Twitch Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 4, 2018

2.9

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitch.

Interview

It begins with a phone screen with a recruiter so they can figure out where to send you for the technical interview. They had trouble placing me because of my breadth of experience and interest in functional programming languages, which they did not use. This part of the interview went well and I learned a lot about the company from the recruiter. A technical interview was set up very quickly.

The technical interview did not go as well. It began with a conversation about my background and why I was interested in the company. Then I was asked to solve a programming problem. The interviewer did not explain the problem clearly and I was left confused for at least 15 minutes until he realized his mistake and attempted to re-explain it -- which did not help. He did not attempt to help me understand; instead, he sat silently, occasionally making condescending remarks. By the end of the interview, I had no idea what problem he had asked me to solve, despite my consistent and thorough attempts to clarify the problem.

How could a software engineer with such poor communication skills ever be hired by this company? He was rude and unhelpful. This is not someone I would want to work with had I been extended an offer by the company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Sent in a resume to their job portal and heard back four days later from a recruiter who assigned me a coding challenge -- program a spellchecker in any language of your choice and submit it within 24-36 hours. Submitted that and was then invited for a Skype phone screen with an engineering manager.

Interestingly, my interviewer said he had not seen the coding challenge I submitted (in Python) and started the interview with several qualitative JavaScript questions. With my main interest on the back end and having not developed on front end for a month, fumbled a bit. After that, one live coding question over Stypi, which I completed in Python, standard difficulty level. Interview ended with him answering my questions about Twitch, where I focused on the streaming process. He answered my questions on a high level, then revealed that I was being considered for a role different than what I had submitted my resume to (Tools Engineer vs Software Engineer). The entire call lasted about 40 minutes.

The next day I received an email stating they would not move forward with my application. I wish Twitch had communicated before the Skype call that I was being considered for a role different from what I had applied for, but oh well. Other than that, correspondence with Twitch recruiters were prompt and professional, which I appreciate.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between JavaScript and Python?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Submitted my resume via email. I heard back from them with a coding problem to solve. Submitted a solution to to that. They got back to me the same day and scheduled a phone interview right away. The phone interview was completely coding and technical and lasted about 45 min. After a couple of days they had a positive feedback about the phone screen and invited me onsite for more interviews the next week. They set me up in a nice hotel in downtown SF.
    I had 4 1:1 interviews. All are coding interviews. The first interviewer gave my a tour of the company. After a couple of interviews I met the team I was interviewed for over the lunch. Each interview was more difficult than the previous. At the end, I had a chat with the manager.
    I received an email from the HR the very next day to schedule a call to convey the interview result.

Interview Questions

• All the coding problems had multiple ways to the solution.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a couple other offers which helped a bit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

I was first called by the recruiter to do some prelim screening. We had a nice chat and then they gave me two tests to pick from. One was a spell checker and the other was infix to prefix. I completed the spell checker and submitted it. The recruiter said an engineer would review the submission.

Got a response in a few days that said they were not moving on with my application. I asked for feedback about my submission but they said they had a rule to not give feedback because it was not practical.

They must be looking for something very specific when completing the spellchecker as I made sure to be as thorough as possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, NM

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, NM) in April 2015.

Interview

HR sent email to schedule an interview, it took around a week to schedule a phone interview which had a link to collabedit. The worst experience starts here, the interview calls and asks me what I do, I explain to him. He figures out that it doesn't matches to the requirement of the job and says I don't know if I should move forward or not. He mentions that he received the resume 5 mins back and therefore did n't get a chance to understand whether I am fit for this role. He asks me if I want to go ahead with the interview and I did n't say anything. He decides to move forward, I think he thought it is his moral obligation to conduct interview since it was scheduled. The interview occurs for 45 min with simple programming question, logical reasoning question . I answer all the questions correctly as they were simple and required average understanding. In the the whole process the interviewer appeared to be not interested as he had already made his mind that I am not fit for this role and the interview was just happening because it was scheduled. I guess all this could have been managed in a more respectful way.

Interview Questions

• Write sorting alogorithm ?
      Create a data model
      Write Search alogorithm?   1 Answer

Twitch Response

Jun 11, 2015 – Technical Recruiter

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your negative interview experience with our team. It's atypical for a process to move in that manner, and we'll make sure to use this feedback to make our process... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

A call with the recruiter, then two technical phone screens, then a standard full day onsite interview. The phone screen questions were significantly easy--just applications of basic algorithms you'd find in an intro CS class. The onsite questions weren't much more difficult. They're all stuff you'd be expected to be able to solve if you were working at a name-brand tech company. Scheduling wasn't great at the time, but if you checked the tech news you'd know why.

They didn't let me know what the schedule for the day was, so I didn't learn that I was talking to a hiring manager until the middle of the last interview. After consulting with friends, I've learned I wasn't the only one tripped up by this.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch in December 2014.

Interview

I had two technical interviews by phone, and then four technical + 2 HR-ish (1:1) interviews onsite. During the onsite interview I was able to talk and eat lunch with various Twitch employees, who were very nice and interesting. For the 1:1 interviews it's usually about 15 minutes of talking about personal background, followed by up to 3 coding questions. Same for the phone interviews.

Interview Questions

• Adaptation of the Pokemon ice cave scenario (so obtaining the fastest path from A to B on the map)   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online. Got a response after about half a week. The recruiter missed the first interview (no email/call) by nearly two hours. Spoke with the recruiter who said he wasn't sure which team he should pair me up with, then decided on the payment processing team. He said he would set me up with an interview shortly.

Unfortunately, I never received a response after that. I guess they just lost my resume? The entire process turned me off from working at Twitch.

Interview Questions

• I didn't get asked anything technical by the recruiter.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. I was contacted and setup an initial phone screen. After that I was told I would be contacted that day or the next to schedule a technical interview. I heard nothing for 3 weeks and they wouldn't respond to emails. I was finally contacted by a new person to setup the tech interview. Even though I had initially applied for web-based engineering roles, they seemed confused that I had so much web development experience and asked me mostly unrelated questions to the roles I had applied for. I was then contacted by another person telling me that they would not be continuing the process.

Interview Questions

• Questions about general search algorithms. How does unix process shell commands.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Twitch (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

One phone screen, was then flown in for an onsite interview. Onsite consisted of 5 or 6 1:1 interviews. Interviewers seemed uninterested in the process, asked the same questions, and one was even Playing on his phone during the process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you disagreed with direction you were given and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Twitch Response

Mar 10, 2016

I'm sorry about your experience. As you can imagine, when a company is growing as fast as Twitch is, interview fatigue can happen. I'm not excusing the behavior, as every interview and candidate... More