TiVo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

3.1

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo in February 2017.

Interview

Two phone screenings, one with HR, another with the hiring manager. The second dove into technical depth with my resume. Everyone involved was friendly and responded in a reasonable amount of time.

Interview Questions

• They went down my resume and asked questions about each point.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for TiVo

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had about 5 interviews from the team manager to the system architect. Every interviewer was concept oriented with some basic C/C++ questions and more intuitive questions on projects. Was also asked a couple of design questions based on abstract classes and virtual functions.

Interview Questions

• Concept of smart pointers and how would you implement it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I had a phone screen with the hiring manager where he asked some basic C/C++ and computer architecture questions. Then came onsite and had interviews with the whole team. I was interviewing for a lower level team so a lot of the questions were around Linux and drivers. Nothing too crazy if you've worked on that before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Asked questions about java such as: How garbage collection works, OOP questions, and diferences between Java and other languages such as C/C++

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TiVo (San Jose, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

I had a one on one interview with a Tivo software engineer who tested me on some simple algorithm questions. For instance, the employee asked me of a good way to determine how many times a character exists in a file. I used a two for statements and a hashtable. In many interviews like this, hashtables are the way to go. This interview went well and I got a second interview.

The second interview didnt go very well. It was very technical and they tested me on Java application development. I don't have a lot of experience in Java APPLICATION dev. Its probably a good thing that it didn't go any further because I don't have the required skills. But it was good to practice interviewing and all of the staff were very nice.

Interview Questions

• How would you find how many times a character was present in a file?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Process went from online application to contact with in-house recruiter, to brief phone screen, to on-site interview with several people in the group that I would be working with. I also talked to the prospective boss and his boss. Some of the skills questions I was fully prepared for, but the one listed below was a bit tricky -- but had relevance.

Interview Questions

• How would you ensure proper receipt of communications between earth and moon?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Alviso, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TiVo (Alviso, CA) in September 2009.

Interview

First email from internal recruiter then phone screen. Phone interview with hiring manager, phone interview with another engineer, 12 back-to-back in person interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at TiVo in June 2017.

Interview

Round 1:-
    Some basic File concept questions and DBMS related concepts were asked.

Round 2:-
    I was asked only one coding question and as I was unable to answer it properly, I wasn't qualified for the next Round.