Unified Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Unified

2.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unified (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by recruiter, then tech screen by hiring manager, all very successful, even ended earlier. After that I got codility test, pretty straightforward and including just one trivial, but verbose (over 2 pages description) task. Was able to implement it in less just one hour out of 4 hours given. Got the 25% score by some hidden test cases, which looked weird. Either they didn't mention something or I didn't notice, but anyway it is just a bad test design which doesn't provide a fair evaluation. (It looked actually like a one successful task out of four, maybe?). I've never been contacted afterwards, and probably never will myself.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Unified.

Interview

The phone interview was pretty normal until the interviewer started asking some algo questions. The first question was incredibly easy, one that anyone who did any prep at all would know, so I explained how I would solve it right away. The interviewer paused for a while and then asked if I heard that question before. I said, yes.

Loooong pause, maybe literally 5 minutes. Then he asked another question. This was another easy question (like one of the easier questions in Leetcode easy). I knew how to solve this right away so I explained the solution. The interviewer asked if I had heard of that question before. I said yes. He got obviously upset, paused for a while, and went straight to "Do you have any questions for me?" When I asked what happened, he said I was being dishonest by not revealing upfront that I had heard those questions before.

I think that is ridiculous but anyway...both of these were incredibly easy questions, probably taken straight off Leetcode or CTCI, so be warned: if you have done any sort of prep, you probably have heard their interview questions before. Try playing dumb during the questions so no one suspects you of having done any studying.

Interview Questions

• Explain the architecture of your personal project on your resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Unified (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

Process was:
    1. Applied via LinkedIn
    2. Phone screen about a month later
    3. 3 question code test (2 SQL questions, 1 python)
    4. On-site with 7 people over the span of 3 hours
    5. Next day rejection.

For the onsite, the questions after the first technical interview were primarily behavioral.

Interview Questions

• (ML) Can you give an example when accuracy isn't a good metric to use?   1 Answer
    • (Python) Given a string separated by a space, how do you reverse the string while keeping the positions of the individual words? (I provided a solution using map, but they also requested this using a list comprehension)   Answer Question
    • (SQL) About 2-3 sql questions. I can't remember exactly what they were, but similar to:

Given some table with company_id, campaign_id, and something_else and another table with campaign_id, and spend, how much has each company spent?

They then provided another table that was structured differently and asked the question above.   Answer Question
    • (Probability) Imagine we're playing a game where you roll a fair die, and you receive the amount that appears on the die. How much are you willing to pay to play the game?

Now, imagine your given the option to roll one more time. What's the optimal strategy to play?   Answer Question
    • (Behavioral) What was the hardest decision you've ever made in your career?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Unified (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Two Phone Screenings, coding challenge, a third phone screening, then an on-site. The whole process took less than three weeks. They responded very quickly to my emails and accommodated my schedule well.

Interview Questions

• After the phone screenings and the technical interview, the questions seemed to be mostly cultural. The technical questions were pretty standard.   Answer Question

Analytics Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Unified.

Interview

Pretty straight foward. Interview with a few of the analysts, the manager, and CTO. The tough part is the coding portion. I'd suggest practicing with the codility lessons before attempting the exam. I screwed up my interview because I wasn't used to the way the problems were assessed. You'll really have to be concerned with all types of inputs, empty lists, etc... Recommend practicing all of the lessons to get an idea of how the assessment works. All in all, a fair interview.

Applications Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Unified (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

Received a call from HR after submitting application. First Step, phone interview with HR, then phone interview with Hiring Manager. Scheduled onsite interview, rescheduled about 14 times, that's right 14 times, right up to about 10 minutes before the onsite interview. Arrive on site 15-20 minutes before the agree time. Closer to the actual meeting time, I was brought into a conference room, where the interview would take place. Waiting began, I waited about 20 minutes after the scheduled time and finally the interviewer showed up. He was out of to lunch, when he had a scheduled interview. So far, I have got nothing by RED Flags all over. Anyway, his questions were completely out of scope. After 10 minutes, it was time for next interviewer. Waited almost 45 minutes before walking out on them. Depending on the department you are trying to get in, I WOULD STAY AWAY From this company.

Interview Questions

• Completely unrelated to the position I was informed about.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Unified.

Interview

I applied online. A few days later, they sent me a strange test (50 questions, 15 mins.) to be completed online, which I felt was really... not necessary at all. It was a lot of basic math and stuff, but overall a total waste of my time and kind of insulting, honestly.

A couple of weeks later, I received an e-mail and scheduled a phone interview with the HR rep. The guy who called me was so unprofessional -- 1) he was very late in contacting me and 2) he texted me (???) which left me very confused.

Initially, the interview was pretty standard -- I felt comfortable, especially because I had prepared extensively. Then the guy just started throwing curveballs at me -- questions that were absolutely not relevant to the position or their company. On top of that, he asked me a really long and complicated Excel question that most people probably wouldn't be able to do without having Excel actually open in front of them, which was extremely bizarre.

He also told me some background about a problem he and his team had trouble with and asked me what I would do in their shoes (which is fine and I think should be a standard question to test problem-solving skills). However, I could tell from his voice that he expected me to just solve this problem for them and that it would be the only way they would hire me [AGAIN, THIS WAS FOR AN INTERNSHIP!].

I was honestly so disappointed, especially because A) this company was rated as a really cool place to work with friendly employees [very obviously not the case]; and B) an internship is about learning the ropes, not knowing ALL of them going in -- otherwise, wouldn't it just be Unified taking advantage of students for cheap labor and calling it an "internship"?

Overall, it just left a really bad taste in my mouth. Would not want to work here even if they ended up offering me a spot.

Oh, and for the record, I was more than qualified for the internship position. I have a lot of prior internship/work experience in relevant fields, and explained this to him and told him about a lot of work I did which was very very relevant to what Unified does...but apparently they expect "interns" to be superhuman on top of everything else. Laughable.

Interview Questions

• Imagine that you have 1000 x 1000 rows, #1 is labeled x, #2 is labeled y, etc. Now imagine that I asked you to do xyz with these 1000 x 1000 rows. How do I do this?   1 Answer

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Unified (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Phone Interview, it was pretty average. The whole process took about a week from application to interview on the phone. The phone interview was quick and the response was very immediate.

Campaign Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Unified (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

I was contacted after applying to complete a personality and thinking assessment. Then we set up a phone screen with the talent manager, who was very kind and asked about my experience and my interest in the company; then another phone call with a campaign manager who explained more about the team; then scheduled an in-office interview with five employees, which composed of three video calls, two in-person and an Excel assessment walked through with the director (this was probably my weakest point). Throughout the process, everyone took notes on our discussion to be reviewed together afterwards. They were kind and asked challenging questions, but they weren't trying to trip me up.

I didn't get an offer, which was disappointing after the whole process. Regardless, the interview reviews/questions on Unified's Glassdoor were extremely helpful in my preparation!

Interview Questions

• Where would your previous supervisor say you need improvement?   Answer Question
    • What's something you geeked out on recently?   Answer Question
    • How do you go about prioritizing/knowing what to prioritize with a lot of tasks?   Answer Question

Campaign Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Unified (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2018.

Interview

I have to admit, they were very quick and efficient with their turn around. I applied online and got a response the next day. The first thing they do is have you do a 25 minute online assessment- a personality assessment followed by a basic math/ cognitive assessment>

Almost immediately after the assessment, I was set up to have a 30 minute phone interview the HR Coordinator, who asked me about my work history and explained the role in detail. The same day, the recruiter reached out and scheduled me for another 30 minute phone interview with the hiring manager.

The interview with the hiring manager went well, so then I was asked to come into the office for a three hour long in-person interview with a total of five people. I also was asked to complete a basic excel assessment after the interviews.

The third, three hour long interview went really well. Although no one bothered to mention that one of the people on the agenda couldn't make it to the meeting, so they just replaced him with someone else, which lead to them saying "congrats, we think you did really well and should move on to the next step- please provide time for a fourth, 45 minute-long interview"- which was actually just a make-up interview for the person that missed the third round.

I felt that things had gone really, really well up until that last 45 minute interview. The manager was completely disinterested and definitely came off with a huge ego- something I hadn't experienced with any of the other wonderful people I had spoken with. This came as quite a shock considering how many people emphasized that their culture was "ego-free", and I was a bit annoyed that I needed another interview to begin with (especially considering there was no explanation for it other than he just didn't show up).

So I spent a total of like five hours interviewing with this company (which is totally fine/ standard nowadays), only for the last 45 minutes to go down the drain- I didn't get an offer. A bit disappointing to know that one person (out of the 8 other wonderful people I had met with) called the final shots. But hey- they are ego-free, right?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question