Twitch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online and set up a phone screen with their recruiter. After that talked to a hiring/engineering manager. Both interviews went well but I guess not perfectly, I didn't move through to the onsite interview. Communication with the recruiter was prompt until I asked for feedback after the last interview and never heard anything back. Not unexpected or unusual, but disappointing.

Interview Questions

• General experience questions, data structues/algorithms. Just leetcode-type stuff.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitch in July 2017.

Interview

1st phone screen:

Recruiter didn't call at the scheduled time, only emailed me back one full week later to reschedule. The rescheduled phone screen went fine.

2nd phone screen:

First, the designer who interviewed me didn't seem to know any basic information about me, not even the fact that I'm relocating. When I asked, she told me she didn't get any notes from the recruiter, which seemed pretty odd to me.

Second, she doesn't seem to have experience interviewing applicants. I have 6+ years of experience, yet I was not asked to talk about my portfolio at all. I was asked really generic questions you would ask new graduates:

"This is not your undergrad major, what made you switch?" (I graduated more than 6 years ago)
    "What if someone doesn't like your design?"
    "What makes you stand out as a candidate?"
    "What's your favorite app and why?"

What makes it even worse is that to most my answers, her only response was "Okay."

I asked about the company and the design team but didn't learn anything useful. After the call, it was clear it wasn't a good fit and I got the rejection email promptly.

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied for the position online, and within 48 hours received a response asking for a phone interview. When the date and time rolled around, the recruiter never called. I sent three follow up emails over three weeks, each was met with no response. I'm not sure what happened, but the experience was disappointing to say the least.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter never got back to me after asking for interview times.   Answer Question

Twitch Response

May 30, 2017

Sincerely apologize for the process. This is absolutely unacceptable and will be looked into. If you want to email me directly, I can look into what happened. - Arthur Yamamoto - Director of... More

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a Twitch recruiter for a position that I felt was too advanced for me. In spite of my protests I was interviewed and tested for this position. While I passed the first phone screening I was unable to complete the first programming test.
    I did not have a bad experience, but I feel that I may have excelled if the position I applied for was more attuned to my skill set. I found that job opportunity on their website but felt following the recruiters path would be more beneficial. Clearly, that was the wrong decision.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Twitch (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

I recently interviewed with Twitch, an Amazon subsidiary. With about 10 years experience and an L6 loop, I was excited. I crushed the interview, technically, but received a no-offer.

Fast forward a day, the recruiter reaches out and says the manager and director would like to have drinks/dinner. We met, and had a great time. It turns out their concern was behavioral and I assuaged those concerns over dinner. A very strong L6 offer comes my way. We agree to terms. I made a separate thread here about this fiasco.

Fast forward a day, the recruiter reaches out, saying how embarrassing this is, but they'd like me to do a technical phone screen. Their explanation was that no L6 SDE interviewed me, so the official committee couldn't let the hire through. Despite the manager and director fighting for it. I accept this oddity and oblige to do the phone screen.

I take the tech screen, which was said to be algorithm focused and explicitly not design focused, according to the recruiter (pre-interview) and interviewer (I asked during). I kill it and await my official offer.

Tick tock... I hear nothing, I finally ask what's up... They state because I did not show indicators of L6 level design skills in the phone screen that they cannot make an offer. This was the exact thing they explicitly stated was not being evaluated both before and during the screen!

In the end, I met them 3 separate times, had a no-offer, followed by a very strong L6 offer, followed by a no-offer, but could have an L5 offer extended; which I hard declined.

What a calamity. If you were on this loop and read this, I hope you sincerely look at your process and improve it. You missed a great, excited, candidate because you kept "moving the goal posts" and misrepresenting what you really wanted. To anyone hoping to interview with Twitch, beware the ride of insanity coming your way.

Interview Questions

• Leverage the Twitch API to show mutual followers and following. Must implement in Javascript and show the code running.

Note: Only given access to the Twitch API documentation.   1 Answer
    • Paired programming - Reduce the cyclomatic complexity of existing Go code used in production.   1 Answer
    • Print a binary tree row-by-row, printing left-to-right for even numbered rows and right-to-left for odd numbered rows.   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiting phone screen, hiring manager phone screen, all day on-site. Everything was straight forward. For the all day on-site you are invited to lunch. All of the interviews are very transparent and nothing is there to stump you.

Interview Questions

• Lots of concept questions. Nothing too difficult.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Twitch in May 2017.

Interview

It was a phone interview. I was emailed on May 3rd for an interview mid May, then it was pushed back to the last week of May. During the phone interview, I was not asked anything about my background, about myself. It was a 20 question game about how much I knew about Twitch. Personally- asking 20 questions is not the correct way of getting to know if a person is right for your company.

Interview Questions

• What is Twitch? What is an Admin? What is social engineering? Name three things Twitch has come out with in the last year?   2 Answers

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitch (Irvine, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

After the phone screening, there was a 1 hour in-person coffee meeting with 2 members from the team that this position would be joining. Following the successful in-person meeting, there was a 4+ hour panel with members from various teams, including more from the team I'd be joining.

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Typical silicon valley interview, starting with phone screen, meeting HR on-site, touring the facilities and then followed by meeting engineers and management on-site and compensation discussion with HR. I haven't interviewed for a while, so I found the feedback mechanism from their hiring process (via email) a Good Thing

Interview Questions

• They tend to ask practical questions that they're working on at the moment, so sometimes it is not typical silicon valley coding question.   1 Answer

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I recently flunked the phone screening process for a Mobile Software Engineer position at Twitch and thought it would be good to recap the experience for the next developer who comes down the interview chute.

When I was much younger, I loved watching other kids playing video games and getting to levels and places in those games I myself could never waste (or invest) the time to get skilled enough to get into. So when I noticed Twitch had an opening I sent my resume in thinking I’d have a decent shot at going far in the interview process and possibly even landing a role with a dream company.

My CV was quickly responded to by a Twitch recruiter who explained the process and made sure I wasn’t in-flight in terms of interviewing with any other department/company at Amazon (I’m honestly not sure how integrated Twitch is with the rest of the Amazon conglomerate’s recruiting & corporate bureaucracy). He then passed me along to a recruiting coordinator and I was set up with two phone interviews over the course of about a week (i.e. the whole process didn’t take long at all). The engineering interview process sounded like the standard Silicon Valley phone interviews (with them watching via Coderpad) + an onsite day full of algorithm & data structures horribleness.

The coding questions are recapped below. I didn’t think the questions were out of line or Google-level tricky, and I also went to sleep the night after these conversations believing I had performed well on all of them. In retrospect, I figure the reasons I got bumped out of the process this early (I usually easily get through phone screens) is either due to an unexpected culture fit problem that I didn't detect or — more likely — the second interviewer, a director, was looking for 100% perfection and didn’t like that I wasn’t able to track down a bug I left in the last coding question.

It’s actually good that I got bounced out of the process though. It helps to keep my feet on the ground and my otherwise healthy ego well in check. It’s a pity that this happened to be a job I really wanted, though. Hopefully my experience failing with Twitch will help you to pass your first few hoops when you deal with the phone interviews. If you find the information I passed along helpful, please let me know by voting “yes” on the “Helpful?” button below. This helps to motivate me to be as detailed as possible. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Give these two API’s, plus an enum and struct:

enum Alignment {
        Left,
        Right,
        Center

class Size {
        int width;
        int height;
      }

// returns the dimensions for a character
      Size getCharSize(char c);

// Draws a character at the specified location, with
      // (0,0) being the top left. This method does NOT
      // understand the newline character. Once rendered,
      // there is no way to delete a character.
      void drawCharAt(char c, int x, int y);

Show how you would implement code for this function:

void renderText(String text, int screenWidth, Alignment alignment);   1 Answer
    • Do a Google Image Search for an “H tree” (Glassdoor doesn’t allow links to be embedded in these recaps). The first image you’ll find (if it’s red H lines on a white background) will be what I was shown.

Given the following bare bones API, how would you code up something to draw X levels deep of an H tree?

#import <stdio.h>

} Point

void drawLine(Point p1, Point p2) {
          // draws line
      }

void drawHTree(Point center, float length, int depth) {

}   1 Answer
    • Given this single API and an unlimited (space) input buffer, show how you would replace space characters with URL-encoded “%20”.

void replaceSpaces(char *buffer);

That is: “Hello World Twitch” would become “Hello%20World%20Twitch”   2 Answers

Twitch Response

Apr 24, 2017

Thanks for the feedback. Good luck with your job hunt and hope you decide to apply again down the road.

thanks,