Unum Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 24, 2017

3.1

Disability Benefits Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unum (Glendale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

After having applied on the company website a recruiter sent me an email with a questionnaire to fill out. Then I received a call from a recruiter dealing with personal background and plenty of behavioral questions (S.T.A.R. Method). After that short phone call you will be asked to complete a minor assessment, should you pass the assessment which isn't anything difficult to drive you to pull your hair out within two weeks or so you'll find out if you're moving on to the next step. I was surprised to show up and see there were two other people there with me as I wasn't expecting a group interview for the process. The interview day lasts approximately 2 hours long. First hour is a simple breakdown of the role and an opportunity to ask questions from someone currently in the role. The second hour is broken down into two thirty minute segments where a group of two people will ask you many more behavior type questions. They want you to be SPECIFIC about how YOU functioned in that scenario. Avoid generalities!!! After that and you're free to go. I asked the HR rep how many people they were interviewing and just from the week I went they were doing groups of 3 twice a day. That's 30 people for the week for a role they said they had 8 open positions for. Overall though the area was nice and the interviewers were friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were given a job or task where there weren't well defined guidelines. What did you do?   Answer Question

DBS Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unum.

Interview

Initially applied, was scheduled for a phone interview soon after. This interview included going over my resume and a few behavioral questions. Two weeks after phone interview I was asked to come to Chattanooga for a face to face interview and provided a schedule and outline of the interview structure.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time in which you had to prioritize one task over the other.   Answer Question

Underwriter Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Unum.

Interview

Emailed a questionnaire to fill-out (very similar to regular interview questions), then if you passed that questionnaire you got an interview. The first interview was over the phone, lasted about 25 minutes, at the end they gave me a range of $47,000-$52,000 starting salary and said they would not pay for relocation. After the phone interview they emailed me 2 tests to complete. Then they invited me for a 3 hour interview at the office which included lunch (at the cafeteria in the office) and a tour with other candidates, then they split us up individually; I did a Behavioral interview with 3 managers then a Case Study interview (they emailed the case ahead of time) with 2 other managers. Everyone seemed very welcoming.

Manager - Resource Planning Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Unum (Chattanooga, TN) in March 2017.

Interview

During my initial recruitment and phone screen, I found the interview process to be very relaxed, yet professional. The recruiter did an excellent job of keeping me updated on the process.

The second interview was over the phone with the director. Not necessarily a workforce management guy, but he was very direct and honest about the department's pain points and areas where improvement was needed. He was also very knowledgeable about contact centers, which is not always the case.

My first interview on-site was a bit different. I had an opportunity to meet with operations leaders at all three customer service sites (two of them via webcam). Based on the setup of the conference room, it appeared that Unum spent a considerable amount of time and money to ensure that all sites had the ability to stay connected visually, as opposed to a simple speakerphone environment. I also had the opportunity to meet two members of the resource planning team.

The final interview (for me) was a hastily-called meeting with the three site directors. It did not go smoothly and started late with an absolute ending time. I will be honest when I say that I was not very comfortable with the directors and vice versa. I'm not entirely sure if even the three directors had the same vision as it pertained to resource planning. The director did not seem to be very interested in getting to know me; for whatever reason, I could FEEL that I simply wasn't his guy. Although I brought my laptop filled with examples of my work, he never wanted to see it, which should have been my sign that they weren't really interested. Although they promised to call back within a few days, they never did. I had subsequently received an offer from another organization, but since my first choice was Unum, I wanted to get a definitive answer on where I stood. I emailed the recruiter and they called me the next day to inform me that they had selected other candidates to continue with the interview process. The recruiter was a true pro and I would love to have a team full of individuals just like that individual.

Looking back, I'm actually OK with not getting the position. Based on my research of the company and its culture, I'm not certain that I would have been successful there. Not because of incompetence, but simply trying to find ways to get a large number of leaders to listen and work together. I would have been better off working as a consultant for Unum, rather than as a manager. I wish them all success, but it won't be easy.

Interview Questions

• What would you do to ensure that all of the supervisors were on the same page   1 Answer

Professional Development Program Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Unum in March 2017.

Interview

Multiple rounds of interviews. First was a phone screen with a recruiter, with the basic walk me through your resume questions and a brief market sizing question. Next was a skype panel interview with a senior member of the firm, a grad of the PDP, and a current associate. More of the same, and again a market sizing question. Very relaxed for a 3-on-1. After that, they had me complete an online personality and critical thinking test, which they asked questions about in the final round. Finally, a superday in one of their major offices. Dinner the night before, then 3 interviews the next day- fit, presentation, and case. The case was a problem similar to what you might deal with at the firm; the presentation was prepared ahead of time and delivered to senior management, then the fit was the standard sort of interview questions, but with a strong focus on how you interact in a team and lead others. I interviewed on a Friday and heard back on Monday.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work with difficult team members and how you resolved the situation.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Unum (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview then in-person interview. Got stood up for the initial phone screen (red flag #1), connected with the person a few days later and had the interview. Shortly afterwards, was asked to come in and have in-person with members of the leadership team. Got there and only met with 1 person who was completely unprepared - had clearly never seen my resume before and was unfamiliar with specific requirements of the position (red flag #2). Asked me about 3-4 of the most uninteresting questions and then told me they were still screening people. Few days later got a generic "thanks for applying" robo-email which I felt was unprofessional after I spent time talking with 2 different people from their company. Maybe I'm better off based on how disorganized they seem.

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unum.

Interview

applied online, through their internal website after seeing it on Indeed.com. was contacted by email by recruiter to set up phone interview. was then contacted by phone for initial interview that lasted about forty-five minutes. I then contacted recruiter a few weeks later as a follow-up, and only received automated email stating they had moved forward with other applicants.

Underwriter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unum (New York, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed alongside dozens of other candidates. It was humiliating. Then, they brought all of the candidates into one room and we had to do a leadership exercise ("The sinking boat"). I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Unum.

Interview

The standard interview process begins with a phone interview with the ADP/PDP recruiter. If things go well, you move on to a phone/Skype interview with actuaries within the company. After I made it through the first two interviews, I was flown to Chattanooga to participate in their Assessment Day.

The first night there was a networking dinner in downtown Chattanooga with the interviewers, some of the ADPs from the Chattanooga office, and all of the candidates (9 total). The next day consisted of 3 separate interviews (2 on 1) and a case study. The whole experience was extremely positive. The company is amazing, the HR process is streamlined and professional, and the interviewers were genuine and personable.

Interview Questions

• ALL leadership/character based. I was told by some of the other candidates that they got a technical question or two, but on the whole, they are really not too concerned with your resume once you make it to the Assessment Day. Those sorts of details are ironed out in your first HR interview. Prepare for the Assessment Day by really thinking about what kind of leader you are/want to be.   Answer Question

Benefits Center Assistant II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Unum (Chattanooga, TN).

Interview

Application;phone interview; typing test; on site skype interview;
    Must research company, identify transferable skills used in previous positions; demonstrate ability to communicate affectively, be attentive to detail, resolve conflict, and manage time wisely, and establish effective work relationships.