The Paper Store Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at The Paper Store

1.9

Part Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Millbury, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at The Paper Store (Millbury, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

My first attempt didn't pan out because the store was closed due to renovation. Then it took me 2 or three tries before the manager was available. I also applied on line and never got a response. I sat down in person with the current manager and she went over my resume'. I was asked a few questions and was then given a brief overview of job description. She told me what the pay was and then gave me a time to come back with proper ID to fill out forms.

Interview Questions

• why I wanted to apply at The Paper Store   1 Answer

Negotiation

what I asked for and what I was offered for pay were two totally different figures. Even though I had lots of retail experience, was over qualified, there was no negotiating. But I needed a job so I accepted.

Social Media Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acton, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Paper Store (Acton, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I went in for two interviews, and was asked for 5 references prior to my second interview. All of my references had to undergo a very detailed online questionnaire. I really enjoyed meeting the entire team at the paper store and felt it would be a good fit given my background, and also felt that the interview process went well. My first interview was with the marketing director, and the second interview was with several members of the team, all at once, which was overwhelming at times. They asked me to go through my ideas, how I would change social media, etc. I left feeling very confident. Weeks later I only found out I didnt get the position through logging into the online system. From there I had to follow up with the marketing director myself, who informed me another candidate was chosen. They then posted the job back online two days later. I noticed they interviewed earlier in the year for the same position and never made a hire. I sometimes believe that companies interview professionals in this field just to "pick their brains" for fresh marketing ideas without having to pay a salary...

Interview Questions

• Can you go through the process of how you create an ad on facebook?   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at The Paper Store (Acton, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

Secured through a recruiter who did initial phone screening. First interview with two Divisional Merch Managers (at same time), scheduled second interview which was canceled.

Disappointing experience overall. I was interviewing for a buying position which probably should be posted as an Associate Buyer, position also involved some planning and allocation. They were honest (as far as I could tell) about the position responsibilities, but I believe they may have been planning to replace a current employee and at times the discussion was awkward, it felt as though they were not being entirely honest. I was booked for a second interview which was canceled at 6pm the night prior with the commentary that they had extended an offer to someone else. This felt untrue, or at the very least disorganized. Also leads me to believe they do not have HR best practices in place for interviewing, which can be revealing about how the organization may be run in total. I mentioned I had a young infant during the interview, so I am left to wonder if I was discriminated against for that reason.

This practice extended to a colleague of mine who was also canceled from a second interview the night before. I would advise that they refrain from booking second interviews or provide more ample notice, as often job candidates have made arrangements to attend interviews and the experience is poor.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Acton, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at The Paper Store (Acton, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

This was a very to the point interview...It went well but the owner asked me how I was on computers and I said very good knowing the Office Suite...She wanted me to be fluent in their Buying operating software which wasn't happening as it was very specific. She had me sit with an employee for 10 mins and decided my computer skills were not up to their standard.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how much experience have you had in buying volume?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Acton, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Paper Store (Acton, MA) in October 2018.

Interview

Interview process was easy and comfortable. Wanted to know about my experience and how past jobs and internships would help me in this position. They didn't ask any unreasonable questions or anything to purposely trip you up.

Manager On Duty Interview

Anonymous Employee in Millbury, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at The Paper Store (Millbury, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

The interview was very casual. The person who interviewed me was the store manager at the time and she was very positive and just wanted to get to know me as a person and what I would bring to the store.

Interview Questions

• How would you connect with all of the different age ranges that shopped at TPS?   Answer Question

Key Holder Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at The Paper Store.

Interview

I was interviewing for a new store, the same day I submitted an application I was asked to interview. It was very informal and didn't feel overwhelming. I spoke with a district manager and the store manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't even bother negotiating, they offered me a position a step higher than what I applied for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockaway, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at The Paper Store (Rockaway, NJ) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with HR. Met with DM one week later at a store location. It was a very strange interview, to say the least. Was not asked any questions of importance. I did inquire about the poor rating the company has on Glassdoor. They never responded to one of my follow up emails. Rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Did the HR person tell you about the company.   1 Answer
    • You are here early.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at The Paper Store.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter about a position I applied for. They called me several times before the interview to go over what questions may be asked. Post interview I did not hear from anyone.

Anonymous Employee in Reading, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at The Paper Store (Reading, MA) in November 2012.

Interview

First screening was over the phone then first interview in person at the Reading Ma location with the same district manager who was transitioning and later became the HR manager. Mostly friendly conversation. The next day had a second interview with the woman who was to be my District Manager. She was extremely upbeat about the company and the opportunities, much more knowledgeable and professional.

Interview Questions

• for the first interview there was a lot more personal discussion than I was used to. More of a "get to know you" interview. Second interview included all the basics. What would you do if...? What do you consider your strongest and weakest attributes? What will you bring to your postion/the company etc.   Answer Question