Universal Technical Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 13, 2017

2.9

Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Avondale, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute (Avondale, AZ) in April 2017.

Interview

3 Group Interviews and 1 Individual Interview same day. These are to be followed by a skills assessment and a final interview. I passed the first interviews and I am awaiting a call r.e. the skills assessment.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were standard open ended that required a thoughtful answer and resulted in dialogue between myself and the interviewers.   1 Answer

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Exton, PA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute (Exton, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview was very informal, calm and relaxing, not stressful. Everything was very straightforward, no curveballs or anything meant to confuse you. They promised to get back by the end of the week.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute in November 2016.

Interview

Hiring process was intensive, initial phone interview with HR, then phone interview with Program Director and Assistant Director, then in-person interview with Manufacture Training Manager. After employment offer, employment background check and drug took 10 days.

Interview Questions

• Multiple interviews each lasting about 1.0-1.5 hours with lots of questions about my automotive and teaching experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Initial offer of salary and relocation assistance was good but I countered 14% salary increase and was denied, they stated initial was firm.

Coordinator Interview

Interview

Lengthy, but everyone was very friendly. I felt like they honestly wanted to get to know me. They used questions to find out what you would do in certain situations.

Interview Questions

• Where to you see yourself in 5 years? tell us about your experience   Answer Question

Regional Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute (Aurora, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

The hiring manager was extremely interested in my application: He called a couple hours after I submitted and gave me the "run-down." I received a phone screen with a recruiter and was forwarded to another phone interview with the hiring manager. Interview went well and they asked me to come to Chicago for a face-to-face meeting with national director and hiring manager. Normal interview, nothing surprising. They requested that I submit my W2 to begin negotiations for salary. I submitted and then heard nothing for 2 weeks. I called the hiring manager and he let me know that they were seeking other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Stand up and present something you are passionate about.   1 Answer

Regional Admissions Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute in June 2016.

Interview

Very unprofessional. All about sales and numbers and little about the students or organizational integrity. Felt like I was interviewing at a used car lot. The interviewers were unprofessional and hard to describe other than "slimy".

Interview Questions

• All questions about results and how to get problem staff members to reach their numbers.   Answer Question
    • I noted that their website noted that they promoted from within, yet was told by my interviewer that if they had an internal candidate, they would not be interviewing me as an external candidate.

After 3 days past beyond when they said they were making a decision, I received a text that they had gone with an INTERNAL candidate!

Very unprofessional!   Answer Question

Campus Controller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute in January 2016.

Interview

Applied for the job and received a call for a phone screen about 2 weeks later. The phone screen took about 30 minutes and consisted of behavorial questions such as "Tell me about a time you had to lead a team without clear direction from your manager". At the end we talked about minimum salary requirements. She mentioned they are a school and my last salary is over $50k out of the range. I expected that would be the end of the interview.

After we finished I received a Predictive Index assessment to complete. I took the assessment and the HR rep sent me a copy. I received a call to set up an interview about a week later. I was not available the next day so we set something up for Friday. She said she would email me if anything changed. I showed up but no one seemed to be expecting me. The front desk indicated the interviewer said he had heard my name but was not scheduled to interview me. After waiting 20 minutes or so and observing a few people trying to figure out why I was there they interviewed me. Same behavorial questions but could not shake the feeling I was not supposed to be there. I received a canned rejection on Monday morning. Not a very organized or professional organization. In hindsight I don't think I was supposed to be interviewed.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute.

Interview

The interview itself was average. They asked basic behavioral questions about how well you get along with coworkers and customers. First part was a phone interview with recruiter then you are offered to take an attitude test, which they email after the phone interview. They then send you the results and you are offered to come in for an in person interview if you pass the phone interview.

Admissions Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Too long ago to remember well, but round table with 3 managers. They just asked all the normal question ...like Who, what, when, where, why...the usual. Nothing difficult nor surprising.

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Universal Technical Institute.

Interview

Not a good experience. 1 phone interview with hiring manager, 1 video conference interview with hiring manager, a phone interview with an offsite HR manager, then a 6 hour onsite interview which consisted of interviewing with 6 individuals. Red flag # 1 – Way too many people involved in the interview process which means they are a very inefficient department, can’t make decisions and are very political. During my interview with the 2 other recruiters, I got the impression that the others thought I was over dressed (I was in a suit) and that I was perhaps too formal and professional for them. After the onsite interview, I received a call from the manager to provide me with feedback that everyone all felt I was able to do the job, had the necessary skills, business acumen, innovation and all other competencies they were looking for; however, some of them felt I was too good of an interviewer and felt like they didn’t really get to know the real me. I felt completely insulted and turned off by this and quite frankly it left me feeling horrible. Since when was being a good interviewer a bad thing? I am a polished professional that knows my stuff. What this tells me about this organization and department is that they prefer to hire mediocre performers who are unprofessional. The manager then proceeded to tell me that she disagreed with their comments and that she didn’t feel that way at all. This is an interview setting, perhaps if you wanted to get to know the personal side of someone outside of work, you should have incorporated this in your interview process vs. interrogating the candidate with behavioral question after behavioral question. The manager then said she would get back to me in the next day or so. Later that evening, I withdraw my application as this is not an organization I want to work for.

Interview Questions

• All behavioral interview questions. Also, since I interviewed with 9 people, they asked a lot of the same questions   Answer Question