TinyCo Reviews

Updated Aug 8, 2018

3.1
TinyCo Chief Executive Officer Chris DeWolfe (no image)
Chris DeWolfe
0 Rating
Pros
Cons
  • "Upper management 'encourages' the implementation of ideas from other games without checking whether it's even apt for the game(in 10 reviews)

• "It's hard to make a real impact on the decision-making for the games that are made (but small effects are easy)(in 4 reviews)

1. "Good, passionate people trying to make great games."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TinyCo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There’s catered lunch a few days a week and catered dinner. Work life balance is mostly good other than understandably right before a big game release. Best coworkers you will ever work with!

Cons

401k marching is non existent. No bonuses or equity or any other structure exists to make me feel like I have a stake in company success.

2. "Data Analyst"

I worked at TinyCo full-time

Pros

very nice people to work with

Cons

can be super busy sometimes, many ad-hoc analysis can make the work less organized.

Continue reading

3. "Dedicated people working in a changing market"

I worked at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great people - Access to great brands for games - Strong employee culture

Cons

- Lots of recent changes happening. could make things choppy in the short-term

"Reasonable Place"

Former Employee - C++ Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TinyCo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good IPs - Convenient location - Talented and smart people

Cons

- No proper HR - Unfriendly people - Salary well under industry standards - Average benefits, no 401k matching

June 16, 2017Team TinyCo

Thank you so much for sharing your honest feedback. We’re still a small but growing studio, and always eager to improve our current practices. As we move forward, we are/will be evaluating additional ways to create a better environment for our employees. A few are already in place, such as our recent addition of 100% Company Paid Employee Medical, Dental & Vision, and Unlimited PTO. Thank you again. Feedback like this helps more than anything. :)

5. "Stable gaming studio"

I have been working at TinyCo full-time

Pros

Benefits have improved, strong IPs, fun culture. Good work life balance. Smart and passionate people.

Cons

No commuter benefits or 401K matching. Management needs some structure.

June 16, 2017Team TinyCo

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. We are definitely working on it! As we grow, we will continue to reevaluate our benefits & cool awesome perks for our talented TinyTeam. Just this year, we have introduced 100% Company Paid Employee Medical, Dental & Vision, Unlimited PTO and Quarterly Team Outings. Thank you again for your feedback. Your thoughts are always appreciated!

6. "A great Family!"

I have been working at TinyCo full-time

Pros

TinyCo is growing and working on some of the best brands in the world in a great, casual and fun environment. The company has great benefits and prioritizes work/life balance over short term goals.

Cons

Some growing pains remain that the company acknowledges and works toward fixing.

June 16, 2017Team TinyCo

Woot! Woot! For sure, this would not be possible without our family/team. :)

"Beware"

I worked at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good IPs (at questionable bargains) The standard start-up flair (free snacks, dinner, basic benefits package) Good location

Cons

Manipulates reviews so be warned. Chaotic (sometimes non-functional) environments are the norm. Most talent maintaining the studio is long gone or was let go with only a handful of competent employees keeping operations going. Power-hungry management is corrupt and cliquish. The company has survived on a revolving door of talent to hide their tenured shortcomings. Most managers are trench promotes with no ability or experience being one and it shows from their turnover rate. They often berate employees both privately and publicly to secure their own positions in the petty political environment. This creates a cultish vibe that oppresses original thinking. This is only a place for those desperate to break into the industry. The allure of big name franchises attracts but comes at a cost of their current potential and capabilities. Pay close attention to the non-5 star reviews and recent acquisition.

Continue reading

"A Fun and Rewarding Place to Work"

Current Employee - Art Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros

We make killer mobile games based on the best IPs in the world--what's not to love? I've been n artist at the company for two years and plan to stick around for the long-term. Stellar projects, great people and culture, good work-life balance, fantastic prospects for future success.

Cons

Office space is getting tight as the company outgrows its current office. Perks are good, but may be slightly less than you've experienced at other companies.

"No, no & no."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TinyCo full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Some amazing and talented people - Catered dinners and periodic lunches/events - Great location (easier to job hunt and interview for something better!)

Cons

- Middle managers and above are mediocre at best but mostly incompetent - Nonexistent HR. Would not be surprised if the company ever gets sued for HR violations - Below-standard pay and benefits/perks. They provide the bare minimum of the law and almost nothing more. - Tend to hire sycophants, resulting in piss-poor practices and minimal to no improvement in development practices and products. Actual good developers end up leaving or getting sidelined - Long hours - No bonuses, minimal to no raises - Executive team feels like a cool kids/boys club; entirely male-dominated - The company does not care about retaining talent. They take advantage of the fact that many people want to work in the game industry. This results in an unprecedented employee turnover rate

"Run. Keep running."

I worked at TinyCo

Pros

The people are nice but tend to have Stockholm syndrome (as evidenced by the 5 star reviews, almost all are from artists or recruiters). TinyCo depends on the social ties you make to keep you there because nothing else likely will. The office location is convenient.

Cons

Abysmal pay that is the lowest in the industry, shady HR that is more concerned with saving money than preventing violations, tons of internal politics.

Found 66 reviews