WHSmith Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WHSmith Interview Questions

Updated May 9, 2018

2.0

Allocator Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith (London, England (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

Online application form with CV and covering letter followed by a telephone call and brief discussion assessing suitability. An interview was then arranged for a couple of days later. Absolutely loved the people and head office environment.very friendly and relaxed but focused on he job requirement and suitability. Employees have been there for some time and there are prospects for career progression.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith (Royal Tunbridge Wells, England (UK)).

Interview

I applied first online filling out their own apliccation form.
    Later, I was contacted by a memeber of the recruitment team to set up an interview in person with the manager. The interview was relaxed and he avoid the typical questions like "Tell me a situation in which you have to play in team, or handle pressure, or solve a conflict or..." Instead, he explained the role and asked about previous experience.

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at WHSmith (Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)) in January 2018.

Interview

I walked into the store and just handed in my CV. The next day I got a call for an interview the following day. The staff were very nice and friendly even before I got the job.

Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WHSmith (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in December 2017.

Interview

Applied online and then after 2 weeks, the telephone interview commenced. It was casual but the person interviewing me was quite abrupt with proceeding to the next question until she told me to stop talking and said "I'm going to have to stop the interview because I have interviewed stronger candidates than you" .....I was shocked but I guess that's how they do things.

Interview Questions

• What can you bring to the team that other won't or can't?   Answer Question

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith (Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

The woman who interviewed me was really friendly, she took me into a private room with another lady who took notes and started firstly talking about availability, then questions including scenarios of what you’d do in that certain situation, then more about the job role uniform and salary. They also asked if I had any upcoming holidays to which I replied no.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if a mystery shopper came in?   1 Answer
    • Give us a time when you’ve participated in teamwork?   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith (Colchester, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

Easy interview if you know what you are doing and have experience. Pretty much let everyone have a job, even the guy who I thought didn't do well.
    Group interview, just always be the first one to answer or ask questions. Other than that yh, around 7 people at the interview as well as the manager, Sandy, and two other members of staff

Interview Questions

• Tell us your name, age, what you are looking for within the job and something strange about yourself?   1 Answer

Sales Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at WHSmith.

Interview

Got an email asking me to go for an interview, then had a phone call asking what day I could come in, telling me what forms to bring in etc. Went in for the interview the week after, was took into a room for a one-on-one with the manager. Very casual and friendly atmosphere, had to fill in a few forms and was offered the job at the end!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to work well in a team.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work to targets.   1 Answer
    • What do you know about mystery shoppers and how would you treat them if they were to visit your store?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with someone complaining about a queue?   Answer Question
    • Why do you know about our company?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from the store manager a couple of days later inviting me in for an interview. It was a 1:1 interview with a variety of experience based questions, scenario questions etc. Then there was a short numeracy test. He said it would take 45mins in total my my entire interview ended up falling just short of that. It was very relaxed, felt more like an informal chat if it weren't for him taking notes. It was a very positive experience for me and I left the interview wanting to work there even more.

After the interview he said he would be calling the successful candidates the next day and walked me out. I got a call at 9am the next day offering me the job and inviting me for an induction the next day.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer was complaining about a long queue   Answer Question
    • What would you do if there was a mystery shopper in store.   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Folkestone, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at WHSmith (Folkestone, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online through indeed, the next day I had a phone call inviting myself to interview. Was a relaxed interview with the store manager, followed the next day by a working interview, the following day I had the job

Interview Questions

• What relevant experience do you have?   1 Answer

Customer Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at WHSmith (Manchester, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online on the WHSmith official website. I sent of my CV with it too. I then received a call about 2 days later for an interview. Then at the interview it was chilled with basic questions such as: what products do we sell? and what do you expect to be doing whilst working here?. They asked if I had any prior holidays booked and the times you want to work all of which were fine. I got the job two days after that. In total the whole proces lasted no more than 1 week.