KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.0
United Rentals President and Chief Executive Officer Matthew Flannery
Matthew Flannery

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Great benefits and they try to put a system in place to make the job easy.(in 175 reviews)
  • "Good hours and pay for the week and no weekends ever(in 114 reviews)
  • "Good people although the economy has hit hard(in 52 reviews)
  • "Benefits Pay Advancement Opportunity Hours and security(in 25 reviews)
  • "I am very happy with the way the company takes care of its employees.(in 23 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of United Rentals and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years
    Featured Review

After 12 years, continue to be amazed

Oct 18, 2021 - District Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

After 12 years I continue to be amazed by this organization. Hurricane Ida devastated Louisiana and left many team members in need of some basic necessities such as food, clothing, and shelter. United Rentals quickly provided many team members with grants that allowed them to purchase these basic necessities. Many homes were damaged and left uninhabitable - UR provided campers that accommodated entire families at no cost to team members. The United family sent canned goods and household supplies from across the country – enough that there was a pantry setup for all team members that had a need to get free food and groceries. Showers and laundry trailers were also made available to team members free of charge. While all this was amazing and much appreciated, what really exemplified United Rental’s culture was the team members that came in from across the country to help. Boots on the ground, taking care of people they had never met before but that didn’t matter, all that mattered was that we all belonged to the same family. The United Rental’s family! I was taken back by how many team members were so willing to give up their time to help those in need. That’s family, that’s culture, that’s UNITED RENTALS!!

Cons

I haven't been able to meet all my family members - it's a big family.

6 people found this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great place to work

Sep 9, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, they care about us as individuals, good advancement opps

Cons

Long hours in busy seasons, short staffing like many places

United Rentals Response

Hello! We thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are thrilled that you have had a positive experience with us as an employer - And appreciate your feedback around our benefits & career development opportunities. We continue to develop these programs to create a best-in-class experience, and will share your feedback with our teams. Thank you for being a part of our United Rentals family!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Feels Like Working with one big Family.

Sep 29, 2022 - ISR- Inside Sales Representative in Elko, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy the fair pay scale, the health and wellness benefits, and the many free services offered to employees and their families. I have never felt more like a human and less like a number than working here. This company really considers the employees to be the strongest asset and treats them with respect.

Cons

This company still has a tendency to get bogged down with intercompany communications, especially when it comes to (Corporate AP, HR, Call Center, etc.) and the individual branches. Sometimes there is confusion, and a lot gets lost in translation. There are a lot of helpful resources to help in job completion and other avenues, but it is not all that intuitive all the time. In all fairness thought it is tough to supply every person with every answer for ever conceivable question, and certain internal processes are becoming more streamlined as time progresses.

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Pros

I would say like most successful companies it all starts with having the best people in the right positions and empowering them to make decisions and be the best version of themselves. United has an brilliant executive leadership team working tirelessly behind the scenes to build and foster a wonderful company culture. The major pros working for United are company culture, great pay and benefits, strong safety culture, supportive and empowering management teams, and leading internal recruiting and promotion opportunities nationwide. In my time with United I have held 4 positions, in 3 states all which have been initiated by me and supportive by a company that believes it's greatest asset are it's people.

Cons

I don't have any real cons to add to this list. I have sought greener grass at one point, and was fortunate to have the opportunity to come back to United Rentals and have felt at home since.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Quality Company

Sep 30, 2022 - Maintenance Tech III in Denver, CO
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highly competitive pay structure, FREE training, room for advancement, safety culture is amazing! The list of accolades goes on and on!

Cons

The hiring process seems to take forever. Background checks are very important to ensure we get the best people, but some folks just need a break so they can start on or restart a life and future.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Outside sales

Sep 29, 2022 - Territory Manager in Perris, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started as an inside sales rep and In the six years I have been with the company I have been promoted 3 times. They offer great pay and if you sell equipment you can give yourself a raise pretty much everyday no caps. Great company to start your career and grow with. Great benefits like Company vehicle, company stock option, full benefits, 401k etc.. great team that cares about your growth and our customers.

Cons

No cons all is good.

7. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Opportunity Abounds

Sep 29, 2022 - Strategic Account Manager in Portland, OR
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love that there are limitless opportunities for motivated individuals to grow and excel. Personal growth and advancement is strongly encourage by management team.

Cons

There is a bit of a divide between operations and sales team in some locations.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Grow With The Best

Sep 29, 2022 - Operations in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, growth potential, stability, longevity, training, mentorship, family, team, culture

Cons

Cons are different for each person depending on their mindset

9. 4.0

Division Safety Trainer

Sep 15, 2022 - Division Safety Trainer
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Opportunities for Advancement - If I preform well I can ask for a raise, and usually get one - Hands off management. I can create my own work flow, and as long as I preform well I do not have interruptions from management.

Cons

- Expected to do the job of many people - The LMS is very poorly designed and crashes on a regular basis

United Rentals Response

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We are thrilled that you value us as an employer, and specifically in terms of advancement opportunities and management style. In regards to your feedback on work load & the learning management system, we want to help improve your experience! We have passed this anonymous feedback to the appropriate teams for further review. If you have any other questions or concerns, we encourage you to contact our corporate human resources representative directly, or if you wish to continue to remain anonymous, we encourage you to call the Company’s Employee Alertline at 1-877-HELP-URI. Thank you for being a part of our United Rentals family!

10. 5.0

Great Time off

Sep 26, 2022 - CDL-A Driver
    Business Outlook

Pros

Given sick, floating and vacation days . Enough that I never seem to run out

Cons

Sometimes not enough overtime other times too much

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,398 Reviews

United Rentals Reviews FAQs

United Rentals has an overall rating of 4.0 out of 5, based on over 1,457 reviews left anonymously by employees. 79% of employees would recommend working at United Rentals to a friend and 80% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, United Rentals employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at United Rentals. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

79% of United Rentals employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated United Rentals 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at United Rentals to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, work life balance, management.

Popular Careers with United Rentals Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at United Rentals? Share Your Experiences

United Rentals Careers

Cover image for United Rentals

We're a great place to work…and to grow Founded in 1997, United Rentals has become the world’s largest equipment rental provider, with an...More

• Our Culture
  • Veterans United
  • Diversity
  • Benefits

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

6 days ago

Careers
We're hiring in Martinez, CA! Ready for an exciting new career? Come join our teams at United Rentals! We offer best-in-class benefits, comprehensive training, & plenty of advancement opportunities. Check out a few of our openings below, & go to jobs.unitedrentals.com for more! Shop Foreman: https://rb.gy/vqhdcc Diesel Mechanic: https://rb.gy/4nudwl Inside Sales Rep: https://rb.gy/rqdf0t

13 days ago

Careers
Hob jobs alert! Check out a few of our current openings below in Sales & Recruiting. Why choose a career with United Rentals? We offer a best-in-class benefits program, competitive pay, restricted stock units, and an inclusive and welcoming culture that truly feels like family. Grow your career with us & apply today! Outside Sales Rep in Sudbury, ON: https://jobs.unitedrentals.com/search/jobdetails/outside-sales-rep/b90572a5-6262-4dc9-8493-220f1adfdd7c?utm_campaign=featuredjob Outside Sales Rep in Timmins, ON: https://jobs.unitedrentals.com/search/jobdetails/outside-sales-rep/7a1a3e00-e896-4a67-a2ac-4fb3f312f3e1?utm_campaign=featuredjob Bilingual Recruiter (remote): https://jobs.unitedrentals.com/search/jobdetails/bilingual-region-recruiter/3bed874e-8c45-453b-8643-721521b23002?utm_campaign=featuredjob For all other openings, go to jobs.unitedrentals.com
Shared image

United Rentals Photos

+ Add Photo
United Rentals photo of: UR Team member with 150' boom
United Rentals photo of: UR employees came together to collect supplies for team members affected by Hurricane Laura
United Rentals photo of: With the help of Operation Gratitude, employees are able to donate Halloween candy to Deployed Troops, Veterans and First Responders
United Rentals photo of: Pink haul truck to support breast cancer awareness
United Rentals photo of: UR employees supporting breast cancer awareness
United Rentals photo of: UR employees getting into the Halloween spirit
United Rentals photo of: UR employees getting into the holiday spirit

Expert Career Advice