Trek Bicycle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trek Bicycle Interview Questions

Interviews at Trek Bicycle

2.6

PHP Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle.

Interview

5 hour long interview process with the entire team plus HR and another web manager. Most of the time was spent talking about the company and position and not asking me questions so it was a very easy interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Sent an email with offer

Business Solutions Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in October 2010.

Interview

I had applied for the position several months before and actually forgot about the application because it had been quite a while.
    HR Phone screening.
    The HR rep contacted me and communicated that they were interested in moving forward. At that time, he conducted a mini phone interview which asked
    -Why I wanted to work at Trek
    -What attracted me to this position
    -What specific skills could I offer that would be fitting to this position.
    We then set up a time to interview with the hiring manager over the phone.

Phone Interview- Hiring Manager
    That interview was scheduled for 45 minutes but went almost 1.5 hours, which was good.
    It was an open format with the questions relating directly to experience from my resume.
    I appreciated this format because I think it helped give a good picture of the experience that I could bring
     to the team.

At the end of the call, the hiring manager invited me for an in-person interview for the following week, stating that they were on a tight timeline for this position and would like to have a decision by the following Friday.

In Person Interview
    The on-site interview was nearly 5 hours long. It consisted of a Tour of the facilities and individual meetings with the with HR Rep, Hiring Manager, CIO, Product Manager, and IT Manager.

Tour
    The facilities are very impressive. The culture comes out very clearly just by walking in the building. Very open, collaborative, creative. Bikes are on display everywhere. They have a state of the art workout facility on-site with various workout classes that can be taken during work hours and after. They have a commuter room in which to store bikes for those who ride in to work, along with a mechanic for tune-ups. There's also a vast amount of bike trails on-site for employees to use.

Culture
    The environment is very casual. The breakdown of age groups seems pretty balanced, but minimal diversity, (not that much diversity can be found in Waterloo. WI in general.) Their credo focuses on minimal bureaucracy and the organization is quite flat (reinforced by the fact that I was interviewed by the CIO) It seems to be a truly medium-sized firm with all of the growing pains that medium-sized firms face. Not large enough to have an extreme amount of structure, but too big for a lassiez faire approach. so it seemed that there is an absence of overall strategic vision across teams.

Individual Interviews
    None of the interviews has an extreme amount of structure or order to them. They poked around at my resume and asked a few planted questions. The Product Manager gave me a BA scenario to talk through; the CIO asked culture-related questions like how I structure my day, what was the best criticism I've ever gotten; The Hiring Manager asked me to describe what made me unique, and how I would handle communication and relationship conflicts within teams. The IT Manager did not have a plan at all and mostly just looked at my resume and asked about things I had done.

The Hiring manager had promised several times throughout the day that they were planning to make a decision the next day and that they would let me know either way. He described that they would meet to do a ranking of the candidates and even if I was runner up and they needed more time, he would call me to give me a status update the next day.

I thought this was quite a strange and unnecessary promise to make, because knowing how those decision processes go, 1) it is not easy to make a decision so quickly when 4 other decision-makers are involved 2) it is not wise to let your runner up know that he or she is runner up in case things don't work out with your first candidate 3) it is generally accepted that companies do not follow up immediately after an interview.

But at the time, I appreciated their earnest effort to be forthcoming about their decision process. I had felt that the interviews went well and that I would be considered for the position.

However, it has been a month and I never did receive the follow-up that they had planned on giving so quickly. I did follow up via email once to say thank you and once to check in, but received no response.

Overall the process was a positive one, and the company is impressive. I appreciate that they have moved forward with a different candidate and I chalk the lack of follow-up to the standard hiring procedures; however I was dismayed to have actually believed that they would follow up like they had promised. Or maybe that's just the rejection talking :) Best of luck to whomever was hired!

Interview Questions

• Why would I hire you instead of the 9 other candidates? What makes you unique?   Answer Question

Help Desk Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle.

Interview

Phone interview, in person interview with hiring manager. Met with team to see if I'd be a good fit, I think overall an easy process. Great company, but was too far or a commute and I ultimately accepted a position closer to home.

Interview Questions

• How many square feet is the room we are in.   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Charlotte, NC) in July 2017.

Interview

I had two phone interviews, one in August and one in September. It is now October and I haven’t heard back after contacting the DM. Even if I did not qualify, an email or phone call would have sufficed.

Interview Questions

• How would I train the store staff to give the best customer service?   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle.

Interview

Apply online. Follow up in person with resume at store. Call store back for follow up. Get an interview. Submitted to human resources. Human Resources email paperwork to fill out. Once all is submitted first day of work is scheduled.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI

Application

I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in February 2013.

Interview

Applies on the website, and I got a phone interview. After that I went in person and got hired. It helps when you check the status of your application online.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in July 2014.

Interview

Very friendly. Open Discussion. Met with entire engineering team. Overall it was fairly smooth. HR was good with keeping in contact during the process. They mostly want to see if you will mesh well with the team.

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can add to the cycling industry?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Always ask for more, but remember this is the cycling industry, they don't pay as well and focus more on perks and people that are passionate about what they do.

Groupleader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in May 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with department manager,engineers and groupleaders and also with H.R.. They e-mailed me the time and place the interview would take place and the length of time. I was also e-mailed a list with names of the persons in my interview.

Interview Questions

• If given the position what changes would I implement to the department.   1 Answer
    • Are you a people's person?   1 Answer

Product Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI) in February 2016.

Interview

It was great, good group of people. Got to tour the facilities and learned about the process there. I would go through the process again and looking forward to working with them in the future!

Interview Questions

Trek Bicycle Response

Dec 8, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback and we are glad you had a positive experience.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trek Bicycle (Waterloo, WI).

Interview

First started off with a phone interview with the person from HR who was in charge of hiring this position. She asked a lot lot lot of questions about my current positions. One tip is to only put things in your current job descriptions on your resume that pertains to the position you are applying for. To be honest, after getting off the phone I thought for sure I was not going to get another interview. Questions were a bit odd and a lot of concern about my current position and what it had in common with what I would be doing at Trek.

I received a call 3 days later for a second (in person) interview. I did a lot of research on the company prior to attending the second interview. The day of the interview I showed up 20 minutes early... and was brought back right on time. I received a tour of the amazing facility by the same HR representative I spoke to during the first interview. I then met with 7 different individuals that I would be working with. They all focused on asking me about concerns that they had with how my current position would relate to the position at Trek. Do not be afraid to address concerns they have. I think it was great that they were able to address these concerns right away, so I wasn't shocked later on. After several hours of interviewing they offered me to stay for lunch, which I decided to pass on- looking back I should have taken them up on the offer. After leaving I felt confident that I blew the interview out of the water!

I followed up with thank you letters to each individual that were hand written and personalized. I had not heard anything by the date they promised (2 weeks later)... and thought that maybe I did not get the position. I emailed to HR representative to follow up and was informed they were still making a decision. 4 days later I received an email from the director who asked me to address some concerns she had with my previous positions. We set up a third interview on the phone so I could chat through some of her concerns and I asked her several follow up questions about what she wanted from me and how her concerns may hinder my role.

The next day I was offered the position. Trek goes through this intense interview process for a good reason. They want to make sure they have the right people for the right positions. I came in the the position knowing how to avoid some of the concerns they had, which was great and I learned what was expected of me within the roll.

BE YOURSELF- ADDRESS CONCERNS- BE GRATEFUL FOR THE OPPORTUNITY TO INTERVIEW

Interview Questions

• On a scale from 1- 10 how happy are you?
      On a scale from 1-10 how smart do you think you are?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no room for negotiation