Transport for London Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2017

3.2

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Kensington, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Transport for London (West Kensington, England (UK)).

Interview

The application process as a whole is a lengthy one.

Once I had completed my initial application I was invited (via email) to book an online assessment. This was almost a month after my initial application on July 31st. The assessment consisted of senario based question asking what you would to in different situations in a multiple choice format.

The next step was an invitation to the assessment centre for another assessment. Again it was a booking process, however there was no availability for another month and so had to wait again. The assessment was in two stages. The first part was a check for grammar, punctuation and handwriting , you are given a short passage to read and have to correct any grammatical errors and add any punctuation that was missing where necessary. Once this was completed you then had to rewrite the passage in your best handwritting. The next part of the assessment was based on your understanding of how to read tickets. You are given a scenario of someone travel from a specific station at a specific time and shown several tickets, you had to decide whether or not each ticket was valid or not. That was then followed by you being shown a series of tickets that are either valid or invalid and you had to circle (multiple choice) why they were it were not valid. Each section of the assessment is timed.

Lastly if you successfully pass this stage you are invited to return for an interview, which again took another month or so. Again there are two stages, the first is role play; you are given a scenario that you have to act out with one of the tfl employees and are observed whilst doing so. If you pass this stage you do the interview ,if not you are sent home.

I managed to pass the role play so dat the interview. The interview consisted of 4 competency based questions, which if you are prepared for should be relatively easy. However I did get one question about shareholders which was a curve ball but I answered it the very I could. You are told after the interview that you will hear back from TfL within 10-15 days to notify you whether you are successful or not. I am still waiting for a response.

Overall the process is not that hard as you are always told in emails what you should expect from each stage, if you prepare you should be fine. They only con I would say there is, is how long the process is, I applied on the 31st of July it’s now the 16th of November.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have given good customer service.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to work towards a deadline, what did you do?   Answer Question
    • There was a Shareholder question, can’t remember exactly what they asked.   Answer Question

CSA1/CSA2 Interview

Interview

Submitted my application in July 2017 passed that stage then was invited to complete the maths, English and tube map test in August which were relatively easy but you are timed so you need to move efficiently after the test was told i would hear back in a couple of weeks if I passed or failed, I heard the next day that I had passed and they were inviting me for the second stage which was a role play and a competency based interview which I booked in for October. I was successful at both stages and was offered the job now just waiting on training dates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you have gone the extra mile for customer? Whether at work or outside   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in West Kensington, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Transport for London (West Kensington, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online July 7th 17. Pretty straight forward application form, usually some companies only allow if you have relevant skills however TfL are neutral and dont require previous experience. Within 1-3 hours received an email to fill out an questionnaire. Basically answering questions on how to deal with situations and how you would react. They have a 3 minute video prior to the questions, i highly recommend that you watch the video as it is employee accounts of possible situations you could face and brief and TfL as a company. I believe i had 5 days deadline to complete the questionnaire but it was fairly easy so done straight away. 3 days later ( 10th July ) recieved an email about successful outcome please book an interview which was 2 weeks time with a specific day designated and various times to choose from Friday 28th July 17. Once you confirm your time you then get a email confirming the time and access to their ' Candidate Charter' where you can view practice materials to prepare yourself for the English and Maths assessment. On Assessment day process was very smooth and the tests itself was very easy regardless of ability as the two assessors in the room do an example with everyone and if you do make a mistake or have questions thats the only time to ask them. Both tests are timed to 7,2, 10, 10 minutes per sections i wont give too much away are they do change which order they will do but if you make it to this stage my review will make sense. There is a benchmark to meet so dont worry if you dont finish as long as the benchmark they have set is met whether you finish or not does not matter. ( they do not tell you the benchmark but my best advice is understand the practice materials then you will know how best to approach the questions.) i completed every question confidently and had enough time to double check - hopefully that indicates how easy they are!

3 Working days ( Wednesday 2nd August) after the tests i received my email that i had passed the assessments and have been invited back for the Role play and Competency based interview and had to confirm my time asap as it was for that Friday 4th August 17. On my Assessment day there was 28 people doing the tests and 1 person got penalised for not stopping ontime so you can imagine how strict it is.

On the Day of the Role Play it is important you have your correct ID as they take copies at this stage and they will refuse you regardless if you dont have all as you are told on assessment day what to bring should you pass those tests. Role play scenario was very interesting as it is actors/staff who know the scenario in depth so you have to adapt to the situation. You meet the assessor who will be judging your customer service skills before hand and he gives you tour scenario sheet, which breaks down the law, whats illegal and what your role you will be playing. You are given 5 minutes to prepare for the scenario so dont panic! You are not thrown in the deep end! And 5 minutes adapting and finding an outcome to your situation. On this day there was 4 of us at a specific time so you can imagine the big drop in people from the tests to Role play n interview day there was! After that you are taken to a room to wait --- which basically you will ether get taken out for an interview or told you have not passed the Role Play. You only get an interview if you pass the roleplay so do take note of how to prepare in the information they send out in the emails! My interview was around 30-40 minutes long and after the competency based questions/interview i wasn't feeling to hopeful as i did find them a bit hard but if you have great understanding of you employer/business, heirachy, the job role, job specific issues etc - you are on your way to possibly passing the interview ! The assessor i had was nice and although she didnt give me an indication on how she personally felt i handled the questions she did bring me water ready after the role play which i found kind and attentive, and told me the responce time after the interview and was very encouraging enough to if i was not offered employment i will apply again. I can confirm i have been offered the job today and im so excited that i had to share my experience with you guys so you dont think negatively on applying! Although this is a headache to read if i had this before hand i would of been alot more relaxed but i applied once and passed and been accepted once so very reassuring if you put in pre work/practice you can gain the outcome you want!

Good luck people!

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Kensington, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Transport for London (West Kensington, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Online application - online situational judgement tests - assessment centre to test literacy, numeracy, ability to use tube map, ability to check validity of tickets and also a handwriting test - assessment centre which includes role play exercise involving a customer service scenario and finally a competency based interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you delivered really good customer service?   Answer Question

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Transport for London (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online, called for panel interview at their London office. Interview consists of HR competency questions and then 2 technical questions. They asked me to contact within a week, after a week they emailed me to say that they are still interviewing more people and let me know, the end of the week. But they never again contacted me. After another week i got a automated letter from HR telling me that i was not successful. Pathetic company. Hire and fire culture. It was a waste of time in applying for jobs at TFL. I would not recommend.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Transport for London (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Online application multiple choice questions then In house visual tests. Asking you to look at different travel tickets Then role play and competency interview passed all but the competency interview

Interview Questions

• What are you working on to improve yourself   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Transport for London in September 2017.

Interview

Completed a written assignment (email response to customer), calculated some tube travel costs, did a basis grammar test, mapped tube routes and then had a 2 min fake call with a customer. No actual interview questions were asked - aside from the call it was conducted in a silent test room environment.

Customer Service Agent CSA Interview

Application

Interview

I don't want to put you off, but here are some truths about my experience during the recruitment process.

The whole process is long, too much paperwork, too much emails, for what it is. So don't be over preoccupied with thinking this is the only job in the world for you, if you're in a job already, don't leave a job until you're accepted by TFL.

The recruitment staff I found to be patronising, spending too much time, talking down, and treating the public like primary school children, too much chatter on theory and to be honest just at keeping you nervous, and to be feeling like an idiot, but 1 thing out of 10 is useful, if you can figure out the 1 thing. It's not that complicated, but it may seem to be, for people who have no experience in recruitment process and how jobs work. So just be yourself, revise, prepare and stay calm, if you get the job good, if not move on. TFL or any other job should never be a life goal.

The Process,

Applied online,
    Month one:
    1. Online application form and CV (passed)
    3. They then emailed me an online test questionnaire, (competency/skills type) (passed)
    Month two:
    4. They then sent me an email to schedule a interview for English and Travel Ticket/table reading (passed, notified by email in week). This test is about reading different tickets dates, zones, saying if it's correct or not. The English test is about spelling, full-stops, etc. simple. but practice before you start, (level 1 English sentence structure). The practice material they send, is okay to start with, but the Fare table that they send which you have to calculate maths problems is not in the test. (passed)
    Month Three
    5. Called to do role-play (easy, someone vaping and had the wrong ticket), (didn't pass, unknown reasons, no feedback given) (but I had to leave feedback for them before I left, and so do other candidates,
    6. if you are sent to the feedback room, that means your leaving, so give the right scores, according to your experience, don't just give them full top marks.
    7. Last stage is the 3 or 4 questions on (teamwork, how you handle difficult situations, how do provide excellent customer service, etc) didn't do this part, a friend of mine did.

I was told to reapply in 6 months time. but how do you improve if your not giving any type of feedback so a reapply will be a waste of time, unless they are looking for numbers, and then you are taken on.

The staff
    The reception guy is rude, and patronising, He's a timekeeper and thinks he's an immigration officer. his customer service skills are poor and his friendliness is fake.
    The English and Maths, test man, he's friendly but pretentious.
    The role play briefing guy (same as tester), friendly but fake.
    The actor in the role play, interview, bald white guy, fake, see's you as a number.
    The actor 2, in the role play, she is friendly but fake.

All in all the staff are run by no diverse backgrounds, ironic as 90% of candidates are diverse.
    The recruitment staff, do show friendliness, but it's fake. everything is done to cover their backsides legally only, and they are doing a well paid job. But the overall recruitment process is okay. but don't go in trusting them.

This is my experience, If your okay or good at customer service go for it, but even if you're excellent at customer service there no guarantee. It seems they take by numbers, and (subtle preferences, which you won't pick up), but I personally belief discrimination is still there, they need diverse staff, who reflect London, not Essex and suburbs of Richmond. So depending on their need of numbers, you might be lucky and be picked like a random apple from a tree. (even if you're poor at customer service and people skills). I guess this is the same for any company, there are only bums who are running and in charge of places, who in reality are not fit to be in charge.

The interview is easy, but they make it seem complicated and long, something farfetched.

Sorry for the low down, but I have to be honest and tell you guys the truth.

Interview Questions

• At the Data test (tickets, zones etc)

10 mins
      I was given 20 tickets (and some bank cards) to go through, with wrong zones, wrong dates, wrong/no bank logo) you have to chose from 5 choices, (valid date, not valid date, valid zone, not valid zone, not valid/other reason).

5 or so mins
      The table test, is a table of stations, which you have to calculate the time, from one station to the other, (revise train time tables from station to station, the practice material i think isn't enough).

3-4 mins
      The zone test, how many zones do you cross from station X to station X. remember you can't go into the same zone twice. so you say something like what the ticket says, zones 123.   1 Answer
    • The English test

5 or so mins
      A paragraph is written and you have to correct it, find the mistakes.
      Usually Capital, spelling, word order. i.e. the train left on 3pm, (change on to at 3pm).

Revise for this.   Answer Question
    • If you get to the final part interview style questions will be skills based. (they call it competency style).

Where you talk and talk giving examples of good teamwork, bad situations and how you deal with it, good customer service. etc. all related to the type of job you going for.

so you discuss, giving your example, saying what happened, and what was the outcome, and so on. (see online for competency style questions and how to answer them, spend some time revising them, recalling good examples to speak about).   Answer Question

CSA Interview

Application

Interview

Where can I start? This wasn't really an interview more of a spelling test and answer questions about valid travel documents, I believe there was to many candidates for one "interview" never even got to sit down and talk to them on a 1-2-1 basis as it would have been nice to actually show my customer service is 100% but I guess they would rather bulk interview and occasionally miss someone good

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Transport for London (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Filled out an online application and then got emailed I was through to the next stage of the exam in head office.
    They email you a helping pack which is basically the test but shorter and untimed so make sure you understand those questions. I then got another email like 2 weeks later saying I got through to the role play & potentially the interview stage.
    I think what they're looking for in the role play more than anything is that you have good people skills & are understanding of the customers situation- you must get the customer to do what you want i.e getting their feet of the chairs or getting of the train.
    The interview stage was a normal competency STAR based interview. The guy very nice & chatty tbh I think if you passed the role play it's a home run from there.
    Just waiting to get my training dates now.

Overall longest recruitment ptocess EVER i applied mid Jan & heard I got the job mid July!

Interview Questions

• I can't remember any of them but they were all competency based   Answer Question