TinyCo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at TinyCo

Sort:

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

I submitted my application via Jobvite which included resume, cover letter, etc. I was first contacted via email by an internal recruiter about a phone interview. I believe the office manager sent me an email via Jobvite for confirmation.

I had a 30 minute phone interview with the manager of the two person community team. Following that, the recruiter emailed me asking how that interview went. I replied and the following day the recruiter emailed me back to schedule an in person interview. The office manager emailed me via Jobvite again to confirm and asked that I fill out an application.

I then interviewed with the community team manager, who was nice, but oddly more rigid that over the phone, other community manager, who was sweet and fun, and product manager (formerly a community manager) who came across as snobby and kept "correcting" my answers during parts of my interview.

After that, I talked to the recruiter and received an email confirmation to interview with the CEO of the company. He walked in with his computer and spent most of the time looking at the computer and asking me my opinion of what type of company TinyCo is.

The recruiter contacted me again asking for my salary history. I thought this would lead to a job offer. i THEN received an email from her about a Community Team assignment, which I didn't understand since I'd already gone through so many in person interviews - why would they need a writing sample now? One week after submitting the writing assignment, I received an email through Jobvite from the recruiter letting me know that I didn't get the job. I asked for feedback, but have not received it.

Generally, people seemed very nice in the interviews, but very guarded - particularly the men. The women I met were very friendly and bubbly. The office was quiet and pretty sterile. It seemed like they had everything they needed in the office, including some perks.

Interview Questions

• If you walked in Monday morning with 200 emails about the same small problem, but there was also a large problem/bug, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

Tinyco HR contacted me via linkedin and asked me if i want an interview. I decided to give it a try because it's sort of boring in my current company. I worked in gaming industry many years. I was just curious about Tinyco kind of small startup.

I got two telephone interviews and one in-house interview. Interviews were very easy. Just simple questions about c++ and simple algorithm about array and linklist. You don't need to prepare complex algorithm for this company. Forget about tree/forest/graph/hash.

The reason I declined the offer is that I found people complained Tinyco about cloning games of other companies in Quora. Then i played the games of Tinyco. Yes, all their games are clones of other games. For example, the Tiny Monster is a clone of Dragonville, and not as good as Dragonville. As a veteran in gaming industry, I knew if you don't have creativity, you will die one day. Zynga is dying, and with bad reputation. I don't want to work in a company with bad reputation. As a result, I turned down the offer.

Interview Questions

• Just simple questions about c++ and simple algorithm about array and linklist.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

A basic phone interview with HR at first.

Two technical interview over phone and web with increasing level of difficult. You have to solve the problems in the language of your choice.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not negotiate anything. They said the salary is fixed and not negotiable.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at TinyCo in October 2014.

Interview

Interview with HR member about background
    2x Interview with engineering team about pointers and algorithms (shared code)
    Onsite interview with 4 members of engineering team (including Engineering Manager)
    Got the offer next day in the morning

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

I was first given a skill-testing assignment with about seven questions on it. After completing it, I was given two one-hour phone interviews, which I later learned were part of a best-of-three phone interview process. After the phone interviews, I was flown to their headquarters in San Francisco for a series of four one-hour in-person interviews.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to design a class in C++ that could represent a JSON object.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at TinyCo in December 2017.

Interview

I spoke with a Recruiter who described the company and discussed a bit about the position with me for around 15 minutes and sent me a test to take before the end of the day. I submitted the completed test the next day and got a rejection email about four hours later.

Interview Questions

• Analyze a piece of code and note any problems you see in it.
      Bonus: Note how RAII could simplify the code.   Answer Question
    • Given Class A with Function B (described later in the test), create Class C that encapsulates A and has function D that returns a state that may be changed by B.   Answer Question
    • Describe exactly what is going on in each step of program and the final output.   Answer Question
    • Given an overloaded operator, explain where it might be found in code, why it returns what it does, and why it is not written as a member function.   Answer Question
    • Given a tree of nodes, implement a depth-first search to look through it to find a node with a given value. For bonus points, do it as a breadth-first as well.   Answer Question
    • Given that same tree, write a function to determine the depth of a node in the tree.   Answer Question

C++ Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Initially contacted by a recruiter through LinkedIn. Very long interview process...was 4 phone interviews and a take-home test, and I didn't even get an on-site interview. First a 30 minute phone call with the recruiter, then a take-home coding test that took me 2-3 hours. 3 technical phone interviews, an hour each, all were about the same difficulty. For this particular position they focus immensely on your knowledge of C++ (including STL and Boost); experience with social games, mobile games, or game programming in general is irrelevant.

I think this is my only interview with a game company in which they asked me nothing about games. Based on the questions, they don't want a game developer, they want a C++ robot.

Interview Questions

• The phone interview questions were: Various questions about using STL containers and algorithms, C++ theory questions (allocation of memory, references, exceptions, stack unraveling, copy constructors, operator overloading, etc.), Count the number of 0s in an integer, Fibonnacci number (both recursively and iteratively and O(x) of each), write a function that rounds a float to the nearest int.   Answer Question

Associate Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at TinyCo in March 2015.

Interview

The interview had three rounds. One initial phone screening where the recruiting manager will contact you and get to know you more, be prepared to discuss your recent project with her. After the phone screening she will review your resume with her boss and get back to you with another interview with the boss with a product development assignment. If they find you capable and fit their expectation, they will fly you to their office and conduct a face-to-face interview.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Fast, efficient, challenging, made sense. I first talked to a recruiter who was very nice and made sure that I was at least looking for what the company was offering. Then I had a call with one of the product managers which was challenging and enjoyable. Then I was sent a test to complete that took a long time. I wrote more than expected and was commended for it. Then I was brought in to interview with 3 senior product managers. One was easy, one was challenging, and one made me feel like there was no way I would get the job based on the difficulty of the questions. All were nice.

Interview Questions

• How would you measure success of a feature you implemented   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TinyCo (San Francisco, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

First round phone interview:
    - Walk through your resume and experience
    - Have you played TinyCo games. What do you think about them?
    - Are you a big gamer? What kind of game do you play?

Interview Questions

• - Have you played TinyCo games. What do you think about them?   Answer Question