Twilio Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twilio (San Francisco, CA) in May 2019.

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIn about the role and we scheduled a phone screen. She did a great job aligning me with the expectations for the role, and was very accommodating to the questions that I had about specific requirements for the role. I felt as though I was being considered because I had specific skills and experiences as opposed to just another applicant in a pool of recruiter outreach. My recruiter was also very helpful in preparing me for what to expect from each step along the way, and never missed a deadline for followup.
    The first interview was with the hiring manager, which went very well to help me know what to expect from the team and management structure. This was very important to me in the hiring process so it was good to hear this upfront. This was followed by a phone screen the next week.
    Next was an onsite, where I was given a situation and asked to prepare a solution using the Force.com platform. The project was pretty open ended, which made it more challenging, but was a good opportunity to share my knowledge/understanding on the subject. This was followed by a 1:1 with the team's director, and a final check in with the recruiter. Again, she provided clear next steps and I left feeling confident of what to expect.
    The final step was a phone screen with a member of another team. My recruiter ensured I was prepared for this conversation, and we aligned on expectations for timing after this final screen. Throughout she was accommodating of my travel schedule as well, and I felt enabled during scheduling.
    When an offer was extended, I requested until the end of the week to finish my other interviews and weigh my options. Twilio was accommodating to this, and members of the team even offered themselves to provide any clarifying answers to questions I may have. My offer acceptance came after we negotiated a different start date, which Twilio was again accommodating to.

Interview Questions

• What would be some of the drawbacks of building this solution on the Force.com platform?   1 Answer
    • Why would you use a junction object here as opposed to a lookup relationship?   1 Answer

Sep 5, 2019 – Director of Talent Acquisition

We are thrilled to hear that you had a great interview experience, and even happier that you chose to join us. Welcome to Twilio!

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Twilio.

Interview

First an in person white boarding. The coding problem wa very easy and required searching a list and updating the keys in a dictionary.
    Then a behavioral phone interview with a general hiring manager where I discussed my previous experiences.
    Then an interview with the head of a team.

Sales Representative Interview

Interview

I went through a 5-step interview process with a presentation at the end on Twilio's technology stack. I enjoyed meeting everyone at Twilio except for one issue that ruined my experience. I was asked what my w-2 was in 2019. In the state of California, it's illegal to ask someone how much they made. I was on the spot and felt pressured to answer the question, and looking back at it now I shouldn't have answered the question.

Interview Questions

Twilio Response

May 27, 2020 – Senior Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for sharing the feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you were asked that question. When it became illegal in California, we voluntarily adopted the practice across the globe for all of Twilio to safeguard the candidate experience. We will take this feedback to the team and use it as a training tool to make us better.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twilio (San Francisco, CA) in June 2020.

Interview

I applied to an ad on Indeed from one of the ancillary teams outside of what they call "R&D" and was put in contact with the hiring manager pretty quickly. We had a very pleasant chat and I was scheduled for a follow up call with another team member after that.

The second call was a bit awkward and stilted but I felt like we got through it okay and my suspicions were confirmed with a request to set up a "virtual onsite" round shortly thereafter. It was at this point that things started to trend consistently downward.

Right off the bat, my panel for the virtual onsite was 100% male. In a company the size of Twilio, this simply should not ever happen. In a company the size of Twilio that makes a very big public deal about their "diversity" efforts, this is flat out fishy.

The Zoom panel included a second chat with the hiring manager who again was perfectly pleasant and professional. He asked me good questions, listened to my answers and asked follow-up questions that proved he had actually understood my answers in much the way you would expect an adult human being to be able to do. There really shouldn't be anything remarkable about this whatsoever but, unfortunately, he would prove to be the only person I spoke to at Twilio that day who exhibited these miraculous abilities.

Everyone else was profoundly distracted and simply reading things off of a script they clearly had no interest in. Two of the gentlemen I spoke with flat out said they didn't know who I was or what they were supposed to talk to me about the second they signed on to Zoom. They were all staring off at something else as I tried to engage with them, they paid no real attention to anything that I said in response to their questions and one of them literally sat there twirling his heavily waxed mustache like some nefarious cartoon steamboat captain from the 1930s as he just said "Mmmhmmm Mmmmhmmm Mmmmhmmm" over and over again until he saw that I had stopped talking so it must be his turn to blurt out something again. This particular individual was exceptionally arrogant, dodged every question I asked him with stories that had nothing to do with what I had asked him and he made it extremely clear that he harbored a great deal of resentment toward the team and was in business for no one but himself as a member of it. I pushed on to the end as politely as I could but I was pretty checked out after the first 30 seconds of my final round with him.

And therein lies the problem with companies that are much larger than they probably should be. I know there are genuinely great teams inside of Twilio, but whether or not you happen to interview with one of the great ones is going to have a profound impact on your experience interviewing there. I got a real dud. Hopefully you won't.

Interview Questions

• Textbook "STAR" stuff. "Tell me about a time when..." yadda yadda yadda.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twilio (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2020.

Interview

I applied online and got an email from the hiring manager to take an online assessment without any introduction to the interview process or the role. Anyway, I took the assessment and the questions were easy/medium. Solved them all and heard back from a interview co-ordinator saying the next step would be to talk to the engineering manager. The manager I spoke to seemed disinterested from the beginning and it was almost like she wanted to get off the call ASAP. She didn't really explain the role very well and didn't have great answers to the questions I asked. She asked a couple STAR type questions to ask. Nothing technical. Received a rejection email a couple days later saying she had discussed with the "hiring team" and decided not to go forward. Terrible process. Definitely not interviewing here again.

Interview Questions

• Easy leetcode problems for assessment   1 Answer

Recruiting Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twilio in May 2020.

Interview

I really invested a lot of time leading up to my interview process. I reached out to the hiring manager who gave me a referral, I also reached out to current employees and read on the company and culture in my prep. When I got my phone screening, I wasn't even given a chance to interview for the role because the recruiter said that I was essentially overqualified from reading my resume and that I should apply to future roles that had more meat to them. As I reluctantly took the recruiter's advice, when a role did become open, I reached out and they said that the role while open, already had enough candidates so I wasn't going to be considered. I really wanted to work for this company but I feel I got robbed of an opportunity because the recruiter inserted their bias into the process without giving me a fair chance to interview properly for the first opportunity.

Interview Questions

• The first question they asked was what my compensation expectations were.   1 Answer

Principal Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Twilio (New York, NY) in May 2020.

Interview

An internal recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn. Although I was not looking, I love Twilio so I replied. I went all the way to the end of the process including the final presentation and team meetings. All the way through I felt the participants were rooting for my success. Although unfortunately I did not receive an offer, everyone I met was great and I was left with a highly favorable impression of the company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you took a risk   1 Answer

Associate Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twilio (Denver, CO) in May 2020.

Interview

Applied through the website for Associate role. The recruiter called me a few weeks later to tell me about the role and send some homework. After that I heard back about a week later to schedule the manager interviews. Now, during covid everything was over zoom and the recruiter was very informative of what to expect next. The interview is 5 hours as they truly make sure we have the best coworkers! Love the Twilio Magic and be yourself and you'll do great :)

Partnerships Interview

Interview

I had a 30 min phone screen and that went very well. He told me immediately that I would be moving forward to meeting with the hiring manager. I had a 45 min interview with the hiring manager. That also went well. But then, radio silence. I had to chase them down for next steps. SEveral weeks later they told me they had someone else accept their offer.

Interview Questions

• Describe the types of partnership programs you've created   Answer Question

Apr 27, 2020 – Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your time and interest in Twilio. We do apologize that our communication was not timely, and we will take this feedback to our team to help improve our process. Good luck on your job search.

Staff Accountant Interview

Application

I interviewed at Twilio in April 2020.

Interview

HR coordinator reached out and had a basic screening interview. Interviewed with the hiring manager the following week. Didn't hear back after a few days, so I followed up with HR who said they'd get back to me by end of week, and I never heard back. Friend interviewed with them last year and had the same experience. Completely unprofessional and a waste of potential candidates time.

Interview Questions

• General technical accounting questions & questions about experience/background.   Answer Question

May 27, 2020 – Senior Director of Talent Acquisition

We are disappointed to hear that you did not have a good experience with Twilio. We really try to "Wear our Customer's Shoes" and it sounds like we fell short here. I agree that not hearing back is not respectful and I will be sure to bring this feedback to the team. Thank you for taking the time to provide us the feedback to help us improve.

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Twilio (Redwood City, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

I enjoyed talking to the team but the interview process took way too long... 7+ weeks from first recruiter phone screen to final interview. Also did not get good follow up time frames and had to chase down recruiter for updates (e.g. was supposed to get an update on a Monday and that turned into the following week). That's not very nice to candidates and I consider that "shenanigans"

Interview Questions

• Interviews mostly structured as "tell me about a time when you..."   1 Answer

May 27, 2020 – Senior Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the feedback. We know how precious your time is and we are sorry to hear that the recruiters did not get back to you. We will take this feedback to the team to remind them of best practices around communication and general candidate experience. We are always looking to improve our process and this feedback is very helpful.