Twitch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 18, 2018

2.9

Distributed Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied online for the Distributed Systems Engineer position and after one month I received an email from a recruiter asking to set up a time for a phone conversation. The recruiter rescheduled a couple times, but we eventually talked for about 10 minutes about why I wanted to work here and he told me a bit about the company and the teams I was applying for. I then had an hour long phone screen with mostly behavioral questions and also an easy technical question. Afterwards I had an onsite that consisted of 4 one on one interviews with people of varying level that all worked either on or with the team I was interviewing for. I had 2 coding questions (be ready to write code) and 2 system design questions.

Interview Questions

• 2 generic programming questions where I had to write code, 2 systems design where I had to whiteboard out my designs and discuss them   Answer Question

Senior Frontend Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

I have never been annoyed by an interview before... until Twitch.

They sent along a take-home challenge using Gulp and Redux Thunk that fetched a list of image icons with 10px border radiuses.

I did the challenge along with two 'bonus' sections on it. While I was doing this, I was a little worried that my take-home would be evaluated on technicals by someone who likes Gulp and Redux Thunk. I was also a little worried that my visuals would be evaluated by someone who thinks 10px border radiuses are beautiful.

...it seems my fears were founded. I have never lost a take-home challenge before - but Twitch got back to me with "we are moving on with other candidates" and no explanation (apparently that is Amazon policy).

My guess for candidates who want pass this is that you should forget about the time-to-spend suggestion entirely. Take an entire weekend doing the challenge. Make great visuals and refactor it until it is beautiful. They are not judging on assignment+bonus completion and they will compare your assignment against submissions from people who took a long time.

Interview Questions

• In two hours build a take-home challenge that fetches a list of items from the server, displays them on a page, and allows the user to click into an item-detail page. Bonuses: write tests, write an items-refresh loop, write a list filter, provide details on visual choices   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in December 2017.

Interview

- Applied online for a generic Software Engineering position.
    - Had a recruiter call a week later to talk about Twitch, my background, what I was looking for.
    - Twitch sent me an online exam to complete. I had about 3 hours to do it which included 3 coding questions.
    - A couple weeks later they invited me for an on-site.
    - On-site had
      - 3 technical interviews: mostly whiteboard coding and system design and another done with a computer (you were free to pick whatever medium you liked).
      - Lunch with someone talking about culture, roles, working at Twitch, my background, etc...
      - Final interview with the hiring manager going through all your background, experiences, challenges, etc...

Interview Questions

• Mostly just some data structure/algorithm questions. Pretty simple stuff.   Answer Question

Visual Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I hope working at Twitch is more organized and respectful of their employees than what I endured with their recruiters. This part of the process couldn't be any more unprofessional. They don't do what they say, they were late to calls and on the day of my onsite meeting, unorganized and I honestly thought one must have been intoxicated or just woke up when I spoke with him.

Their onsite interviews were on par. I did a group portfolio presentation followed by one-on-one meetings with each of the people who were in our group meeting. The entire day was about five hours. In expected form, each 1:1 focused on a different skill set. The people I interviewed with seemed competent and I really enjoyed talking with a few but it was clear things at Twitch were a bit scattered. Some of the behavior questions literally opened up dealing with internal chaos.

Ultimately for me it came down to a few of the final flops by the recruiting team that were redflags for this position. I couldn't convince myself that this behavior stopped with that team. It's unfortunate, I am a fan of the product and looked forward to this opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how you would execute a design that had conflicting requirements from two different people.   1 Answer

Data Science Manager Interview

Interview

Bait and Switch. Not sure this position ever existed. Had two video interviews. In the second they are trying to "sell" me on a senior data scientist position. I said I was uninterested. Apparently that was not enough. They continued to contact me. In total, I had to tell them three times I was not interested in a position I didn't even apply for. The management came off as unethical and immature. Think Uber.

Interview Questions

• Do you know the role? Of course not, I didn't apply for this position.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (Irvine, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I had reached out to one of the recruiters on LinkedIn about a posting I saw on their site, and was able to get the process started pretty quickly. There was an initial phone screen with the potential team manager, then I was brought in for an all day on-site that had a mix of technical knowledge questions and white board coding challenges. The manager and recruiter(s) were very good at communication and setting everything up. I would definitely recommend the Orange County office.

Interview Questions

• Some standard CS fundamentals questions with a couple language specific design ones thrown in.   Answer Question

Technical Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitch.

Interview

Steps were as follows:
    - Applied for a job posting I saw on LinkedIn
    - Got an email from a recruiter expressing interest in my background
    - Had a quick phone chat with the recruiter and proceeded to setup a phone screen with another TPM
    - Phone screen with TPM
    - Onsite interview
    - Rejection email arrived a few days after my onsite

All in all, a positive and pretty chill experience. I'm shocked by how many at Twitch don't use the product.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral interview questions (Favorite project? Most successful project? Time you encountered XYZ and how you dealt with it?)   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

After the first contact with the recruiter, I got scheduled for a technical interview. The interview is done using an online interviewing tool. You can type (and run) your code in the editor. The interviewer was really helpful and gave useful advice.

Interview Questions

• The canonical DP coin change problem.

Given a value N, if we want to make change for N cents, and we have an infinite supply of each of S = { S1, S2, ..., Sm} valued coins, how many ways can we make the change? The order of coins doesn’t matter.

For example, for N = 4 and S = {1,2,3}, there are four solutions: {1,1,1,1},{1,1,2},{2,2},{1,3}. So output should be 4. For N = 10 and S = {2, 5, 3, 6}, there are five solutions: {2,2,2,2,2}, {2,2,3,3}, {2,2,6}, {2,3,5} and {5,5}. So the output should be 5.   2 Answers

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

My interview process was pretty standard. Basic HR phone screen (~20 mins), Hiring manager phone screen (~45 mins) and then a Director equivalent Phone screen (~40 mins).

The hiring manager was friendly and easy to talk to, as was his manager. I didn't go further than the 3rd round (inability to effectively communicate my ideas / 'nerves') but my interactions were cordial and respectful. The team was willing to give me very detailed responses to my questions and I felt that I walked away from the conversation learning more than I knew when it began.

Now the problem with this whole process for me lay in HR. The interview process began by me contacting a Senior Twitch recruiter who promptly responded to me asking for some availability. I responded immediately to the email but didn't hear back for another week, okay not a problem.

We set up time for the HR call the following week, when the time for the call came the recruiter was 10 mins late. Once again, that's fine since unexpected things happen.

But HR wasn’t done yet. When the time came to 'pass' on my candidacy the recruiter didn’t respond to my follow up email and instead decided to send a generic automated response informing me that they will not be moving forward.

The reason I'm disappointed in this process is because I talked to 3 people over the phone at this company (+ 2 HR coordinators via email) and all I got at the end was a No, Thanks email. I completely understand that I didn't fit the requirements of the role but please have the decency to take 5 minutes of your day out to respond in a manner that is worthy of a candidate's time.
    Its possible that I (or any other candidate) will have the skills required at Twitch down the line so please try to be respectful of the candidate’s experience. I would think that a Senior recruiter would already be aware of this. Some say things have changed since Amazon bought Twitch, perhaps this impersonal policy is one of them …

Interview Questions

• Lot of questions regarding the Twitch business model (Subscriptions, Bits, Ad Revenues)   1 Answer

Applications Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Overall a good interview experience and I would definitely recommend Twitch to a friend, especially the security team. Interview process consisted of a phone screen as well as a 3/4 day of on-site interviews. Interview process had good breadth in terms of different team members you talk w/ ranging from ICs from various security teams up to the director. They also provided lunch which was nice considering the interviews went from 10-4. If you have a background in appsec you should do fine, questions were challenging in some cases but fair (check out some of the SWE position interview questions on glassdoor). Interview process was slow, and somewhat lacked communication from the Twitch side because I didn't feel like I knew where I was at in the process. Really liked all the security team members that I talked to and I think they are building a top notch team. Very strong offer.

Interview Questions

• OWASP Top 10. Explanations, identification, remediation, etc.   Answer Question