UC San Diego Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 9, 2017

2.4

Digital Media and Social Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Three interviews over the course of two and a half hours - two panels and a one-on-one. Intensive to say the least, but I did well. Everyone was friendly and welcoming. Where the negative experience comes into play is what happened with the followup. I sent out my thank yous to the immediate department members who I had interviewed with. None of them acknowledged me but that's okay. The department head, who made herself a point of contact in the whole process, ignored my additional followup requests over the next few weeks. Flat-out ignored me. Eventually I wrote to someone else and I received a bizarre response, that the "offer was still in process," whatever that means.

A week or two after that contact I received a generic blanket rejection e-mail that opened with "Dear Applicant." Obviously it was BCC'd to everyone else. I wasted two and a half hours of my time being probed here only to be duly ignored and then addressed as "applicant." I would think that with such an intensive interview process there would be a little more class involved when communicating with applicants. The department head also accused me of being a perfectionist during our interview. Nope, not a perfectionist; I just have high standards, which is something that this whole process completely lacked.

UCSD does great work, but I would hope it's not like this in other departments. Very poorly handled here.

Peer Tutor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

I applied through a friend who worked there. The interview was very standard. There were questions about my experience in math classes, how to deal with different students and what to do in multiple situations.

Interview Questions

• How would you explain and solve this problem for your students?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Scholar Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Presentation and answering the questions about my previous research. I talked first to PI and than to all lab members and took a look around the lab. The day ended with my presentation and answering questions regarding my previous research. The overall experience was good.

Interview Questions

• What research topics I am interested in among those that are available in the lab.   1 Answer

Bookstore Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

Received a phone call to set up an interview. Confirmed an interview and interviewed at bookstore office. A few people interviewed me in a room. Interviewers held different positions and took turns asking questions. After a day or two, received a phonecall with an offer. Very friendly management

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Relaxed environment for students; isn't too professional which keeps students comfortable. often times entails group activities as other candidates are also present in the interview. Might seem like you all are competing for who talks the most, but the interviewers/student affairs staff notice everyone and are looking to create well-balanced, diverse teams/leaders.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Diego (La Jolla, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

HR handles all initial screening. It depends on the department, but they may do a phone screen before bringing you in. Normally meet with a panel of 3-5 others, including the HR rep. Sometimes bring you back for a final round to meet with the person you will be supporting.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions; tell me about a difficulty you had with a co-worker and how you handled it, tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer or stakeholder and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at UC San Diego (San Diego, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Took about 2 weeks. They ask specific questions about your resume(describe a certain experience). The process is pretty straight forward in the sense that if you know the things on your resume, you will do just fine.

Interview Questions

• They ask specific questions about your resume(describe a certain experience).   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Interview

4 interviews and nothing substantial was revealed until starting the job. then the true colors came through. The job description didn't match the interview or the job posting. Very disappointing

Interview Questions

Interview

Lots of technical questions, was asked to make a presentation. But it really depends on the PI. Had a chance to talk to all the lab members after the interview which was extremely useful.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at UC San Diego.

Interview

Contact to a professor for a RA position, and schedule an one to one meeting.
    Attempt to solve an on going problem with a collaboration of other graduate student in the lab.
    With some progress of project, received the support for the tuition and living expenses.