprout Social. The entire process lacked any human connection and you got the feeling you were interacting with an HR AI instead of an actual person. There was no initial phone call, just an email (that apparently you'd made met the bare minimum requirements) with an attached assignment. After the assignment I received an automated email that I would not be moving forward. Overall a two week waste of time that left me without any constructive criticism moving forward.

Interview Questions

• What excites you the most about business leveraging social media?   Answer Question

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in September 2019.

Interview

I initially applied via LinkedIn, and within a few days, I was invited to do a phone interview. I had the phone interview on a Thursday, was asked to do a written assessment on Friday, and was invited to interview in-person on the following Friday. In less than two hours after the interview, I received a phone call offering me the position (I still hadn't finished writing all of my thank you emails yet). I accepted right away. The entire process unfolded extremely quickly, and everything was explained very well.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a project you worked on from start to finish.
      Follow up: Looking back, what would you have done differently?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL).

Interview

My interview process was extended due to travel (by hiring team), but the recruitment team was clear about that and set appropriate expectations. Overall, I felt very well-informed, everyone I talked with and met with was prepared, thoughtful and personable.

My process began with a screening with someone on the recruitment team, followed by a phone call with the hiring manager, an activity, and a final interview series that was completed in person at the Sprout Social HQ.

Overall, the process was aligned to the role and questions/activity were appropriately challenging. I felt comfortable being myself throughout the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Why Sprout Social?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to manage a team to results.   1 Answer

Strategic Services Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Unprofessional phone interview - never got an email confirming a day/time and the interviewer just called stating we had a call scheduled that we never scheduled. Didn't ask questions about me or current/past experience as it related to the job, just asked about my previous employer and why I left.

Interview Questions

• "Out of Curiosity" why did you leave your last employer?   Answer Question

Bilingual Customer Advocate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Sprout Social (Chicago, IL) in May 2019.

Interview

This interview process took roughly around 6 weeks. It sounds long, but believe me when I say it’s a learning experience in itself about the company and its culture. They’re extremely thorough which shows they care about the people that join their team.

1. I applied through the Sprout Social website and got an email about a week after that I was being considered for the position. I was given an assessment to complete and submit within 2-3 days.
    2. I got through to the next round which was a phone screening with a recruiter, Haley. The call lasted around 30min and she was great! She asked me basic questions about my current role, how it can apply to Sprout, and the Customer Advocate position. I got an email later that day saying I was moving to the next round.
    3. The 3rd round was a phone screening with the hiring manager Jen (who I later found out is no longer with Sprout Social) and it lasted about 45min. She was also really nice and made the screening feel like a conversation with a friend. She was very clear about the role and what I would be doing day to day and asked lots of competency questions. I was really nervous and she noticed but tried to make me more comfortable which I appreciated. I really thought I wouldn’t be moving forward after this call because I was sooo nervous BUT about an hour later I got an email that I would be moving forward to the next round.
    4. This round was another assessment specifically for the Bilingual position. I answered 2 questions 200-400 words each in Spanish and had 2 days to submit. Once I submitted the assessment, it took about a week & a half to be contacted again about the next step. That’s only because the recruiter Haley was out of the office for the week, though— understandable. I got an email that I was invited for an on-site interview to meet with 4 employees with Sprout (2 managers, 1 lead and 1 current bilingual customer advocate).
    5. The interview was set a week out so I had plenty of time to prepare and the on-site interview confirmation email gave me a lot of details on how I should prepare. They told me this interview would last around 2hours. I met with Haley who showed me around the office and this is when I knew this place was the real deal. The office is spectacular to say the least! Shortly after this, I met with a manager and team lead who asked lots of competency questions. For example, “Tell me about a time when...” They really focused on getting to know me and my work, took turns asking questions, and made it more of a group conversation as opposed to an interrogation. After that, I met with another manager (who was on Skype since she’s based in their Seattle office) and the Bilingual Customer Advocate. Questions were similar to those of the other meeting. I had a one on one interview with the Bilingual Customer Advocate in Spanish to test my fluency. We talked about the job itself and the last question was a simple “tell me how to make your favorite food” question to ease the conversation. We then kind of bonded over how knowing Spanish has helped us in the workplace.

After my on-site interview, I was really excited about the opportunity to possibly work here and had my heart set on this company. I didn’t hear back via email or phone for a week & got worried so I reached out to Haley, my recruiter, for status. She set up a time to talk on the phone and unfortunately told me they would be moving forward with a different candidate. She gave me some critical feedback about their decision & ultimately said it was a tough choice but the other candidate had more direct experience. I was really bummed out after getting this far along but was grateful for the experience. I took a lot away from the interview, the feedback and hope to reapply in the future.

Interview Questions

• What excites you most about the potential for business leveraging social media?   Answer Question