Two Sigma Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.4
David Siegel and John Overdeck

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work/life balance - Management doesn't want people to burn out and actively looks out for your working conditions (in 10 reviews)

• working with smart people; a hardcore data science company (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Moving through the growing pains of a medium-sized company (in 6 reviews)

• Borderline insane interview process (in 3 reviews)

1. "Treats employees well; relaxed tech-focused environment"

Current Employee - Data Scientist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Scientist in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Research and technology drives everything here. At times it feels more like a research firm instead of the super successful hedge fund and trading company that they built themselves into. They treat their employees well, and the environment is relaxed. Casual dress, flexible hours, on site gym and showers, tons of snacks, great parties.

Probably the best thing is the depth of talent here. They really recruit the best of the best.

Technology is solid in the infrastructure, trading, and development groups, and management is committed to investing in tech.

They are very conservative when it comes to compliance. They are super focused on not taking risks when it comes to legal responsibilities.

Cons

They are becoming larger and more beaurecratic. They have been around for 16 years and are expanding into new businesses, and with that success they have loss some of the startup vibes they once had.

Although they are committed to tech investment, they are now 16 years old and this area of tech is changing rapidly. Constantly upgrading systems brings its own challenges. There is often a blend of old and cutting edge, and sometimes you are on your own if you want to use the cutting edge stuff.

They are also heavily regulated, and this weighs alot on how fast they are able to move.

Advice to Management

Continue treating employees well. Try not to become too big so you lose your character.

2. "Good choice if you don't mind DIY on a lot of things"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

While they are really in the financial world, the technical level is really good.
    There are lots of in-house engineering solutions and combination of open-source products with specific configuration/upgrades.
    Engineers are encouraged to take responsibilities on whatever projects that matter. Some people do enjoy that feeling of making great impact or building something from ground.

Cons

A portion of those projects apparently became "abandoned" after the team/person backing it left. Now you are left with two choices:
    1) read someone else code (remember that person could be not working in the company anymore) and fix it
    2) rewrite the whole thing on your own.
    Lots of engineers here are so smart that they often chose the second solution and managed to success on that (short-term), which to some extend make the problem for the entire software ecosystem worse (less standardized, worse compatibility with each other and less reliability of services).

Advice to Management

I believe that it has already been noticed: if there's any plan that the analysis tools/ platform should grow bigger, the most critical thing is get engineers ready to focus on some scalable solutions. The software made by "someone happens to need something and builds it on his/her own" could never scale to become large-scale manageable and reliable data analysis pipeline at all.

3. "Hard Working"

I worked at Two Sigma full-time

Pros

* Pays decently
    * lots of opportunity to grow

Cons

* making decisive hires is difficult
    * a lot of bureaucracy, without consistent feedback

Advice to Management

Train manager to give effective feedback more consistently

4. "Entrepreneurial Place with an almost limitless ceiling"

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meaningful creative challenges in the work; great people who are nearly always respectful, apolitical, and collegial; high ambitions around the organization for new lines of business mean there are many opportunities to explore new things.

Cons

Different parts of the organization can sometimes feel isolated from each other; a heavy focus on iteration and optionality in the work culture can sometimes lead to indecision and the sacrifice of deeper solutions for those that can be iterated on quickly.

Advice to Management

Management sometimes seems blind to the need for new types of roles and skill sets as the firm scales and broadens its business activities.

5. "Opportunities and challenges abound"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growth and change at the company create chances for individuals to move up and over to new roles. The in-office perks are nice, though free food and drinks seem to be ubiquitous these days. There are great people - kind, dedicated, intelligent - in roles and teams across the company.

Cons

Astronomical growth creates all kinds of organizational challenges that, if the managers aren't up to the task, can leave teams constantly switching directions and re-prioritizing short-term goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire the right people and ensure managers generally align their leadership approach in a way that matches the goals and perspective of the company. Utilize performance reviews as a fair, objective tool, as the year-end analysis in the recent past is too subjective and reliant upon the opinions of peers and the direct manager.

"Not what it used to be"

I worked at Two Sigma full-time

Pros

Laid back, lots of perks

Cons

Too big, too fast. Lost sight of what was important and retained the talent.

Advice to Management

Focus on the people. That seems to have gone away with the growth

7. "Love working here"

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time

Pros

Culture, growth, opportunities to create your own role

Cons

Growing pains were overstated in reviews that I saw on here.

8. "Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Great work environment. Amazing people.

Cons

A lot of changes and re-structuring of teams, but that's not necessarily a con.

"Glad I ended up here!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Two Sigma full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance - Management doesn't want people to burn out and actively looks out for your working conditions. My manager will regularly tell me to go home when I work past 6:30 and gives me mornings off when I work late fixing a high priority support issue.

People/Culture - The people are great! Everyone I've worked with here has been highly competent and easy to work with. There's a huge culture of learning and exploration here. Tons of tech talks and study groups with food catered in year-round. There's also non work-related groups and competitions for just about everything like Poker, Bridge, Magic The Gathering, Basketball, Running etc..

Work - The work itself has been quite fulfilling. I can't speak for how it is on every team, but I've worked on backend, frontend, infrastructure, networking, devops, and mobile for my team. My manager does an excellent job at matching me with projects that I'm currently interested in working on. There's a constant stream of exciting and technically challenging new ideas and features.

Career Growth - Two Sigma wants to keep people for the long haul and it's super easy to move around the company. There's a big emphasis on setting work related goals for yourself to help you grow and revisiting them a few times a year to see where you're at.

Cons

There's still some red-tape around getting environmental changes approved. However, over the last year there has been a ton of progress on speeding things up and being more flexible on security concerns as more teams explore different environmental setups.

Some of the legacy internal infrastructure is starting to show its age. There's a lot of work being done to modernize it and embrace more open source solutions, but there's still a ways to go. However, teams who are working in the cloud don't really have to worry about this.

"Business Analyst"

Pros

Work with some of the smartest individuals and there are opportunities to participate in a host of other activities/interests from music to 3D printing.

Cons

During the time I worked there, it was smaller and did not have as many opportunities for movement between teams but I think this has been consistently improving.