TinyCo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Suli Ali

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great community of talented people that like to get stuff done (in 9 reviews)

• The company has great benefits and prioritizes work/life balance over short term goals (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Most managers are trench promotes with no ability or experience being one and it shows from their turnover rate (in 3 reviews)

• The HR management is almost non-existent (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great Family!"

I have been working at TinyCo full-time

Pros

TinyCo is growing and working on some of the best brands in the world in a great, casual and fun environment.
    The company has great benefits and prioritizes work/life balance over short term goals.

Cons

Some growing pains remain that the company acknowledges and works toward fixing.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of people, it pays off

Jun 16, 2017 – Team TinyCo

Woot! Woot! For sure, this would not be possible without our family/team. :)

"Reasonable Place"

Former Employee - C++ Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - C++ Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TinyCo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good IPs
    - Convenient location
    - Talented and smart people

Cons

- No proper HR
    - Unfriendly people
    - Salary well under industry standards
    - Average benefits, no 401k matching

Jun 16, 2017 – Team TinyCo

Thank you so much for sharing your honest feedback. We’re still a small but growing studio, and always eager to improve our current practices. As we move forward, we are/will be evaluating additional... More

3. "Stable gaming studio"

I have been working at TinyCo full-time

Pros

Benefits have improved, strong IPs, fun culture. Good work life balance. Smart and passionate people.

Cons

No commuter benefits or 401K matching. Management needs some structure.

Jun 16, 2017 – Team TinyCo

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback. We are definitely working on it! As we grow, we will continue to reevaluate our benefits & cool awesome perks for our talented TinyTeam. Just this... More

"Beware"

I worked at TinyCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good IPs (at questionable bargains)
    The standard start-up flair (free snacks, dinner, basic benefits package)
    Good location

Cons

Manipulates reviews so be warned. Chaotic (sometimes non-functional) environments are the norm. Most talent maintaining the studio is long gone or was let go with only a handful of competent employees keeping operations going. Power-hungry management is corrupt and cliquish. The company has survived on a revolving door of talent to hide their tenured shortcomings. Most managers are trench promotes with no ability or experience being one and it shows from their turnover rate. They often berate employees both privately and publicly to secure their own positions in the petty political environment. This creates a cultish vibe that oppresses original thinking.

This is only a place for those desperate to break into the industry. The allure of big name franchises attracts but comes at a cost of their current potential and capabilities. Pay close attention to the non-5 star reviews and recent acquisition.

Advice to Management

If you haven't listened yet you don't plan to.

"A Fun and Rewarding Place to Work"

Current Employee - Art Lead in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Art Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TinyCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We make killer mobile games based on the best IPs in the world--what's not to love? I've been n artist at the company for two years and plan to stick around for the long-term. Stellar projects, great people and culture, good work-life balance, fantastic prospects for future success.

Cons

Office space is getting tight as the company outgrows its current office. Perks are good, but may be slightly less than you've experienced at other companies.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Continue to push the game design in new, fresh FUN directions. Continue to invest in the great 3D art pipeline that we're building--it's paying off.

"No, no & no."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at TinyCo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some amazing and talented people
    - Catered dinners and periodic lunches/events
    - Great location (easier to job hunt and interview for something better!)

Cons

- Middle managers and above are mediocre at best but mostly incompetent
    - Nonexistent HR. Would not be surprised if the company ever gets sued for HR violations
    - Below-standard pay and benefits/perks. They provide the bare minimum of the law and almost nothing more.
    - Tend to hire sycophants, resulting in piss-poor practices and minimal to no improvement in development practices and products. Actual good developers end up leaving or getting sidelined
    - Long hours
    - No bonuses, minimal to no raises
    - Executive team feels like a cool kids/boys club; entirely male-dominated
    - The company does not care about retaining talent. They take advantage of the fact that many people want to work in the game industry. This results in an unprecedented employee turnover rate

Advice to Management

Start thinking long-term.

"Run. Keep running."

Pros

The people are nice but tend to have Stockholm syndrome (as evidenced by the 5 star reviews, almost all are from artists or recruiters). TinyCo depends on the social ties you make to keep you there because nothing else likely will.

The office location is convenient.

Cons

Abysmal pay that is the lowest in the industry, shady HR that is more concerned with saving money than preventing violations, tons of internal politics.

Advice to Management

Management is aware but unwilling to change any of it so there isn't much of a point

"It's decent, not great"

I have been working at TinyCo full-time

Pros

Fun projects to work on. Lots of friendships will be made when you work here. There is room to grow here in the way you want to. Generally a positive environment. Flexible working hours.

Cons

There is a lot of favoritism. If your not part of that club it's very hard to rise to the top or earn meaningful raises. The HR management is almost non-existent. The only person in charge of that has all her interest in helping the higher ups and treats the rest of the company employees like scum. If your creative, you will be treated poorly by higher ups.

Advice to Management

Stop being cheap with the employees that deserve better wages. A lot of people are very dedicated to your company and deserve higher pay for it. The recent acquisition has only proven that you do not give back anything more then a few pennies.

"Great Culture but Poor Management"

I worked at TinyCo (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are incredibly passionate, talented, and inspiring. The culture is second to none. Every day in the office is fun when you get to work on great games and exciting projects with amazing people.

Cons

Management and HR are very poor. HR pinches pennies at the expense of employee happiness. Compensation is a joke if you do not enter the company at a senior level. Don't expect management to go out of their way for you if you want to pursue a different team or project.

Advice to Management

Better commuter benefits and 401k. Do something about HR. Most employees are unhappy with the lack of compassion and compensation that is to be offered by HR.

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at TinyCo (More than a year)

Pros

Smart and funny people.
    Cool environment.
    Game lunches.
    Game room.
    Company outings.

Cons

Tight deadlines.
    Easy dispose of talented people.