Unum Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rick McKenney

Pros
  • Most areas see the need to help employees with work-life balance (in 36 reviews)

• Strong, healthy company with great benefits (in 49 reviews)

1. "Unum"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

committed to job training and professional development; gives back to the community and communicates/shares volunteer opportunities in the community;

Cons

outsourcing will continue, no job security; not much opportunity for vertical job growth/promotion; says they are hiring but most of the new jobs will be in the contact/call centers which are low paying positions.

2. "Senior ETL"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Hillsborough, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Hillsborough, NJ

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good to work here. Nice experience

Cons

nothing to say as of now

"Unum review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum full-time

Pros

talented dedicated people, opportunity to move to different jobs

Cons

Given size of company hard to make changes due to complexity of systems and organization

Advice to Management

Experience is highly dependent upon manager. Some managers are not suited for role.

5. "Company that cares about people."

Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Top notch benefits, career growth opportunities, employee driven innovation, employee recognition, community involvement.

Cons

More diversity in senior leadership.

Advice to Management

More women in senior leadership.

6. "Top Management is not focused on long-term goals"

Current Employee - Short Term Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA
    Current Employee - Short Term Disability Benefits Specialist in Glendale, CA

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, decent pay, interesting work, great benefits, co-workers are chill

Cons

The work can get boring sometimes, denying people is no fun. Not very many opportunities for growth in the Glendale site.

Advice to Management

They don't seem to care about growing the company or growing individuals. They care about cutting costs and the bottom line only. My advise would be to understand that taking care of the company's long term health is not always the cheapest option.

7. "Good company to work for overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Generous PTO time, decent benefits, laid back corporate atmosphere (okay to have visible tattoos, obviously dyed hair, etc. and jeans), very often promotes from within

Cons

pace of big/structural changes, bad for trying to maintain work life/balance in high-volume departments

"Miserable Work Environment"

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

PTO, Insurance, location, cafeteria, peers

Cons

NO life-balance, micro-managers- treat you like 5 year olds - don't make your manager mad, because they will make your life miserable!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like educated professional adults. Majority come in, want to do their jobs and have a life! Quit making the environment so miserable - and back up your promise for Work/Life balance!!!

"Micro-Managing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Worcester, MA

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Experience working in a corporate office. You gain plenty of experience working with difficult close minded people.

Cons

Not much room for growth. Management is very old styled- the managers want to keep you in their department instead of helping you grow and achieve your career goals. Hard work does not get rewarded but if you slack off even a little bit, that gets noticed a lot and puts a big dent on you.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging your employees. Allow them to explore other areas and help them reach their career goals.

"Challenging Work - Political Environment"

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work is always challenging, the benefits are great and the people are quality.

Cons

The environment can be very political about how decisions are made about which projects to fund.

Advice to Management

Teams need to be given greater budgetary control so that they can run on their own.

"Intake-RUN"

Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Intake Specialist in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Unum full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I keep hearing there are pros....other teams seem to be happy...in other towns...

Cons

where do I even begin.

Advice to Management

Let me first start by clarifying that I was inspired to write this review because I was mistakenly accused by management of writing some other negative review on this website…
    Let me first say, that no, I didn’t write whatever negative review which management was referring to, but they sure did inspire one…

This is a culture of suspicion and subtle accusations, perpetuated by immediate management. This seems to be a singular issue, as other teams clearly are able to demonstrate success and upward mobility. Indeed, my issue may be with one singular manager, and that is highly unfortunate, because after the thrice demotion, I truly cannot comprehend how this particular person still manages to stay in the lead of any sort of staff.

Management seems to be more interested in saving their own skin, rather than fostering the progression of their own employees…After over four years in the department, management still cannot be bothered to even learn the basics of the job of the employees they oversee, and can actually be quoted as saying as much, even going so far as to say “don’t ask me” and then push whatever question onto senior staff members….

They like to bring out a vague statistic of a 70% positive attrition rating……yeah, I don’t know where those people are coming or going from, but it definitely is not this team…

Honestly, if you're looking for a job in insurance in Chattanooga, there are several other major firms to go to, .....better firms...