Vungle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Performance Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vungle (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

Shortly after the initial call with the recruiter, he scheduled a technical phone screening with the Lead. Questions were standard surrounding my current role and what I was looking for. They moved me forward with the case study which was challenging but fun. During the onsite I met with several members of the team, one who walked me through my results from my case study. I found this to be beneficial. It gave me a better understanding of what Vungle was looking for and what I could expect from the role if hired.

Devops Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vungle (San Francisco, CA) in April 2020.

Interview

Several weeks to schedule phone interviews. Huge lag time due to unresponsive recruiter. After three rounds of interviews, a new recruiter scheduled a phone "meeting" to tell me that the old recruiter was no longer with the company and to "share where we are at with our search", which equated to a very long "no". Wish they would have not wasted so much time/energy/effort for everyone. Like other reviews mention, this place is a mess while they pivot to offshore model in Beijing, managed by mid-level bosses in Singapore, and another thin strategic mgmt layer in SF. Despite the claim they are a local SF shop. Vungle bungle.

Interview Questions

• We have a webserver, and one day we got some email maybe a phone call from our client or customer, that they complain to us that our webserver/website they cannot access [sic], so please as many as possible list the potential issues for this case.   Answer Question

Vungle Response

May 7, 2020 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to write. We are sorry to hear you had a bad experience with your interview process. We take your feedback seriously and take pride in making sure all our candidates are treated respectfully. We are looking into what happened since the process you outline is certainly not a good one and we want to be sure that doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Additionally, it seems you may have been provided some details regarding our company that are inaccurate. Vungle’s headquartered in San Francisco with a majority of our employees based in SF, including over two-thirds of the global engineering team as well as our Executive Staff. We have had an office and team based in Beijing for over five years that is continuing to grow along with our 5 other offices around the world in Singapore, Tokyo, Seoul, Berlin and London.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vungle (San Francisco, CA) in December 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn, had an interview with the hiring manager, completed a take home assessment, and finally an on-site interview. Process was very straightforward and outlined clearly by the recruiter who I was in contact with throughout the entire process. The people I spoke to were all professional and friendly. The process moved along very quickly as well. No curve balls or anything out of the ordinary.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about my experience in different situations, projects I've worked on, technical knowledge, etc.   Answer Question

Performance Optimization Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Vungle (San Francisco, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

Was this a prank? Or some sort of weird test to see how I would react?

This has been the most frustrating, negative interview experience I've had in a long while. I should have listened to the other reviews. Similarly to the majority of recent reviews here, poor communication and lack of understanding of the role were significant problem areas. I also suspect they commonly bait-and-switch the position applicants interview for (stated by other reviews).

1. Initial phone screen:
    It was all basic phone screen questions. We reschedule last minute because the recruiter was coming back from a doctor's appointment. Not a big deal for me at this point.

2A. Long silence:
    There were 2 months of silence between the phone screen and the next step. I followed up about a week after the phone screen and...nothing. I followed up again a few weeks after that and received a response saying my salary requirements were a bit over their budget, but if I'm okay with their range, then I could move forward.

There was definitely a gap, but reasonable enough that I felt it wouldn't hurt to consider it and move forward. I expressed this in my email response...and more silence.

I followed up a week later and I was asked again about the compensation. I'm not sure why I was asked this again since I already answered this exact question. I gave the same email response and then...

2B. More silence:
    After another month past, I got a random voicemail and email from the recruiter. I probably responded a couple of days later and we eventually set up an interview with a hiring manager. At this point, my interest in the company was minimal to none but felt it didn't hurt to spend 30 minutes to see where this goes.

Additionally, I was told the reason for the 2-month delay was because the hiring manager was on vacation. Not sure how often people take 2 months off. Regardless, they should have communicated this rather than leaving me in the dark.

2C. Changing roles:
    They send me a link for scheduling and I noticed that the position went from manager to analyst. I asked about this and was told the change in the job title was to generate more applications. I did not appreciate the bait-and-switch,. If you are going to do this, you should at least call this out.

3. Video interview:
    Nothing was out of the ordinary. This went fine given that I didn't prep.

They told me the next step would be a case study and they wanted me to turn it around ASAP because they had finals rounds the following week. This piece of information made me question what they previously told me regarding the reason for the 2 months of silence. I feel they did not understand their staffing needs and have a reactive approach to recruitment without even considering the potential recruits. I was very busy over the next few days so even sparing 1 hour was going to be difficult at that time.

4. Case study:
    The objective was to thoroughly analyze a small dataset, summarize insights, forecast some numbers, provide recommendations, and present this in a clean format. You're given 24 hours to turn this around and they said it should take about 1 hour.

Without going into many details, there were a number of flaws in their approach to using a case study, especially in comparison to other interview case studies I have worked on. The 1-hour expectation is not enough to do a thorough job as requested and they initially framed it more as an Excel skills test. They did not provide any background or contextual information or even a schema for the dataset. I think this team has a misunderstanding of analytics, forecasting methodologies, and what insights are (they likely wanted a report on findings and trends, but specifically stated insights).

5. The verdict:
    They passed on my candidacy at this stage. Maybe they didn't like that I called out a few issues in their design. The feedback they provided was that I did not compare metrics week over week...which I did. Did they even look at it?

The recruiter mentioned that he got feedback that he might not have given me thoroughly enough information about the company. It was in an accusatory tone like he thinks I complained to the hiring manager about him (I don't even recall mentioning him at all). But the last time I had a conversation with him about the company was 2 months ago. Was I supposed to hang on to every detail about a company that has not shown me any respect throughout the process?

Anonymous Interview

Interview

Interview process was confusing... Instead of having a conversation, the people that interviewed me kept pausing to type up my responses.. They also emphasized multiple times that I was a great fit for this position and that they wanted to bring me in, but ignored me for awhile, and then emailed me that they’ll be moving on with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions like “What makes you a great fit for this position?”   Answer Question

Senior Mobile Engineer, Android Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vungle in June 2018.

Interview

1 HR call, 2 technical phone screens, and then an on-site interview. Everyone was very helpful, and kind. My recruiter was awesome to work with. Technical phone screens were relevant to the position.

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vungle (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I Applied through a HR. I had an initial conversation with the HR, then he passed me to the hiring manger, so I had a tech screen with the hiring manager for one hour. Then I was invited to onsite to talk to 4 people (all 1:1s) The onsite was focus on my previous projects, sql knowledge, and some situational questions. A couple days after, I received a call from the HR said they all think that I am a good fit to the role, so I was then invited to meet their CTO as the final step. That was an one hour talk, nothing about technical, but he was trying to figure out if I am culturally fit to the team. He also test on my business sense, and how I am going to think through a problem. After all these, the company made me an offer and I accepted it. It was a good experience overall.

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vungle (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Interview process was very standard. One recruiter call followed by a tech phone screen and then an onsite. The recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn and set up a phone screen with the hiring manager.
    The tech phone screen was very straight forward, asked a simple SQL question. I got the onsite call in a few days. The on site was very easy and was asked very standard design and programming questions
    The recruiter calls me and tried to really negotiate on the base salary before even offering me the job and even before scheduling the final call with the VP of Engineering. He called one more time and started to find out if i can come lower on the salary. He never scheduled the final interview and calls a week later to say they offered the position to someone else

Interview Questions

• Design an Ad serving system which has an exchange and scale from 10X to 100X growth   Answer Question

Senior Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vungle (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

Interview process was very standard and professional; a round of phone interview followed by on-site. The team was friendly yet very professional
    Their internal recruiter was following the process very closely and very helpful in the process . I really liked their team and the company and got an offer shortly after the interview. But since I received another offer from a big company I decided to not accept theirs.

Interview Questions

• Interview covered some basic ML concepts, case study and SQL.
      How would you handle missing values, categorial of many levels, and some advertising case study with follow up questions ..   Answer Question

Senior Technical Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vungle (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Applied online. Spoke with a Recruiter. A week later, I sent a follow-up message to the Recruiter. Nothing. Given that I was local, worked in the space and have a connection to the organization, I was hoping for more--even if it was an automated rejection.

Interview Questions

Vungle Response

Apr 9, 2018 – Senior Recruiter

I was the recruiter for this role and I really appreciate your feedback and apologize you had that experience. In practice, I follow up with all of my candidates, so your feedback fell through the cracks and that's unfortunate. Please contact me, I'd like to round out the conversation on a positive note for you.