The Carlyle Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 28, 2017

3.2

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swedesboro, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Swedesboro, NJ).

Interview

Interview was an initial phone screen (very easy, more so to get to one another as well as explore you interest in joining the company) In person (met with HR, Manager, Team Members, and President)

Interview Questions

• (Basic Questionnaire with HR to evaluate basic problem solving as well as situational based questions i.e. strengths and weaknesses)

Manager: Background and how you feel it translates to this role?

Comfortable with cold calling customers from small business to C- Suite Executives?

President: All cultural fit questions: Must be a team player.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. Took a modeling test. Interviewed via skype with two VPs. Flew in for a super day with 10 one-on-one interviews with a range of individuals from associates to MDs.

Anonymous Interview

Interview

I am 62 and felt I was discriminated against for age. That is all I will say. Unfortunately, this is the rule rather than the exception these days. Advice: make sure you do not need a job after 60 and don't get old-- ha ha.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I received an interview through a recruiter, I was qualified for the role and I'm assuming that's why I was granted an interview. However, once I met with the HR lady she seemed cold and unfriendly. She spoke a million words per minute and the interview lasted maybe 10 minutes. The Carlyle Group is a very large and respected firm I'm shocked they don't have more seasoned HR representatives. She was young and inexperienced for an HR rep

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I must say, interviewing at Carlyle was the worst interview experience of my life. The woman who met with me was very cold, curt in her responses, cut me off when I was trying to elaborate on questions she asked me, and spoke to me for all of 12 minutes. She acted as though she didn't have the time to speak to me, even though she picked my resume for an interview. I sent my thank you email and didn't hear from her again. I do know that she was (or seemed) very junior, so perhaps she is just inexperienced with interviewing. In any case, I decided that if her demeanor was any indication as to the culture at Carlyle that is an organization I do not want to be a part of. I feel sorry for those less experienced that have to interview with her, because that is not how an interview should be conducted. Totally unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• What were you making in your last role? And in each before that?   3 Answers

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Started with a phone interview with HR and then was asked to come into the office for in-person interviews. Phone interview was easy, just background checking. In person interview included five 1-on-1 interviews with individuals up and down the corporate ladder. Most of the questions were about me but some industry related "test" questions. Nothing too difficult. Then gave me time to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain what responsibilities you had in x, y, or z role with a, b, or c company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied through a recruiter, went in for 2 interviews, 1st with HR where she asked about my resume and previous experiences and salaries,and second w office administrator who was more focused on personality. Both lasted around 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What your former bosses would say your biggest asset is?
      What is your weakness?
      How can you contribute to our company?   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process takes forever. I received a phone call the day after I applied to set up a time for a more in depth first "interview". The first round came a week later. The second round interview came about 2 weeks later. The final in person interview was re-scheduled and pushed back several times after not hearing anything for weeks on end.

Interview 1 to receiving an offer took 4 months.

Interview Questions

• The basics...background...why Carlyle...why PE...what your interests are...type of work you've been involved in   Answer Question

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

First, there was a phone interview with the headhunter to go over previous experience and why I was qualified for this job. They then sent resumes to the employer and whoever the employer chose had to take a quick LBO test. If you pass the LBO test, you're given a case study and asked to highlight the merits and risks of the deals of the deal and where you would invest in the capital structure. Thereafter, you interview with the entire team (VP and above) and present your case study to one of the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a previous deal and highlight merits and risks   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group.

Interview

Pretty easy, external recruiter talks with you over phone, then you talk with HR and an IT manager. In person interview was a breeze, present yourself nicely and be personable, they will eat it up. The technical questions were not difficult at all.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Went through recruiter. They suggest you accept the initial offer, since they will get paid once you accept.