Union Square Hospitality Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

It was not a typical on-site interview process. At first, you had to answer a list of questions and the hiring manager would decide if they want to move forward.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the company?   1 Answer

Brand Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (Houston, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews, not bad at all, just need to have prior experience.
    It's mainly a phone interview not long and they encourage you during the process. Then you go on the field and they see how great you are.

Reservationist/Hostess Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Met with one of the managers of the restaurant. The meeting went well and invited me back for what he called a "shadow" day of work. I initially discussed working on the phone with reservations. He told me that is what I would be trained on. I ended up being put in the front of the house/hostess. I worked a full breakfast shift and wasn't sure exactly what I was being "trained" for. I was told I would be paid for my time. (I wasn't!) and didn't end up getting the job. The whole experience put a very bad taste in my mouth for this company.

Special Events Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Interview was very conversational and straight forward. I was asked about what I studied in school, my background and interest in hospitality and event management, and my knowledge of Union Square Hospitality Group. I met with the managing partner first and then the General Manager. The interview process was explained to me as a two round process. I was offered the job the day of my second interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your hard skills?
      How do you feel about joining a tight knit team?
      What experience do you have in the hospitality industry?
      How will you exemplify the values of USHG?
      What are some of your favorite restaurants or bars in the city?   Answer Question

Hostess/Kitchen Server Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Was e-mailed in and interviewed by the General Manager. She asked me questions about my experience in food and hospitality and why I would like to work with them. She then discussed the benefits and opportunities within and then gave me the job.

Line Cook At the Modern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Sent my resume via e-mail and got a phone call to schedule an interview. visited the establishment and had an casual interview with the chef. I got an offer within a week and I took the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. just took the job because i really wanted to work there

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

Great interview! Easy to schedule and very friendly. Had a genuinely involved and interesting interview for a potential position. Was encouraged to check in after a couple of weeks which I did. Unfortunately they ended up not hiring for the position at all but I was encouraged to keep in touch in the future. I definitely will!

Interview Questions

• What are your strongest skills? What areas of the job are you most passionate about?   Answer Question

USHG Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY) in November 2013.

Interview

I participated in an interview through the college recruiting program. It was a one on one interview with one HR representative from the company. Following the interviews offers were given and no more interviews were required.

Interview Questions

• Which of our restaurants could you see yourself working at?   Answer Question

Server Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Union Square Hospitality Group (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

I met with the GM and originally I was interviewing for a hostess position. We sat down at a table near the bar and had a one-on-one conversation for about 20 minutes. At this point, I had never worked in a restaurant before and when I expressed a desire to grow in the industry, he encouraged me to switch my focus to a Server Assistant position. I went home to think about what he said and when he called a few days later to offer me the job, I felt like I was already a member of the team. I learned so much as a Server Assistant about the fine details of a restaurant and everyone was very supportive. I eventually became a server, but I'm so grateful for his guidance.