Trion Worlds Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Trion Worlds Interview Questions

Updated Mar 22, 2017

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

1st round interview with Head of HR just asking about my roles and what I was looking for in my next position. Interview stopped short when we got to salary range. (Said cap was at 50K, I love gaming but 80K minimum for this role seemed obvious to me so I declined)

Interview Questions

• What did you do at your last position? What are you looking for at this position? Do you have experience with Publisher and Photoshop? Do you have experience with Java HTML? What gaming industry experience do you have? Do you have web development experience? Have you worked as an engineer?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (Austin, TX).

Interview

They advertised the position on CraigsList. I applied by submitting my resume. They did not require a cover letter. The next day I received a call asking if I could come in the next day for an interview. I agreed and was sent the confirmation emails as promised. All of the necessary paperwork was sent to my email, and was signed digitally. Not something I was used to, but it was cool. The interview consisted of focus on my previous customer service experience, and technical experience. They very clearly (and accurately) described the role I was applying for, and made a point of telling me that I needed to have very open availability.

Interview Questions

• Which one of our games have you tried?   1 Answer

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

HR took 2+ days to get back in touch with any response I sent them. I was scheduled for a phone interview as the first step in the hiring process. The interviewer called promptly at the scheduled time and we spoke for 30 minutes.

For what I thought would be a technical phone screen it was a bit odd. It was not technical Q&A back and forth. There was very little talk about what I was doing a previous positions and how that might fit in with the role. We seemed to talk about the role itself quite a bit, and none of the duties seemed out of reach to me. The interviewer did ask a couple of very loose scenario questions. Even he himself seemed to think they were dubious though since he prefaced them with "This may not be a fair question to ask".

I was informed within a few hours they would be moving on to other candidates. When I asked if there was any constructive feedback they could provide to me I was told they weren't looking for a helpdesk level person and they needed someone with more sysad experience. I haven't worked helpdesk in 7+ years, but I take it as my responsibility that they somehow got the impression I wasn't up to the task.

Interview Questions

• If I put you in front of a system no one has ever used before and asked you to spin up 100 servers, how long would you tell me it would take?   2 Answers

Senior Director of Worldwide Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Trion Worlds in July 2015.

Interview

Hour long phone call with board member and CEO after several phone call interviews with recruiter - questions about my background as well as what I thought of the company and their products and marketing strategy

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell me about a time when you led a marketing campaign. What were the impacts?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (Redwood Shores, CA).

Interview

Got an onsite interview skipping a phone one some how after my app being turned down initially for another position. The onsite was good speaking to various team members, but none of it really mattered just the panel with the technical questions. I'm not sure why they were keeping me there the whole time knowing that I didn't perform well. And to top it off, they never got back to me after saying that they would.

Interview Questions

• Easy questions looking back, but they didn't really fit the position I was interviewing for.   Answer Question

Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I submitted my information via Gamasutra's job boards. The recruiter contacted me soon after and set up a phoner with the design leads. I don't remember this interview very well but it was fairly informal and pleasant. Was quickly contacted about flying out for an on-site interview. Trion flew me in (San Diego) and set up an all-day meeting schedule (9a-4p) with all key department leads. Everyone I met was very nice and really smart. Many team members had come from SoE, Rock Star and other notable devs in the area. A bunch of really bright and talented people. They gave me a top-down overview of the product and had insightful questions. I was asked to solve some hypothetical design problems on the fly using a whiteboard, which was somewhat stressful but also fun. Likewise, the team took questions from me and had thoughtful answers. I played an early build and was convinced that they knew what they were doing. End of the day was 30 mins with the studio head, who was a little guarded/less candid with me and was probably just trying to make sure I was a personality fit.

The offer came before I left town, which was a nice surprise. Trion was being aggressive (always nice) and eager to get me on board. I ended up declining, largely because I was concerned about being tied to a job that would live or die based on the success of a single product (this was the only project in development at the studio at that time, not sure what the current situation is). There were a few other "cons" that were less important but still influenced my decision: 1) The offices were located in a boring corporate park in a sterile and depressing part of town. Inside there were few windows and the place was as dark as a crypt. No physical amenities within walking distance. Not a good environment, at least for me. 2) I think I met two women total while at Trion: the recruiter and the woman who brought me water when I arrived at the office. Not very progressive. I like working with both men AND women. There were probably other women around, but it seemed like a sausage fest. 3) Work/life balance was unclear. Many of the guys I met had families and claimed to work reasonable hours, but my "spider sense" was tingling and I got the impression that this was a crew used to crunching.

Interview Questions

• Describe a complicated design challenge that you have faced and explain how you solved it.   Answer Question

Localization Editor (French) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (Redwood City, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

First, I had 2 phone screening interviews with 2 different employees; then a translation test to complete (around 4 different translations); then I went onsite and had 4 interviews within 3 hours with 4 producers. I listened more than I talk. I had to briefly introduced myself, my past experiences, my skills. Talking about my interest for video games. One producer asked me how imaginative I was and to describe one of Rift character (I never heard of any of the characters). I really appreciated it.

Interview Questions

• Creative thinking: Talk to me about this game (Rift) character: Female Bahmi with magical tattoos (remains of the Bahmi's elemental heritage). How do you see her? Talk to me about her.
      Why MMORPG?
      What are you currently reading?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Nothing negociable, except the business hours to avoid traffic. They kept their words only for the first weeks. Weekend days worked were paid at the same rate at weekdays. Take it or leave it.

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (San Diego, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

very swift and fast hiring process, the interview was a breeze

Interview Questions

• nothing tricky really, just a simple interview amongst the key people from each team   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (Austin, TX) in April 2010.

Interview

1 phone interview and waiting

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Trion Worlds (Austin, TX) in March 2010.

Interview

Asked questions such as what is your biggest AH Hah moment as a manager