Two Sigma Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Two Sigma Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.3

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

I applied at the end of June and got an email back for a phone screen beginning of July.
    I was very excited. Come to the day of the phone screen. The call lasted no more than 5 min. It was basically asking about my background (which clearly state on my resume) and no other relevant question. He said that he was going to pass the resume to the hiring manager and see when they could schedule an in person interview. Haven't heard from them...I decided to reach out and He said.. unfortunately we passed on your resume. The short experience was very Odd and weird to me. There was no point for this call as he did not ask any relevant questions. I felt rushed on the phone and felt like he didn't care what I was saying.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

An external recruiter contacted me about a position. A few weeks later I received an email from internal two sigma recruiter. S/he sent a hacker rank test without even a phone call.

There was two questions, one of them is moderately hard, the other one was difficult. The test was 3 hours. I completed it in 2 hours 30 minutes. There were total 30 unit tests for two questions, 28 of them were passing. I sent an email to two sigma recruiter to tell that I have completed the test. No response is received.

More than 2 months passed. I did not hear back from anyone.

Advice to Two Sigma people: please do not waste people's time. I spent my Sunday evening for your boring test.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Really disappointing experience. I interviewed due to successful completion of one of their coding competitions, yet I didn't get past the technical interview. Seemed really strange that I was required to take their simple coding challenge even though I performed well in the competition. I felt I did a good job in the interview, in any case, yet was dropped. I got the feeling they were interviewing because they promised interviews to winners of the competition, but didn't really want to put in the effort to follow through on that promise. Felt like a bait and switch and a waste of everyone's time. Rather tarnished my opinion of the company.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter, the first round phone interview witnesses hr make sure I'm not insane. Then second phone interview with a quant, then 3rd phone with developers. Then onsite. Make sure you can write C++!! Make sure you code has no bug to "meet their needs".

Interview Questions

• Sample from unit disc using one random variable.
      Solve Gaussian quantile by newtons method
      Remove minimum number of paranthesis to make expression valid ([{
      Uniformly sample the superset of a set of integers (solved by uniform sampling then sort), the input is a vector and the output is vector of vectors
      Find the number of integer solutions to a linear inequality equation ( recursion)
      Given two sorted vectors, find a threshold, if greater categorize to A otherwise to B. Find minimum classification errors (use binary search. Actually use a binary search on top of a binary search is even better)
      Merge sort, but each merge are k to 1 instead of 2 to 1, heap)
      Three people play a game, 2 color hats, can only see other people's black or white hat. If at least one wins and nobody loses, win. what's your strategy. (75%, for more general case, look at hamming code)
      If anual sharpe 8 but loses money, how many days needed to tell statistical significance.
      How do you tell if a stock delta price series is reverted in time ( volatility increase sharply and decrease slowly)
      How to do weighted linear regression (just weight the terms in summation...)   1 Answer

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Two Sigma (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online, waited for about 3 months, and then got an interview invitation. After that, the process goes quickly. First, a call from hr, basically to know about my background and what I want to do, also to tell me some information about the job and interview processes. Then a 3 hours online code test, containing two medium level problems(like friend circle). After I passed it, I got a technical phone interview, asking questions related to my resume and c++. At last, the onsite. I didn't pass the technical phone interview, was rejected one week later, and didn't get the chance to the onsite.

Interview Questions

• What is a virtual function and how it works?   Answer Question
    • What is a template? Can you separate the interface and the implementation parts, why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

I received a link to a coding challenge that was fairly easy. 3 hours were given which was more than enough time. The interviewer seemed very friendly and knowledgeable. It did seem from the experience that they were not looking to hire a standard new grad software engineer but rather someone with a focused skillset in machine learning.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between process and thread?   1 Answer
    • What are examples of IPC?   Answer Question
    • How would you find if a number if a power of 4?   1 Answer

Recruiting Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Two Sigma in April 2017.

Interview

I got a phone screening right after I applied online. I prepared carefully but the representative wouldn't let me finish my sentences and couldn't wait to ask the next question. They asked quite common questions but just didn't listen to my answers. Sounds like they got to finish this quickly and rushing to something else. I got a rejection the same day.
    The person also wasn't professional in email communications. Bad experience. I could feel the poor management at least in this department.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Two Sigma in February 2017.

Interview

I was given a programming question on Hacker Rank. I completed both questions (passed all the test cases) with an hour to spare. I also made sure to include a lot of comments to explain my code. A day later I received an email saying that I was rejected. I feel really disrespected as a candidate because if I spent 2 hours of my Saturday night and solved both problems, I deserve at least a phone interview before being rejected. If I was already going to be rejected due to something on my resume, why even bother giving me a coding challenge?

Human Resources Generalist Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

Horrific and illegal! Who tells you that the school you went to is not good enough and asks for your GPA when you are 51 years old?? Are you kidding me?? I've never been so insulted in my life and told everyone I know. They think they are being "quirky"- no, they are being ridiculous and not looking at career, certifications, life experience. Just, are you Ivy? Seriously?!?! I've had a great career and wouldn't want to work at such a snobby clubbish company.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What is your GPA?   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Two Sigma.

Interview

Hackerrank challenge followed by phone screen. Answered each and every questions which the interviewer asked. Asked to find median of a data stream. Difference between process and threads,
    Internal implementation of hashtable. Singleton and factory pattern. Asked about previous internships. Answered everything perfectly, got a reject mail on the next day.
    Had high hopes from this interview.

Interview Questions

• Process , threads. Design patterns, singleton , factory, hashtable implementation, priority queue implementation.   Answer Question