Wealthfront Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Wealthfront Interview Questions

Updated Oct 3, 2018

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Wealthfront (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

I applied by submitting my resume on their website. I heard back from someone who scheduled a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty standard, though the person interviewing me seemed a bit condescending and in need of a bit of humility. I would give him the benefit of the doubt though, since it's easy to pick up the wrong signals on the phone. Overall, the initial communication was great. I was excited about this position, but HR never got back in touch after the phone screen. In a few years on the job market in Silicon Valley, this is the first and only time a recruiter failed to follow up.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked for very specific low-level questions about a single programming language that were interesting but not obviously relevant to the day-to-day work for this position.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wealthfront.

Interview

I had a phone interview and an on-site interview that were very technical. They were difficult but reasonable, and everyone was extremely friendly, probably one of the most pleasant interviewing experience I've had. I was ready to join, and even mentioned I can handle a pay cut.

Once I passed the interviewing phase they told me they're interesting in hiring me, but would not tell me my starting salary or options until I decide to join. This made me feel uneasy, so I dragged out my decision. Then the founder called me and told me that because I took 3 days to think this over, he doesn't trust my judgement, that I have a "millennial attitude" and does not want to continue the process. I formally declined after the conversation.

After my interviews I was 100% decided on Wealthfront, I even turned down my other offer and canceled an interview. But the fact that they are not transparent enough to give me an honest offer made me very uncomfortable. I still think they're a good company with a fantastic product, I invest with them and I follow their blog. But as their blog suggested, I was looking for a company that values transparency and will give me a fair offer.

Interview Questions

• The CTO asked me a question that involved java 1.8, I haven't worked with that version at all. It was fun to actually learn something new during an interview. Overall all of their questions were difficult but very fair, the interviewers were helpful and it felt like a collaborative environment.   Answer Question

I am very sad about declining, in many ways they seem like the perfect place to work for. But they would not tell me my starting salary or options, and I wasn't comfortable blindly accepting.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Wealthfront in June 2014.

Interview

Recruiter was not responsive, and it usually took several days to get response. It took me more than one month to complete phone interview + on-site interview.

On-site were 3 rounds; one coding, one knowledge+algo, and one behavior. I applied for backend engineer but was asked for JS knowledge, which gave the impression that interviewers are not trained.

After on-site interview, recruiter simply stopped contacting/responding (in case of no offer:)

Interview Questions

• coding interview is about implementing some iterator.

next round I was given a snippet of JS and ask scope/closure about it; I applied fro backend engineer and I don't know why I was asked for JS knowledge. I explicitly told the interviewer I am not good at JS, but interviewer insisted to carry on... from that moment I know I won't get offer :)

Last round was behavior questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wealthfront (Palo Alto, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

I was contacted on LinkedIn by the CTO and probably had a brief phone call. When I came for an in-person interview, I did some challenging programming exercises with two of the team. I had scheduling constraints (I think I was fitting it in on a long lunch before a meeting at previous company), so I came back a few days later for the "soft" interview which was pretty short.

Interview Questions

• Implement connection pooling.   1 Answer
    • Implement a simple regexp matcher using finite automata.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Wealthfront (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied through university and then got asked to do a phone interview. The recruiter who asked questions did not understand the responses to the questions and essentially told me that he was trying to match up my responses to the sample responses he had on a piece of paper. If something wasn't exactly matching up, he would tell me that, which tells you that he did not have the necessary knowledge of the questions he was supposed to ask to be asking them in the first place.

Interview Questions

• What's the runtime of a good sorting algorithm?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Wealthfront (Palo Alto, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Telephone interview with recruiter who missed our originally scheduled time and had to reschedule the interview, then canceled; 2nd telephone (technical) interview with software engineer. 2 week break for scheduling on-site interview. On-site interview consisted of pair programming (front end Rails application), group whiteboarding (algorithms), and in-depth behavioral and work-flow based interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Wealthfront (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

As a second-year undergraduate, I was fortunate enough to receive a phone interview back in February. My recruiter and I scheduled the call for the afternoon of a weekday, but recruiter ran late and we rescheduled. The next time, everything went smoothly and the phone interview was basically your typical behavioral, tell-me-about-yourself interview followed by questions on binary and Java.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Wealthfront (San Diego, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

They call and ask when a good time to talk on the phone is. Then once the date is set, they call you and do a brief phone screen. So we talked about myself and my programming background. Then they told a bit about the company and some of their work culture. Then they asked about twenty technical questions.

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Wealthfront (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Overall, the interview process for Wealthfront was thorough and iterative, but also had the capacity to move extremely fast at the later stages.

I applied through university recruiting, which lead to a sanity-check phone screen, then a technical phone screen, then a multi-part interview that was a mix of technical, behavioral, panel, and 1:1 meetings, then a 1:1 interview, and finally an on-site meeting. I met with a variety of engineers who all asked unique problems -- some with obvious but inefficient solutions and some with non-obvious solutions, and some with non-obvious edge cases. Be sure to think about these.

I was surprised at the number of steps involved in getting from start to end, but once you get there you really see why. This is a lean startup of brilliant and impactful individuals and they take great care about hiring their interns. They are treating their growth cautiously and trying their hardest to maintain quality while expanding.

The process was long, but there was a clear sense of drive among all the people I met. The interviews themselves were a mix between more algorithmic questions focused on data structures and complexity to some more abstract and practical implementation tasks. The interviewers challenge you and try to push you, so many times it felt like an uphill battle. I believe the purpose is to see how applicants struggle through tough problems. Makes sense, as the company is built on solving tough engineering problems.

tl;dr: Tough, but rewarding process. A mix of practical, abstract, and algorithmic problems.

Interview Questions

• Modify an existing data structure Y to add X new feature running with a specific (or heavily implied) runtime complexity.

Some atypical search questions came up (not knowledge based, more about problem solving).   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Wealthfront.

Interview

I was referred by a friend who interned for the company. I was contacted by the recruiter to set up a technical phone screen. This was my first technical interview so I didn't do very well, but the engineer was incredibly nice and tried to help me as much as possible. After this phone screen I promptly received a rejection email.