Whitepages Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Step 1: Coding Assignment

Step 2: First Interview -- this was a phone call, and not too difficult -- it's to see how well you logically solve through a problem.

Step 3: Second Interview -- this was another phone call, and a much harder data structures question. I am not sure how I answered, but it was definitely dynamic programming. Practice with Leetcode or Cracking the Coding Interview.

Step 4: On-site Interview -- they fly you out to Seattle, unless you live there. Several interviews are conducted to see if you fit in the role you are specifically applying for.

Overall, they are very transparent throughout the process and flexible around your time schedule.

Interview Questions

• Array Hopper, Dynamic Programming question, String question, HTML/CSS & JavaScript assignment, and Fullstack Drawing Board Question.   1 Answer

Dec 20, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello,

Thank you for submitting your thorough feedback, we are excited to see you around the office!

Best Regards,
    Conor Garside

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Whitepages.

Interview

Onsite interview, really nice place. There were four people interviewed me and the questions were getting harder, but not super hard. I met searching team and mobile team. People are nice around there. I learned a lot during the interview. They called me about three or four hours after the interview of the result.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA) in April 2014.

Interview

i was contacted by one of the executives and then invited for a visit. i would say the recruiter is friendly and the office is very impressive. the executive took 15 minutes to give a big picture of business and technologies of the company. the communication is smooth and productive. then i have been introduced to an engineering manager and all negative experience starts: 1) do not feel be respect during the whole conversation; 2) that guy is definitely not a technical person; 3) the interview turns to be a completely personal-show of his "deep" knowledge even his question/solution is completely flawed.

Interview Questions

Whitepages Response

May 14, 2014 – Talent Outreach Manager

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have addressed the issue internally.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Whitepages.

Interview

I applied for the position online. The recruiter got back to me pretty quickly (within a few days) and asked that I complete the coding challenge. The coding challenge as you can see from other posts isn't difficult (it's actually kind of a fun problem (maybe you'll disagree, see for yourself)). I think if you spend a bit of time thinking about the solution and code cleanly you will do fine.

A day after I submitted my code, the recruiter got back to me and said that I passed. We then went on and scheduled a conversation to talk about the company, the position, the teams, and the rest of the hiring process. The recruiter was very nice and professional, and very responsive.

After that we scheduled a phone screen with the tech manager. I'm not exactly sure what his position is, but from what I gather he's quite high up in the company. The tech manager called on time (which I appreciate), but then things went downhill from there. From the moment we started, I feel like I was being grilled the whole interview. I did not once feel like any answers I gave were good enough but instead the interviewer was looking for ways to point out my mistakes. I appreciate when people point out where I go wrong, but not with this attitude. Listen, if I'm not a fit for the role, I am ok with that -- there is no reason to be rude and condescending about it. The call lasted an hour, I thought of saying "this is not working out, why don't we just call it a day" many many times during that hour that felt like forever. I've done a lot of interviews in the past 2 weeks (15 total) and this was the worst interview I've had. Other interviews, the interviewer and I would have a conversation, and we would work together to come up with a good solution for whatever the problem is -- in this case it was more like the interviewer is annoyed having to even talk to you at all.

Let me give you a couple examples why I feel this way
    1. I was told many times that what I'm saying basically is wrong and makes no sense, not in those exact words, but it was definitely delivered negatively.
    2. I was asked to solve a design problem, although to be honest at this point I didn't even try too hard because I made a call at the beginning of the conversation that this isn't the right place for me (I also met some of them earlier in person and knew I won't want to work with them, just didn't think I fit "culturally"). For every sentence I uttered I was being challenged/grilled whether my solution even makes sense. We're all professionals, and we have different ways of solving problems. If I don't pick the solution that matches with yours, we should discuss. I don't appreciate people shooting down ideas without being able to convince me why his solution is better.
    3. Then I was asked to solve a coding problem (I don't even know why I bothered at this point). The other coding interviews I had these past 2 weeks (and I had a number of them, all went very well), the interviewer would be very polite and ask whether you've gotten the link they sent, and then started talking about the problem and what they're looking for in your solution. You know what the Whitepages interviewer did yesterday when he sent the link? Nothing. He said NOTHING. There was an awkward silence for about 10 seconds (that's long when you're in an interview). I at this point was very annoyed and I wanted to see when he would say anything. He did not say anything, so eventually I said "so should I start writing code?". Anyway, there were 2 parts of the problem, and every book or website or blog you read on how to do well in a coding interview is you should ask to clarify the problem, right? So I did. The response... "this is a really easy question you should just be able to just start coding". Wow, really? So there you go, I solved it, it was easy but I was just trying to keep the conversation engaged and speak out loud what I was thinking. The second part of the problem, I asked a couple more questions, the response... "do you want me to just give you an example why blah blah blah won't work, is that what you want?". Condescending much?

Needless to say, I didn't think I was going to get the job, and I don't want it. Even if I made it to the next round (which I didn't), I would have said no and moved on to other companies that treat you with more respect.

Interview Questions

• Questions weren't difficult. I don't want to disclose the interview questions because I don't think it helps you or the company.   Answer Question

May 14, 2014 – Talent Outreach Manager

I'm sorry that things didn't go well from our end. We are in the process of creating an interviewer training and your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Whitepages in September 2013.

Interview

First round has a coding quiz test which consists of an Array hopper problem. Given 4 hours for the problem write the code and also unit test cases.
    It was pretty hard, not very easy question. The problem was to count the minimum number of hops by which you can go out of the array (i.e cross the last index).

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages.

Interview

Never apply this company. The recruiter send me online tests. I used 2-3 hours to write the code and send them the results including unit tests. Basic array hopper question and pretty straight easy. Later they send me a rejection e-mail. What kind of company is that??? They will reject even you finished and passed the online test!

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Whitepages.

Interview

I applied online and got an email asking me to do a coding challenge. I sent an email back accepting and asking for details. I didn't hear anything back.

Maybe a week later, I sent an email to see what was going on. They said they just forgot to respond. This time I was given the details I asked for. I took the coding challenge, emailed them the results and... I didn't hear anything back.

Maybe a week later, I sent another email to see if they got the results. A few days after that, I finally got an email saying I'd done well and they wanted to schedule a phone interview. I sent back details about my schedule and when we could do it and... I didn't hear anything back (seeing a pattern here?).

A week later, I sent another email asking if they still wanted to schedule a phone interview. They sent an email back saying it was scheduled for two days later - short notice, but ok, I still wasn't busy. Phone interview went through. Some questions about data structures. Hashes, trees.

A few days later, I got scheduled for another phone interview. They said this one would involve live coding over a shared Google Doc. My internet connection is garbage, so I had to find a private room of the local library so I could have a consistent connection for the interview. I was ready for the call. I waited. Ten minutes late. Twenty. At thirty, I sent an email asking if it was still on. To their credit, they replied right away, but the reply was that the interviewer was out of the office for the day and couldn't do it. I guess nobody thought it was important enough to let his appointments know.

At this point, I wasn't sure I wanted to keep in the applicant pool at all, but I thought "If this is how they handle things, how much of my competition could've gotten this far?" So we rescheduled the phone interview. I prepared to go to the library yet again.

This interview felt awkward. They wanted code for a server that would receive commands and run them, one at a time, in the background so that the server could still receive input. The problem description was poorly written and it took awhile for me to understand it. At first, I thought they just wanted a server that would process every incoming command concurrently as they came in. I was first told they wanted valid, compilable code, so I was going slower than I would've otherwise, having to use msdn to check that I was using the classes correctly. But it soon became apparent that they didn't actually care.

I would call the whole process "standard", except that they managed to forget me, lose my emails, or not call almost every step of the way. Undoubtedly the most incompetently handled interview process I've ever encountered.

Interview Questions

• ArrayHopper. Find the optimal number of hops to jump out of the array (or if it's possible at all). You start at index 0. From each position, you are allowed to hop however many positions right that correspond with the value in the index. So, if you are at index 2 and the value at index 2 is 3, you could jump to index 3, 4, or 5.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Whitepages in December 2013.

Interview

I applied via a job fair and the recruiter contacted me about several weeks later. First I got a call from the HR to talk about some general questions like why I want this job and what is white page doing and so on. Second round I had a technical interview which I felt it went so so. Later they sent me a notification that they want to pursue other candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

submit resume, contacted by hr, online coding test, hr phone interview, technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Lots of functional programming general questions, ruby, scala, non-sql database, jason,   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA) in November 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very disorganized. I contacted WhitePages after seeing their advertisement on my university's job board. They expressed an interest in interviewing me, and I started off taking their Array Hopper technical challenge, which lasted 4 hours. Because performance was consiered a factor, I wrote it in C. They also required unit testing, but I wasn't familiar with C's unit testing framework and I didn't have the time during the interview to learn it, so I wrote up a basic testing framework that tally's failed cases and could be switched on or off using a switch for the Makefile.

I thought that I didn't move forward because I hadn't heard from them for one month after that challenge. Then I was contacted saying that they never recieved my answer (which they did after I looked at my mail and their response), and I resent my code. They then said that I did well on the challenge and it was followed by a 1 hour phone interview. The phone interview was behavioral for 50 minutes, and the interviewer expressed strong interest in me. He then gave me a technical question in the last few minutes and rushed the explanation. The interviewer stopped me from completing my implementation, stating that it was already too complicated, but I had misunderstood the directions and I was solving a significantly more complicated problem. The interview ended with the interviewer having mixed feelings, but decided to move me onto the next interview, which was another 1 hour interview with someone else, this time completely technical. This next phone interview didn't go well and ended the interview process for me. I felt that the interviewer was cold from the beginning and I'm not sure what I did wrong to start the interview off that way. The interviewer started 15 minutes late, strongly made me second guess my implementation on all three questions again midway through my implementations, which again made me think that I was misunderstanding the requirements for the technical questions. I asked about the questions to clarify them, but the interviewer was a little reluctant to explain them further stating they were "straightforward". The interviewer ended the interview 10 minutes early.

I was told during the interview process that WhitePages isn't quite a startup and isn't quite a large company either. I had the distinct impression that this was a startup that failed or is failing. The whole process was disorganized, confusing, and at times unprofessional. I wouldn't recommend wasting your time interviewing for this company.

Interview Questions

• Given a string and a dictionary of words, find as many words as possible in the string. I'm not sure if I fully understood this question, because when I started I was told that the words could overlap, and then I was told they couldn't overlap later into my implementation.   Answer Question

Jan 27, 2014 – Talent Outreach Manager

Thank you for the feedback. The information is helpful as we are fine tuning our interview process.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Whitepages.

Interview

Spoke with multiple HR people during the process. Different HR people told me different things about the status of my application.

Interview Questions

• The question was known as array hopper and has been used for more than a year by WhitePages.   1 Answer