Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre Interview Questions

Updated Nov 8, 2017

2.7

Clinical Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and found the whole process to be extremely frustrating. I received an email from the department secretary on a Monday, 3 weeks after my initial application, where I was invited to an interview that Wednesday. I met with the primary investigator and 2 of his research assistants, and thought that the interview went very well. I was taken on a tour of the office following my interview. I sent a thank you email following my interview and did not hear anything back.
    I was told in the interview that I could expect a 2 week period before I would be contacted. 2 weeks passed, so I sent a follow up email to the primary investigator and did not hear anything back. The following week, I sent an additional email to the PI and once again did not hear anything back. After anxiously waiting to hear back, I sent an email to the secretary that set up my interview and I was informed that the role had been filled and that the primary investigator was out of the country.

I was told in my interview that 4 people were being considered for the role, so I find it rude and unprofessional that I could not have been informed of their decision. I took an afternoon off of work, spent many hours preparing, and spent 20$ in parking for them to not even have the common curtsey to follow up.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions regrading my past experiences   Answer Question

Clinical Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in September 2017.

Interview

I received a call from the research coordinator one week after I applied to schedule an interview. It was a skype interview with the research coordinator and the principal interview. The were 10 very basic questions, your experience, strengths, and weaknesses, long term goals, why do you want to work here, why should we hire you, type questions. It was very friendly and we laughed a lot.

Interview Questions

• In one word, how would your previous employers describe you?
      Describe a time you were given constructive criticism and how did you handle it?
      Imagine you had a task to complete during the day and you couldn’t get to it after the work day what do you do?   Answer Question

Events Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I had 3 separate interviews over the course of a month. First with the director and my potential colleagues, the next was with two managers from other departments and the third one with the new manager. Each interview was very similar and I was asked the same interview style questions. Everyone was kind and friendly and it was a great experience overall.

Then on the day before I was supposed to be given an offer I was informed that the position was going to be changed to an 18 month contract (very last minute after over a month of interviewing). I agreed to proceed with the application with the understanding that my salary expectations had increased due to the fact I would no longer be receiving benefits and would not be included in HOOP.

I received the email from HR of a conditional offer at 4:45pm on a Friday and the offer was lower than my current salary, which initially was a little insulting. I realized that HR could have avoided this mistake if I had been asked what my current salary was in one of the 3 interviews, which I never was. I was asked my salary expectations and was never told that they weren't close to the range for the position, which I understand why it was done, but in the future this could have saved both parties a great deal of time. Knowing my salary expectations are no where near their range I wouldn't have agreed to the second interview.

I took my time over the course of the weekend to figure out my counter offer and I drafted a kind email explaining why I deserved what I thought was a much more reasonable compensation for my experience and what they were looking for in the role. They came back at 4:30 pm on Monday and had only raised their initial offer by $1,500 per year. I guess that the HR rep didn't realize that this was still less than I currently make and as a result I had to turn down the offer.

I will say that the entire interview experience was lovely. The people were kind and on time and really seemed warm and inviting. But the moment HR was involved the process became cold and unappealing. I think ensuring that the proper questions are asked and there is full disclosure about the salary expectations of the position in the initial interview will help all parties involved could save everyone some time. I thank everyone involved for the excellent experience but it was still in some way disappointing because I was looking forward to working for such an amazing organization.

Interview Questions

• What are three things you could work on   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Invited to an interview with the director. 35 minutes into the interview, the director said we were out of time and left little time for me to ask questions. I was surprised as I wasn't told that this was a preliminary conversation. I was rushed out of the room as the next candidate was outside waiting. I followed up with a thank-you email which I did not get a response to. A month later, I received a call from the director to see if I was interested in a brand new position. I expressed my interest and was contacted by HR who asked what the lowest I would go in terms of salary. I reminded HR of my salary expectation and asked what their best offer was. I was told they would get back to me. In the mean time, they did their reference and background checks. 2 weeks went by and no word from HR. After following up, HR apologized and said they would get back to me. After another 1.5 weeks, I followed up and was told that they were trying to work out something to meet my salary expectations. Another 2 weeks later, still no word from them and when I followed up they advised they had no updates. I gave up on following up with them and never heard back. Instead of leaving me hanging, I wish they would tell me that they weren't able to work things out.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

When I got to my interview, I was told to go straight to the lab first, where I met with the other lab members "while I waited." Afterwards, I was brought to interview with the lead scientists who run the lab. I later found out that the initial visit to the lab itself was a secret interview, and if the lab members like you, they would give a thumbs up (or down if they didn't) behind your back when they dropped you off with the scientists, and that heavily effected your outcome.

Interview Questions

• Do you have SPSS experience? What is a Pivot Table, etc.   Answer Question

Clinical Chemistry Medical Laboratory Technologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

face to face interview. asking common behavioural questions and some technical questions. study your csmls notes and you will be fine. difficulty of the technical question ranges from easy/common to medium difficulty hard.
    Clinical chemistry job so far does not have practical exam for the interview.

Clinical chemistry job so far does not have practical exam for the interview.

Interview Questions

• common behavoiural questions and some technical questions   1 Answer

Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.

Interview

Thorough interview, asked a lot of questions especially regarding previous experiences and skills mentioned on CV. Provided a quick summary of their research team, projects and goals. Strongly emphasized team-effort and need for inter-disciplinary cooperation.

Took a very long time to conduct interviews (applications from 4-5 months prior), and did not provide an update of application status after interview.

Interview Questions

• Would you be able to handle conducting interviews/assessments with patients to determine eligibility for research studies.   1 Answer

Database Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2016.

Interview

Two months after I had applied for the position, I was contacted for an interview. I was surprised because I thought I was out of the running. I did an online questionnaire about my skills. From there I landed an interview. I thought I did very well, well for someone who had been travelling for a year to remember technical answers for SQL and Access. It was all really positive.

Why I had a negative overall experience is 4 weeks after the interview, I had emailed the person coordinating the role if the position had been filled, no response. I then had to go further and ask the person who interviewed me if it had been filled and if so, can I be provided with some feedback, this was two weeks after I had emailed the person. The response was, yea they had filled the role and he has already started, how is the job search.

I have found the whole process very unprofessional especially for a large organisation. I have never experienced anything like this - although I am comparing it to Australia. You will get a response as soon as the candidate as been chosen for the role, at the interview stage. If that's the sort of process you have to go through for getting a role, I wouldn't want to work for such organisation.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • What are your goals over the next 5 years.   1 Answer
    • Why are you interested in the position?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about Sunnybrook and the role?   1 Answer
    • Have you worked with health data before?   1 Answer

Laboratory Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Mississauga, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Takes 1 week from submitting documents to getting an interview. Being late because I cannot find the building. Only the Doctor who is in charge of this program interviewed me. I was only asked about technical questions.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Was asked to go in for 2 separate interviews; one with coordinator team and another with coordinators and lead researcher. First interview went fairly well; good rapport. On second interview, lead researcher asked some follow-up questions. Researcher stated they could not discuss salary range; a bit disappointing in this regard.

Interview Questions

• Scenario-type question; a clinical question (criteria for specific diagnosis); salary expectations.   Answer Question