The Carlyle Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at The Carlyle Group

3.2

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Washington, DC) in August 2017.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. Took a modeling test. Interviewed via skype with two VPs. Flew in for a super day with 10 one-on-one interviews with a range of individuals from associates to MDs.

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group.

Interview

Multi-round on site interview process with typically 4 1-on-1 interview. One interview will always be with an HR representative, and the remaining interviews will be with direct supervisors. The interview may involve interviews for multiple positions, and it is firm policy to interview each candidate for all open positions.

Interview Questions

• Why did you leave your prior company in less than a year   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was not negotiable

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process takes forever. I received a phone call the day after I applied to set up a time for a more in depth first "interview". The first round came a week later. The second round interview came about 2 weeks later. The final in person interview was re-scheduled and pushed back several times after not hearing anything for weeks on end.

Interview 1 to receiving an offer took 4 months.

Interview Questions

• The basics...background...why Carlyle...why PE...what your interests are...type of work you've been involved in   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group.

Interview

Received a email response after applying through a school job site. Emails led to phone interview which led to in person interview. The in person interviews were with multiple people from various departments

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Washington, DC) in January 2010.

Interview

Phone screen, and a series of in person meetings with various team members to walk through my background and quiz me on my skills. Overall you will find everyone is smart and sharp. Come prepared with at least 5 prepared questions.

Interview Questions

• Know how to model and talk about waterfalls (not the type TLC sings about)   Answer Question

Negotiation

Got them to move on start date, that's about it though.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

I met with HR for my initial interview. Immediately following that interview, I met with multiple team members over a few week period. I interviewed for multiple positions. The initial interview with HR was the most in depth interview. The following interviews were to make sure I was a good culture fit and if I would get along with the team.

Interview Questions

• Many questions regarding the company's structure and history. This might sound obvious, but knowing your own experience is paramount. General PE knowledge is also important.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Washington, DC).

Interview

Started with a phone interview with HR and then was asked to come into the office for in-person interviews. Phone interview was easy, just background checking. In person interview included five 1-on-1 interviews with individuals up and down the corporate ladder. Most of the questions were about me but some industry related "test" questions. Nothing too difficult. Then gave me time to ask them questions.

Interview Questions

• Explain what responsibilities you had in x, y, or z role with a, b, or c company.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Swedesboro, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Swedesboro, NJ).

Interview

Interview was an initial phone screen (very easy, more so to get to one another as well as explore you interest in joining the company) In person (met with HR, Manager, Team Members, and President)

Interview Questions

• (Basic Questionnaire with HR to evaluate basic problem solving as well as situational based questions i.e. strengths and weaknesses)

Manager: Background and how you feel it translates to this role?

Comfortable with cold calling customers from small business to C- Suite Executives?

President: All cultural fit questions: Must be a team player.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (New York, NY) in April 2013.

Interview

Participated in a phone interview that went well, and a few days later was emailed about coming in for an in-person interview. I was told to allot 2 to 2-1/2 hours for the interview. I showed up (on-time) and met briefly with the HR person. Then met with another person for about 20 minutes. Then waited another 25 minutes for the 3rd person to interview me. Was told that I would hear back from them. Sent 3 personal, handwritten thank you notes to each person the next day. Never heard a peep back from anyone.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle pressure? What's unique about you? What 3 things do you want us to remember you for?   Answer Question

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Carlyle Group (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

Applied through recruiter, multiple interviews were conducted, with final interview done via webcam since the fund was based out of Europe.

Mostly, the interview process was professional and they seemed like a company with a lot of potential and a lot to offer. There were some major red flags with the interview though, so ultimately I chose to decline employment.

Interview Questions

• Are you going to have any kids? It was ridiculously inappropriate (not to mention illegal).

They kept asking me if I was OK with not being promoted. I am not sure what they were trying to communicate with that question, but it was odd. I wasn't looking for immediate promotion but I did want upward mobility opportunities at some point. I don't know why they would want to hire someone with no desire to move up the career ladder.   1 Answer