United Rentals Interview Questions | Glassdoor

United Rentals Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2018

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at United Rentals.

Interview

I applied online for the job opening. A Regional Recruiter reached out to me about job details. Lastly there was a very relaxed phone interview with BM and DSM. Smooth and professional process.

OSR Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Rentals (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Very professional and the communication was great regarding time frame and steps. The process was expected and the 4 separate meetings were informative and great open dialogue. One of the most efficient interview processes I've been a part of.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to overcome an objection from a customer what step or steps did you take to win the deal?   Answer Question

OSR Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at United Rentals.

Interview

I could tell the 1000 word long 5 week horrible process but I wont. I would just say, there are some serious ethical issues. I was told twice I would have a job offer within a week once by a branch manager and once by a distric manager. Nother ever game to play, and everyone avoided giving me any information. After 3 hours of in person interviews 20 back and fouth text messages the level of unprofesionalism to not uphold promising was amazing.

Interview Questions

• It is not an interview per se. Althought the one manager wanted to know where else I was interviewing. Essentially to make sure I wouldn't be the competition.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Castle, DE

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at United Rentals (New Castle, DE) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online. A month later I did a phone interview first. Then an in person interview the next week with the hiring manager. Overall it was a very thorough process.

Interview Questions

• How does your previous work history help prepare you for this position?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United Rentals (Lexington, KY) in February 2008.

Interview

Branch Manager dominated the interview leaving not much time for me to present my interest and skill set for the position. Appreciated some of the info for my own decision making ,but felt the meeting was not effective or fair for an informed decision to be made about the fit.

Interview Questions

• Even though you have the experience, you don't know the company's computer system as the internal candidate does, but he has no experience. Do you think you can do the job since you don't know the company's computer system?   1 Answer

OUTSIDE SALES Interview

Interview

If you know someone its easy otherwisy very difficult. Also very much depends on manager and if he is in an approved crowd and can make a management descision on his own!

Interview Questions

They tried to lowball me at first then took my counter

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at United Rentals.

Interview

Very simple and fairly informal as it was more of a conversation than an interrogation. The gentlemen I met with was very informative and allow me to ask any question I wanted because he understood I would be making a big career change.

Interview Questions

• If I would be ok with being an outside sales rep rather than a branch manager.   2 Answers

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation as they allow you to earn commission. The commission incentive is huge because it allows you to earn more money than just a set salary.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bismarck, ND

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at United Rentals (Bismarck, ND) in January 2014.

Interview

Long and drawn out process with very little communication from United rentals. They stated that they were going to move fast on hiring but didn't fill this position for 7 months.

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at United Rentals (Charlotte, NC) in April 2010.

Interview

Was acquired in an acquisition so there was no interview process for me.

Negotiation

no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at United Rentals (Dallas, TX) in September 2009.

Interview

Best way to get on at United is to network. They hire who they know. I got on as a Driver thru a guy at my church. Usual process of online, phone interview, meet with hiring manager, background check, then offer.

Negotiation

No negotiation for initial hire. When I was promoted to sales, we went back and forth on Salary and guarantee numbers until we all felt like it was a fair deal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at United Rentals (Denver, CO) in September 2013.

Interview

First interviewed with the local Branch Manager, went well, questions about dealing with unhappy customers, sales expectations, and account development. Had a 2nd interview with regional manager, was shorter but similar questions. "Tell me about what you did at....."

Was a bit disappointed in how long it took to hear back after the 2nd interview regarding if I would need to complete a 3rd interview. As I am still employed, the lack of communication was frustrating. Took several calls and emails to the manager to get any response. Something as simple as a "we are still interviewing, or any other type of a response" would have been better than ignoring calls and emails. After all, you want a persistent sales person, don't you???

Interview Questions

• Area of needed improvement, typical interview questions.   Answer Question