Student Loan Hero Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews for Top Jobs at Student Loan Hero

Sort:

Staff Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero (Austin, TX) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was the longest I've ever experienced, taking close to two months. I first submitted pitches, then submitted a test article. Then, I had interviews with the content director, the senior editor, the COO, and the CEO.

Digital Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero in November 2017.

Interview

SLH makes you feel like they care about your time and effort, but in the end actions speak louder than words. They set up a call and then tell you they need to change it last minute, with the next available time slot being TWO WEEKS away. Really makes you lose momentum. Then they tell you you'll be speaking with person A and when you get on the call, it's someone completely different (no heads up or any information). Then they don't get back to you for days and only after I followed up personally with those I interviewed with, then I get an automated email from a no-reply account saying they are moving forward with another candidate. The people I had followed up with never even had the decency to respond to me. Lack of respect for sure.

Interview Questions

• Same old, same old. Focused on background (starting from education/college) and wanted to hear every step of your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero (Remote, OR) in August 2017.

Interview

I had to complete a skills test, followed by interviews. The first interview was a phone interview conducted by someone who started that week, so she couldn't fully answer my questions about the company. The second interview was a video interview. I thought I did well in both interviews. Also I researched the second person I was interviewing with. I found a typo on her personal website. She still hasn't fixed it, I think that's what bothers me the most.

I was indifferent about the process. I've been rejected from good jobs I knew I could excel at, and this one wasn't different. But I was asked to complete a survey about the interview process. One question asked if I had a more positive view of the company after the interview. Who would say yes to that??

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero (Remote, OR).

Interview

Unless you are very desperate, I'd steer clear. Multiple checkpoints with various people, then free work request (relatively reasonable), then scheduled then rescheduled interviews, then MORE free work request (NEVER AGAIN), then another interview that was rescheduled and then scheduled, and then COMPLETE RADIO SILENCE. Amateur operation. They dangle this carrot of great work environment, caring community, etc., but actions speak louder than words. I should have listened to the other interview review and not wasted my time with their unreasonable demands and lack of followthrough.

Interview Questions

• It was all the same jarble jarble.   1 Answer

Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero.

Interview

Company "robot" contacted me about 8 months after I applied and set up an interview for 2 weeks later. The hr person asked a variety of questions pertaining to my previous job, as it was very similar to the one I was applying for. I then had to take an assessment. This place is not very efficient, nor is it very good about having clear communication with applicants (they don't clearly communicate next steps or when you will expect next steps, etc.). The hr person said to keep in touch every few days to make sure I don't fall through the cracks, but when I did try to write in every few days, it seemed like that caused a problem because after a few check ins, I received an email saying I didn't get the job although everything seemed to be going well (I think they saw my checking in as impatience, as opposed to tenacity).

Advice to those applying:

1. this process appears to be a long one. If you have a financial need to get a job quickly, this may not be the right place.

2. if you're the type of person who needs (or expects) a clear and well-defined process (knowing what steps will happen within what time periods), this may not be right for you.

3. Although the company says they value transparency, dont be too open about weaknesses. Give the answers you're supposed to give instead of being an open book.

Interview Questions

• On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the team you worked with at your old job?   1 Answer

Student Loan Hero Response

Aug 24, 2017 – HR Specialist

Thank you very much for your feedback. You brought up several valid points. We are constantly working to improve our candidate experience and information like this helps us to identify pain points in... More

Content Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied to Student Loan Hero after receiving a LinkedIn push notification about the role. I had been following them as I have worked remotely in the past and was interested in doing so again. (My current company is very flexible, but not fully remote.) My current role is the same title, and I have consulted in fintech, so I thought it would be a great fit. It was! The first interview went well, albeit there were some initial technical issues. The woman that screened me was apparently unable to call me and after 15 mins of waiting I received a “sorry I missed you” email. I immediately responded and we were able to connect, where upon she told me that she had been having this issue all week. (If that was the case, why didn’t she suspect it?) The interview went well (while we talked, however, her children were right by her and loud), and I was scheduled for a follow-up with a more senior person. That interview went well, too, and a few short days later I was informed of an hour long, unpaid test project I needed to complete. I completed the project last night and then today received a heavily misspelled email saying that due to a recent operational change, the position I was in consideration for is no longer available. Maybe they could’ve had this epiphany before I took time out of my full-time job to complete their assignment? Seems like they’re flying at the seat of their pants. Very unprofessional. Feel like I dodged a bullet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Long and drawn out. I first applied in December, they contacted me in January, I submitted blog post ideas, then for the next round I submitted an unpaid new writing sample (dumb, I know), then there were two hour-long interviews in March, didn't hear I didn't get the job until April, when I had to email to ask (although I really knew by that point I didn't get the gig). I'll admit, I wasn't a great interview. My resume is great and I have a ton of experience. Overall: what a waste of time. But those benefits were quite a carrot to dangle in front of candidates.

Interview Questions

• What else I wanted to do for them other than my job requirements.   Answer Question

Content Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero.

Interview

This was by far the most drawn-out interview process I’ve ever experienced. Start to finish, it lasted more than 4 months. The initial interview was informal but seemed fine, although she seemed a bit rushed and disinterested. Apparently that was satisfactory, though, as I was given another interview with a more senior person. After acing that, I was given a video interview with a team, which seemed to go the best of the three stages. Oh, and I was also given a very lengthy, unpaid test assignment.

There was a lot of back-and-forth and, after inquiring about my application status, no answers could be given. Finally, I was told that my position was no longer available and had been filled — which would have been alright, except that it was still listed as open on their site/Glassdoor and remained that way for months.

I have heard stories of companies seeking new perspectives, who hold “interviews” with unpaid assignments to get fresh (and free) ideas. I’m not saying that’s what this company does, but based on the reviews here and what I’ve heard through the grapevine, it does make me wonder if anyone actually gets hired here... ever.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled a conflict with a colleague in the past?   Answer Question

Content Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero in May 2018.

Interview

I applied for this job months ago, but received an email from a bot about a week ago. The first step in the process is having a phone interview with a recruiter; that’s where my experience with this company begins and ends.

During my interview, I spoke with a recruiter who was just going through the motions with me. She did not ask me any follow-up questions and did not seem interested in learning more about me. A lot of “yeah, okay” replies after I provided thoughtful answers to her questions. She seemed very cold and uncaring, like she hates her job.

In an interview setting, isn’t it important for an interviewer to ask meaningful questions to a qualified candidate? I genuinely feel that I did not have the opportunity to convey my experience and personality. Of course, I received a rejection email a couple days later.

The other reviewers are right, this was a complete waste of my time.

Interview Questions

Student Loan Hero Response

May 23, 2018 – HR Specialist

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to apply and to interview with Student Loan Hero. We are very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with the phone screen call you had with us... More

Content Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Student Loan Hero.

Interview

One phone interview, which seemed to go very well. Then, I was tasked with writing a blog post. They sent me software that would record my screen--and everything I did to research and write the piece. Talk about nervewracking!

Interview Questions

• They asked me about every role I've had, and why I left it.   Answer Question
    • They asked me to rate my current team, individually.   Answer Question