Tile Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tile Interview Questions

Interviews at Tile

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tile (San Mateo, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone screen was what you'd expect, a couple days later I got invited in for the on-site interview. The recruiter was very friendly, we talked about the Warriors, etc. I didn't do so well on the first technical interview, but right after it the recruiter stepped back in to say there was an "all hands on deck" issue that required everyone, so I was escorted out and told to get in contact about rescheduling the rest of the interviews. I suspected this was just a smokescreen to end the interview early and when I reached out again, I was told they would not be moving forward with my application. Just seemed like a strange way to handle it to me.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I had a bad interview experience with Tile.

It started out fantastic! The recruiter phone call was friendly, I had a nice chat with the hiring manager with a phone screen, and the on-site everyone was really nice. I messed up on some questions but they seemed to be interested in my thought process vs a memorized answer. I got to meet the hiring manager again who seemed like a really great person to work for.

After the interview though my experience became pretty bad. I was given an offer that wasn't as competitive on paper, which is fine in it's own right. However, Tile tried to convince me how the offer was going to make me a lot of money in the future. Essentially, they were using magic math that more or less sounded like what you'd hear from a pyramid scheme.It came off as Tile is having a hard time finding talent and they'll say whatever to make you sign, even if it's not true.

Interview Questions

They tried to sell me with untrue magic math that boils down to a "get rich quick" scheme.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Tile (San Mateo, CA).

Interview

I had one phone screen. It was a very easy question. Then I did 4 1 hour interviews on site. I was provided lunch. I met with two of my teammates then the VP of Engineering. I got an offer the same day.

Interview Questions

• Describe network stack and have you ever worked in bluetooth   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Tile.

Interview

Snobby. Applied for a position online, a couple days later was told I had 48 hours to complete a challenge, and if my "challenge" was chosen, I'd receive an interview. There was NO phone screen, just an email demanding I dedicate a chunk of my life to providing them with a fully fleshed out marketing strategy. A week passed, and finally I got a canned email saying "sorry, you weren't chosen for an interview". I understand the need for a challenge and that skills tests and presentations can be effective ways of measuring talent. However, this is a 2-way relationship, and to expect a candidate to dance like a monkey to even get a phone screening is disrespectful. Treat all candidates, employees, and applicants as you'd want to be treated. Further, it seems shortsighted to ask someone for a presentation when you've not given them at least a few minutes over the phone to discuss the company and ask questions that would inform the objective of the challenge.

Interview Questions

• Requesting a strategic plan presentation prior to an interview.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Tile in July 2015.

Interview

I've never had a worse experience interviewing and I never even had the chance for an official interview! To explain: the CEO reached out to me and said I'd be a "perfect fit" for a marketing role they were hiring for. I responded expressing my interest and he passed me along to their recruiter. That person proceeded to reschedule with me four times over the next three weeks as something always came up on his schedule. Mind you this wasn't the hiring manager or a later round interview, this was the first phone interview which should only take 15 minutes. Finally we locked in a date and when the time came to chat I never received a call. I sent a follow up email that was never responded to. As unprofessional as it gets from an interview standpoint, strongly recommend against interviewing with this company.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tile in June 2018.

Interview

Initial phone screen was with a recruiter who initiated contact with me - interview was approx 20 mins. Most unprofessional phone screen I've ever participated in with a recruiter for the following reasons:

-she was blatantly ill-prepared about my background/expertise and the role, and appeared overwhelmed by her current role; flustered/time constrained/unfriendly demeanor
    -she did not comprehend the essentials of the job function for which she was screening
    -unable to answer basic questions about the team and internal logistics/infrastructure; ended many responses with "I don't know, I'm not part of the marketing team."
    -her questions were more aligned with a 'generalist' recruiter that does not understand critical corporate job functions
    -this was a more senior level role and she asked questions that clearly showed she did not understand the details of the job spec/function as she asked me if I had ever done basic tasks/projects that were more aligned with a role at least 2 levels below this one
    -she was reading from a script to describe the company milestones and was unable to go off script when asked basic corporate/team questions, etc.
    -did not provide an environment that made me feel I could ask very many questions as she either did not know the answer or acted like she wanted to cut interview screening short
    -overall a highly negative initial reflection on the company - this caught me off guard considering the company appears to already have a perception/employee moral issue and this experience only helped to further support that perception (per Glass Door ratings/reviews/former employees)
    After that phone screen, I was not interested in moving forward with the company

Interview Questions

Tile Response

Jul 20, 2018 – VP, People

Thanks for your candid impression of the hiring process. We have a new recruiting team that is getting up to speed. I'd appreciate it if you would reach out to me directly at lissa@thetileapp.com so... More

Backend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Tile (San Mateo, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was invited to have a phone interview with them. Phone interview was scheduled as soon as I gave them my availabity. The interview lasted an hour. Went over every projects in my resume. Then asked me to write two algorithms (linked list). I solved the problems but was rejected two days after the interview.

Backend Engineer Interview

Interview

It was a generic on-site interview process. Back to back interviews. I felt that the engineers think too highly of themselves. Questions looked like they were framed just a few minutes ago. Most interviewers were busy on their laptops and didn't seem keen. They have a specific answer they're looking for and not too keen to understand what I was suggesting. They had already had a judgement in their minds, which changed when I finished answers quickly for those who could actually follow. Arrogant. One spent time critiquing my resume and what I should and should not write in a very rude way. My mind was already made up, interesting they could not beat the lowest offer I had, from a startup much smaller.
    I would sincerely recommend you guys train your engineers for interviews.

Interview Questions

Tile Response

Dec 28, 2016

Thank you for your honest feedback and suggestion. Our team welcomes feedback and suggestions from our candidates so we can improve our process. We apologize that you had a negative interview... More

Senior Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Tile (San Mateo, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

Interviewers Beware: E-mail from HR, phone call with HR, phone call with manager, interview with team members, interview with CFO. However they canceled the interview with team members the night before. This job was put on hold. That is an instant sign of financial issues. Please stay away from this company. The process was also drawn out over the course of 6 weeks. There is talk of fake news well Tile lists fake jobs.

Interview Questions

Tile Response

Jan 29, 2018

We appreciate your candid feedback and understand your disappointment that the role was put on hold. As soon as we were aware, we communicated that to you in as timely a manner as possible. We would... More

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Tile in January 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from Tile and was scheduled for a phone interview with one of their engineers. I was all set up and ready for the call. I didn't get any after 15 minutes so I sent them an email. I did not get any responses either. Coincidentally, I was having network issues on my phone. After more than an hour, the recruiter replied to my email saying they couldn't reach me on my phone and that they have decided to move forward with other candidates after looking at my resume again.
    I was baffled. I knew there were network issues and I tried getting it corrected. I even got other calls in that time and they were all fine.
    It is highly unprofessional of them to not even send me an email or even bother to reply to my email on time. Rejecting a candidate because the call wouldn't connect seems very iffy to me.