Twitch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Twitch Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2018

2.8

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitch.

Interview

2 quick phone calls. In general the hiring manager seemed misguided in whom they were targeting. They wanted non-gamers, but ultimately it was a deal breaker that I was a non-gamer. Very confusing. Hope they find the right fit.

Interview Questions

• As a non-gamer what do you like most about Twitch that's beyond what you would read online?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Interview

First there is an online coding assessment. Its not hard at all, the only difference from other interviews is that it asked a frontend question (coding in JS), but I was applying a full stack position so its not completely out of the norm.

Then the onsite interview. There were 5 interviews total. First interview was meeting with the hiring manager. It was hardest to prepare because the recruiter said he could ask anything he wants, behavioral, technical, coding, anything. At the end the hiring manager only ask behavioral questions, but this is where I suspect I didn't get an offer, because I feel I did pretty well for the rest of the day.

Then there were two coding interviews (lunch in between). One was about algorithm, which wasn't hard, anyone knows how to iterate an array and using hashmap should be able to do it. The second is about able to use the Twitch API to get some data and process the results. The coding interviews are not hard at all. They ran out of questions to ask before the interviews end.

Then the next interview was with a senior UX designer. It was mostly talking about my past experience.

The last interview was system design. It was a question about how to design a particular feature of Twitch. The question itself was a pretty typical question of system design. It would help if you know or use Twitch (the product) before.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitch in April 2018.

Interview

The interview process was pretty simple. After applying for the position online, I got a mail from a recruiter to schedule a talk for 20-30 min. After that, the recruiter asked me to give available dates for a phone interview. The phone interview was with the hiring manager of the team. The manager asked a simple coding question, which I was able to solve. Then he went on to tell me about the team, the work they are doing currently and finally thanked me for the time before finishing the interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a simple coding question and was asked some questions with regards to my resume.   Answer Question

Strategic Partner Manager, Program Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Started with a recruiter call, then a 2nd call with the Director of the team, followed by a 3rd call with a current member of the team in the same role. I received very positive feedback and was scheduled for an onsite but they emailed me 2 days beforehand to let me know they had made an offer to someone who was farther ahead in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years? What is your experience handling X,Y,Z, mostly background questions to validate my understanding of their company and the role.   Answer Question

Distributed Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online for the Distributed Systems Engineer position and after one month I received an email from a recruiter asking to set up a time for a phone conversation. The recruiter rescheduled a couple times, but we eventually talked for about 10 minutes about why I wanted to work here and he told me a bit about the company and the teams I was applying for. I then had an hour long phone screen with mostly behavioral questions and also an easy technical question. Afterwards I had an onsite that consisted of 4 one on one interviews with people of varying level that all worked either on or with the team I was interviewing for. I had 2 coding questions (be ready to write code) and 2 system design questions.

Interview Questions

• 2 generic programming questions where I had to write code, 2 systems design where I had to whiteboard out my designs and discuss them   Answer Question

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch in February 2018.

Interview

First a HR interview which was schedule for 30 mins. Once cleared, a technical interview with a fellow Sr TPM for 1 hour. The HR interview was general screening to make sure I fit the job requirements. The technical interview was difficult with situational and straight questions on subject at hand to random questions about interests.

Interview Questions

• What is that one thing you are very interested these days? And given 2 hours a day, what will you do to improve/explore that interest?   Answer Question

AV Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitch (Seattle, WA) in February 2018.

Interview

3 phone screens followed by a interview loop via video conferencing with leadership in San Francisco. Started with recruiter, followed by the hiring manager at which time a formal interview loop was scheduled via video conference with Hiring Manager, position Manager, IT Manager and Office Manager. Each interview on the loop was about 45min long in length.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had two important projects to be done at the same time. How did you determine which one to address first and why.   Answer Question

Senior Frontend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I have never been annoyed by an interview before... until Twitch.

They sent along a take-home challenge using Gulp and Redux Thunk that fetched a list of image icons with 10px border radiuses.

I did the challenge along with two 'bonus' sections on it. While I was doing this, I was a little worried that my take-home would be evaluated on technicals by someone who likes Gulp and Redux Thunk. I was also a little worried that my visuals would be evaluated by someone who thinks 10px border radiuses are beautiful.

...it seems my fears were founded. I have never lost a take-home challenge before - but Twitch got back to me with "we are moving on with other candidates" and no explanation (apparently that is Amazon policy).

My guess for candidates who want pass this is that you should forget about the time-to-spend suggestion entirely. Take an entire weekend doing the challenge. Make great visuals and refactor it until it is beautiful. They are not judging on assignment+bonus completion and they will compare your assignment against submissions from people who took a long time.

Interview Questions

• In two hours build a take-home challenge that fetches a list of items from the server, displays them on a page, and allows the user to click into an item-detail page. Bonuses: write tests, write an items-refresh loop, write a list filter, provide details on visual choices   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

- Applied online for a generic Software Engineering position.
    - Had a recruiter call a week later to talk about Twitch, my background, what I was looking for.
    - Twitch sent me an online exam to complete. I had about 3 hours to do it which included 3 coding questions.
    - A couple weeks later they invited me for an on-site.
    - On-site had
      - 3 technical interviews: mostly whiteboard coding and system design and another done with a computer (you were free to pick whatever medium you liked).
      - Lunch with someone talking about culture, roles, working at Twitch, my background, etc...
      - Final interview with the hiring manager going through all your background, experiences, challenges, etc...

Interview Questions

• Mostly just some data structure/algorithm questions. Pretty simple stuff.   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I hope working at Twitch is more organized and respectful of their employees than what I endured with their recruiters. This part of the process couldn't be any more unprofessional. They don't do what they say, they were late to calls and on the day of my onsite meeting, unorganized and I honestly thought one must have been intoxicated or just woke up when I spoke with him.

Their onsite interviews were on par. I did a group portfolio presentation followed by one-on-one meetings with each of the people who were in our group meeting. The entire day was about five hours. In expected form, each 1:1 focused on a different skill set. The people I interviewed with seemed competent and I really enjoyed talking with a few but it was clear things at Twitch were a bit scattered. Some of the behavior questions literally opened up dealing with internal chaos.

Ultimately for me it came down to a few of the final flops by the recruiting team that were redflags for this position. I couldn't convince myself that this behavior stopped with that team. It's unfortunate, I am a fan of the product and looked forward to this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would execute a design that had conflicting requirements from two different people.   1 Answer