Tempo Automation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tempo Automation Interview Questions

Interviews at Tempo Automation

2.3

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Tempo Automation in February 2017.

Interview

Submitted job application online. Got email from recruiter 3 days after asking for a 30 minutes online interview. Scheduled it in next day. However the phone call didn't come it the whole day. It came the second day! Then I was asked some basic questions about my experience and the fit to applied job. At last I was asked about my current compensation, which was not a comfortable question. I didn't give him any number and said it's too early to talk about numbers. Then finished the phone call. No follow up after that. It will be better if anyone give me a reason for that.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your past experiences and why you think you can fit this job   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tempo Automation.

Interview

1) applied via StackOverflow, 2) 30 minute screen, 3) take-home-coding exam.

I submitted a take-home coding exam to Tempo with what I thought was pretty good code. I completed all requirements and also included tests. The feedback I got was surprising -- they mostly cited formatting and PEP8 stuff with regards to my solution. Feedback:

" whitespace on empty lines
        lines over 79 characters
        imports at a function level
        unused imports
        unused branches and statements
        misleading whitespace for keyword arguments to functions
        some tests that don't do anything
        some leftover debugging code"

All of these things can basically be told to me by using a Python linting tool (with the exception of "unused branches/statements" and "tests that don't do anything," which I explicitly told them why they are there in the comments).

Really pretty trivial stuff compared to the logic and overall approach to solving the problem. Importantly, this is a take-home coding exam, so I'm going to limit the time I'm willing to spend on it, so I focused on writing functional code, not necessarily production code. If they wanted production code, they should have asked for that.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tempo Automation.

Interview

To sum up the process, it was unorganized and there was no respect for the applicants time. Interviews kept being rescheduled at the last minute (sometimes at the time the interview was to take place). Just from the interview process I would be concerned about taking a job here.

Interview Questions

Tempo Automation Response

Apr 10, 2017

Sorry that you had a bad interviewing experience with us. What you described definitely doesn't match our expectations for how interviews should be conducted. Feedback was provided to the... More

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tempo Automation in January 2019.

Interview

I had a phone screen first. Spoke with a very nice and responsive hiring manager. Was given a home task to write a console parsing tool. Got a response that they are not gonna proceed with me further on with no explanation at all.

This situation leaves you with the impression that they did not really look into your effort (code), because:
    1. the code was fully provided (nice and clean);
    2. there were a lot of comments on what and why in the code;
    3. the code was verified 100% working;
    4. unit tests were provided;
    5. README file was provided with the explanation of how to run the code;

The question is then: Why give a home task if your reviewer does not have enough time to look into it? Or the reviewer is very inexperienced person who does not know how to assess the code?

Sales Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tempo Automation.

Interview

Two rounds of phone interviews and one in person interview. The in person interview was informative yet highly unorganized. The final interview took 5 hours in total could have been much shorter if the interview process was better organized and run by one hiring manager.

After the interview I was told that I should hear back at the beginning of the next week regarding my application. The next week I received an email that I would have to wait two weeks for the answer. I waited two weeks, sent a follow up email on a Friday and did not received a response till the proceeding Monday. Making applicants wait more then two weeks after a final round interview to hear back is not only cruel but a poor hiring practice.

I think it is awesome what Tempo trying to accomplish but they are too disorganized and immature to hire the type of candidates they seem to want.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

They are unsure of what they are looking for in a recruiter. Don't waste your time. The company has very hostile or no culture at all. They ask to interview with you just to waste your time, disappear and ignore thereafter. Completely ignoring any follow up emails after that

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Tempo Automation (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview. Was offered an in person interview via email. I was unable to make the first date they offered due to a funeral. I immediately offered him 3 different alternative dates. They didn't contact me for a week or two, then offered another time that I made available for them.

I left work early and took a cab across town to the interview. The interviewer forgot that he had scheduled my interview, wasn't wearing shoes, didn't make eye contact with me, and barely spoke to me. The interview was short and he ended it to interview the other person he accidentally scheduled at the same time. There was not enough time for me to go back to work and it was a waste of my time.

The next week I got a rejection e-mail with no acknowledgement of forgetting about me or an apology for the inconvenience they caused me. I'm not sure if he even knew who I was. :(

Interview Questions

• He asked about another position that I had not applied for and was no longer listed online so I couldn't research it.   1 Answer

Project Coordinator Interview

Interview

The interview is broken into 3 steps- an email test, a phone interview and a face to face interview. The email test is a basic scenario test on how you would react to angry customers. The phone interview is incredibly short and is mostly them describing the company and the daily operations.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why do you want to work here? Q: What do you know about the company?   Answer Question

Manufacturing Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tempo Automation in November 2015.

Interview

The process was smooth and friendly. 3 rounds in a single day - Previous hires, potential colleagues, the main boss who asks you to give a demonstration of your ability.

Interview Questions

• Q: They asked me why I wanted to join as a technician, whereas I had a marketing background?   1 Answer

Robotics Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tempo Automation (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Contacted them after an Angel List match. After a brief 15 min video Google Hangout with one of their co-founders they decided to call me onsite. The on-site lasted about 3.5 hours where I got a demo of the product (robotic pick and place platform) and met with several members of the team.
    Questions were pretty generic and focused more on my projects. They asked me a few management and web tech questions which I found rather weird considering the nature of the role I was applying for.

There was no white-board coding and they explicitly said they weren't interested in conducting an interview in that fashion - which I felt was kind of refreshing considering the trend in the industry. They instead said they would look into my projects and my github to get an idea of my coding skills.

Overall, I felt it was a positive experience and had some good brain storming sessions with their engineers based on the problems they were encountering with the version 1 of their product.

They were very prompt in getting back to me on the day they said they would. Again, this was really refreshing considering the industry trend of dragging out candidate feedback. I really liked the company and the product but unfortunately I did not get an offer from them.

Interview Questions

• If a team member is not up to speed what would you do to make sure they perform ?   1 Answer
    • How would you store a web session for a chess game?   2 Answers