Takeaway.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Takeaway.com

2.3

Business Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Berlin (Germany)).

Interview

I sustained the all selection process. The people were polite but extremely disorganised. They sent me an Amazon Review case study but didn't give me access to the folder, before that, the hiring manager sent me by mistake two mails because he was not in touch with HR. At the presentation of the case study they didn't ask questions about data cleansing and asked about "business insights" and didn't make an offer because I was "too technical". I seriously doubt that they had solid competencies regarding data analysis (the title was Business related but the case required coding), I had the impression they wanted a high level analysis even if not backed by data. The case study was totally not pertinent to the position. Lot of confusion.

Interview Questions

• What are your Business conclusions about the Case Study   Answer Question

Sep 29, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to write this feedback. We will look into this and make sure the process is aligned with the job requirements. Thanks again for your time and good luck with your job search

Digital Marketing Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Interview

I have received and email by senior recruiter that they would like to proceed with my application and that I should book a free time slot in recruiter’s calendar. My proposal was twice canceled and when she proposed new time I made changes in my calendar to make it work. At the time when interview was supposed to happen, she wasn’t calling. I sent a kind reminder after 15 minutes but I never got any replies. This is was a very disappointing experience.

Sep 29, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

We appreciate your feedback and we are sorry that you had to go through this experience. This is definitely not the way we want our candidates to feel, as we truly value our candidate's time and efforts and we want them to have a positive experience. We will look into your case. Thanks again for sharing this.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Berlin (Germany)) in September 2020.

Interview

It started with an HR call where I clearly communicated my salary expectations.
    Then I got an assignment and I invested a lot in it and made sure all bonus points were covered.
    After reviewing the assignment, which they liked, I was invited for technical interview which took forever for HR to schedule. They don't even use a calendar application to schedule meetings nor share calendar invites, it is all shared in written format in emails.

In technical interview, there were two interviewers who didn't even wait a minute to start asking technical questions. It felt more of an interrogation, where after replying to one guy, the other guy immediately would ask another question. This interrogation went on for one hour with no breather in between, there were some questions I could have answered better but by that time I was so exhausted that I stopped trying. No one tried to make the conversation nice, rather it being a discussion it became more of a non stop questionnaire. They were literally googling questions online and asking any random thing. No structure no flow.

After this the HR came up with an offer which was 10K less than my expected salary. When I asked for the reason I got an reply that before the technical interview they planned(in their own minds, without communicating to me) to hire me as Lead developer and after technical interview they decided they could only hire me as senior software engineer(the post I actually applied for) and not lead developer and hence low salary. God knows what does that even mean? Why would you not tell the candidate upfront that they cannot give me my expected salary for the applied position. I would have maybe felt better if they would have outrightly rejected me.

In the end it was a waste of time and effort and especially in current times when you are already stressed enough, this was unnecessary and could have been avoided, if the HR was transparent enough.

Interview Questions

• Internal Working of garbage collection in java.
      How Spring framework works internally.
      Convince the lead why they should move to kubernetes.
      Java 8 questions, default methods. REST model.   Answer Question

Oct 15, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Hello and thanks for sharing your feedback with us. We are sorry to hear that this was your experience! Here at Takeaway it is highly important for us to fit the candidate to the best possible role, both in terms of salary expectations and experience. However, we do agree that this should be done in a transparent way and we will check into your case to understand better what happened. If you'd like to further discuss this, Daniel, our Head of Tech Recruitment in Berlin, would love to speak to you. Please send him an email to Daniel.szabo@takeaway.com. Thanks again for sharing your feedback and we wish you all the best for the future.

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in September 2020.

Interview

I applied via Linkedin and got a phone call from a technical recruiter about 2 weeks afterwards.
    The conversation was pleasant and informative on both sides regarding the company, job description and my qualifications and overall it seemed like I met the recruiter expectations.
    Right after my reply to the recruiter question regarding my wage expectation, the recruiter remained silent for about 2-3 seconds and then sort of switched her attitude and said: "well, I really enjoyed talking to you and getting to know and just keep in mind that even if you won't be found suitable for this position I will keep your resume for future optional positions".

The night after I received an email at 1:45 AM from and automatic mailing system saying that "your application does not entirely meet our needs for this vacancy".
    Few hours later I've sent an email to the recruiter saying that I would highly appreciate a bit more detailed response which can help me improve for my future challenges.

I did not receive any reply.

I come with a strong background in the Quality Assurance field with 3 times more years of experience than required but I decided to take the shot and see how it goes.
    It is clearly that I've got the generic rejection email due to my (apparently) too high wage expectation which is accepted but it will be more professional from the recruiter to mention it, specially if I sent a follow up email.
    Ignoring is not an answer.

Interview Questions

• Experience, Technological knowledge, why did I leave former positions.   Answer Question

Sep 15, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to write this review, we are sorry that you felt this way. After checking the case, the recruiter did get back to you but it took her a few days, and by then this review was already posted. We will check into our processes and make sure in the future to get back to rejected candidates faster. We do value your efforts and time and we appreciate your feedback.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)) in September 2020.

Interview

I must note that the whole process was clear and smooth. HR and Product team members in Tel Aviv are very nice persons. The process has included 3 steps: interview with the product team lead, home assignment, and product managers from the squad. All interviews were remote.

Interview Questions

Takeaway.com Response

Sep 24, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback and we wish you all the best with your job search

Operations Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Takeaway.com.

Interview

The process was quick which was a definite plus. I thought it was strange that the first interview (after the recruiter screening) was with peers.

Quite quickly, you realize that the team is a very junior one with the typical pros and cons of inexperience.

Interview Questions

Takeaway.com Response

Sep 29, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to write this feedback. If the team was inexperienced, this means that there is room for some great people that we could learn from. This is how we grow. Thanks again and good luck!

Partner Marketing Campaign Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Takeaway.com.

Interview

It took me 1,5 months to be invited to the phone interview after applying online. The call was quick and not very structured, I was asked to tell about my previous experience.

Interview Questions

Takeaway.com Response

Sep 29, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Thank you for leaving this review and all the best in finding your next challenge

Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Enschede (Netherlands)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Enschede (Netherlands)) in August 2020.

Interview

I was approached by a recruiter and they facilitated a rather fast process, which I was thankful for. I had three interviews: 1:1 w/ recruiter; 1:1 w/ Product lead; case study and then presentation. All went down good, and added by, the expectations shared on the amount of positions to fill as well as the question of what I wanted next at the end of the final interview. With all this, I was expecting an offer.

Surprisingly a few days later I got a call saying they were dropping the process. The justification was, IMO, a generic excuse, since it didn't match how the whole process went. As usual they encouraged me to keep applying to which I asked for more details on why I didn't get it, otherwise the future outcome would be the same since I didn't know what led them to drop me and therefore what I could do to change it. An ASAP response was promised but haven't got one to this day.

Advice to recruiters:
    I'd much rather you had been straight with me and told exactly why you didn't want to hire me, rather than making up excuses, those don't really help anyone, and I also found it disrespectful given the amount of time I invested in the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe your current product development process   1 Answer
    • Case study focused on the are you're applying for   Answer Question

Sep 22, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Hi, we appreciate your feedback about the process and are sorry to hear that you felt disrespected. Christian, our Team Lead for Tech Recruitment in Enschede, would like to further discuss this with you in order to understand what happened. Would you kindly send him an email? Christian.portig@takeaway.com. Thanks again for letting us know about this.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Berlin (Germany)) in August 2020.

Interview

If you’re an experienced software engineer who values his/her time and effort, think twice before applying here.
    At the very last stage of the interviewing process, you have one hour to speak with tons of people with different level of experiences at once. In this collaborative hiring style, you can feel that many of them are under pressure to come up with any general question to ask you, and you feel that they’re kind of satisfied with your answer only if you’re totally agreeable. There’s no room for differences and free thinking.
    Although the recruitment process was extremely slow, I made it to the last stage, it started with HR screening, coding assignment, then 2 hours of technical interviews.
    All went well, according to the interviewers, the solution I’ve provided for the coding challenge was excellent. They liked my technical skills and nominated me for a quite high level position.
    However, in the following general chat and get-to-know the team, the feedback was that some people don’t feel like I had provided satisfactory answers to their very general questions, or they don’t feel like working with me.
    No concrete feedback was provided, my whole effort went down the drain.
    Untrained people are included in the process, they sounded lost, opinionated, and pressured.
    If you’re gonna reject highly qualified candidates for whatever reason and waist their time, why don’t you set your process in a different order? By having the general discussions to taking a place first, and if you don’t feel like working with the candidate, then that’s it! No technical discussion, no coding. You save his/her time and effort.
    The conclusion is: your technical skills and even your proven record of excellent interpersonal and communication skills won’t help you here. All you need is luck.

Interview Questions

Takeaway.com Response

Sep 21, 2020 – Employer Branding Specialist

Hi, We are sorry to hear that you had a bad experience interviewing at Takeaway.com. We truly value your time and we want to thank you for applying and for giving us feedback

Learning Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Takeaway.com (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in August 2020.

Interview

I've applied to 3 different positions. I had the chance to have an interview for the first time I applied but didn't succeed - fair enough. Applied a second time for a different position. Didn't get to talk to anyone but received and email stating that I had already received feedback previously and that I out of the race - this was different position than the first time. Finally, applied for Learning Manager. Received an invitation for an interview to then realise that I was being interviewed for the wrong role. That same day I received an email apologising for the mistake but that now I was too late to apply for the original role I applied to...