Whitepages Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 25, 2017

1. Featured Interview

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA) in September 2016.

Interview

Step 1: Coding Assignment

Step 2: First Interview -- this was a phone call, and not too difficult -- it's to see how well you logically solve through a problem.

Step 3: Second Interview -- this was another phone call, and a much harder data structures question. I am not sure how I answered, but it was definitely dynamic programming. Practice with Leetcode or Cracking the Coding Interview.

Step 4: On-site Interview -- they fly you out to Seattle, unless you live there. Several interviews are conducted to see if you fit in the role you are specifically applying for.

Overall, they are very transparent throughout the process and flexible around your time schedule.

Interview Questions

• Array Hopper, Dynamic Programming question, String question, HTML/CSS & JavaScript assignment, and Fullstack Drawing Board Question.   1 Answer

Dec 20, 2016 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello,

Thank you for submitting your thorough feedback, we are excited to see you around the office!

Best Regards,
    Conor Garside

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages.

Interview

I did the online assessment, and it was powered by Hackerrank. The question was not easy at all but it could be figured out. They gave you a lot of time for that.

Interview Questions

Whitepages Response

Aug 3, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

I appreciate you sharing your feedback, and that you felt you had enough time to complete the coding challenge. Although we didn't move forward this time I encourage you to apply again in the... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Emailed for Hackerrank. Passed their test cases and tested multiple scenarios with plenty of time to spare. Refactored code to make it readable. Got a rejection email a day later saying I didn't pass all their test cases....uncertain why.....problem was a standard DP. Guess they were looking for marginal improvements...

Interview Questions

Whitepages Response

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear you experience was a negative one because of the coding challenge. Our challenge is designed to be difficult, and it tests for not only correctness, but also structure, code... More

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

Great People, Experience and Company. I was originally referred to a different role within the company but quickly realized that my experience was not a great fit for that particular role. The hiring manager reached back out several months later with a new opportunity that looked to be a better fit. I applied and quickly moved through an initial phone call with the new hiring manager and then ultimately an on-site loop with the whole team. I met with about 10 people during the loop and had to prepare a presentation as part of the exercise that all applicants go through. Everyone I met with was very smart, professional, interesting and nice. I got a great sense of the company, products, culture and values and was very quickly able to assess my own fit in the company. Very quickly thereafter, I received an offer and happily accepted it!

Interview Questions

• I had to prepare an exercise that involved data analysis and a presentation of the results.   1 Answer

Aug 3, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Welcome to the team! Thank you for sharing your feedback, I'm happy to hear the experience was a great one.

Best,
    Amanda Moore

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA).

Interview

It began with an email from a recruiter asking to schedule a coding challange. They mention that it will last up to 4hr to complete the test. The coding challenge was through Hacker Rank.

Interview Questions

Whitepages Response

Hello!

I'm glad that you had a positive experience, despite the difficulty of the coding challenge. We would be happy to see your application again in the future so that you can give the challenge... More

Software Engineer - Front End Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages (Seattle, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

I was invited for an online test, after completing that, was an introductory call with a recruiter where I was told to sign an NDA (even for a call with the recruiter). On the day of the call, I get an email 2 hours before that the position has been filled and the call is canceled and they wouldn't be moving on with the process. Not expected from a company like Whitepages, although, later I heard that this was done before with other applicants. Every company makes sure it doesn't waste much time, so they should be respectful of the applicant's time as well.

Interview Questions

• By my opinion, shouldn't share the HackerRank question.   1 Answer

Hello,

I'd like to apologize again for the inconvenience of having your phone interview cancelled. The position had been filled shortly before we notified you of the cancellation, and we reached... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages in July 2017.

Interview

Recruiter will contact you with a general email and a link to their standard question at HackerRank.

Don't even bother doing it. They will take about a week to send you another generic rejection email without any feedback!

If a company does not respect candidate's time and do not provide a feedback, then I can imagine how well they will invest in their employees for their over all growth.

End of the day, it's about the culture of the company not the processes they follow.

Advice to recruiters: Rather than replying to this post and justifying what you always do, kindly review your processes and provide feedback. Assuming you already have some sort of evaluation of candidate's submission, it shouldn't be hard to convey a summary to the candidate.

Interview Questions

Whitepages Response

Jul 24, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. In regards to the coding challenge, we are happy to provide feedback to those who request it. Feel free to reply to your invitation to complete the coding... More

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages in June 2017.

Interview

I am very let down by the process. I applied online and got a response 2-3 business days later with a link to a Hacker Rank challenge that everyone else in the Glassdoor reviews has been talking about. The important part here is that I got a response mid-week. I haven't had time to do the coding challenge during the week so I had to push it off till the weekend. During the weekend I diligently spent 4 hours doing the coding challenge. Even though I roughly knew what to expect, there were a few curveballs in there. Biggest one of them actually being the HackerRank interface - that thing is a pain to work with. Setting up the I/O for the problem alone took me 20 mins of googling. Long story short is that I persevered and nailed the question. Two business days later I get a generic template email saying that the position has been filled and that they won't be moving forward with the process.

Think about this for a second - if they filled the role two business days after I submitted the coding challenge, that must mean that they have already extended an offer to someone when I applied and was sent the coding challenge. They were already waiting on a candidate to agree to their offer while still piping more people into their recruiting funnel. I get that the companies always want to keep their funnels moving but in this particular situation, I feel particularly screwed over. They did say that they will reach out "if a new candidacy opens" but I doubt that means skipping the coding challenge and going straight into on-sites etc. Plus how often does the timing of those things actually work out?

My advice to Whitepages - be more organized and don’t place applicants in the funnel when you are already waiting for someone to sign an offer for the same position. I personally do not see that as professional and to me it is a sign of a disorganized recruiter / organization. Additionally, over-communicating is always better than treating your applicants with generic template emails, especially when it’s really, really obvious that you messed up.

Thanks for wasting my weekend night Whitepages. Applicant beware.

Interview Questions

• Same question that everyone else has been given in the online coding screen.   Answer Question

Jun 8, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on the application process, and I'm sorry the timing didn't work out for this particular position. Our recruiting process and business needs can move... More

Front End Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages in June 2017.

Interview

Applied through LinkedIn job posting in June 2017. Standard interview process, they were focusing on data structure and algorithm. The first step was a phone screen and then received an online test on hacker rank.

Interview Questions

• It's a hacker rank test for 4 hours, regarding tree jumps.   1 Answer

Jun 20, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience. The coding challenge is an important step in our hiring process, and it's meant to be a difficult test of skill. While we didn't move... More

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Whitepages.

Interview

Received a coding challenge through HackerRank. I made sure I passed all the test cases and checked against a lot of custom test cases as well just to be sure that I had handled everything and the code was working perfect, very efficiently. But received a reject in just 2 hours saying it did not pass all the test cases. I am pretty sure that was not the reason. I had checked against all the test case there could possibly be and the code ran just fine.
     So if you guys are not serious about hiring - please do not waste the candidate's time by sending online coding challenges.

Interview Questions

Whitepages Response

Jun 1, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. The coding challenge is intended to be a difficult first step in the interview process for any candidate we are interested... More

Software Engineer Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Whitepages (San Diego, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I did Online assessment then get a call from the Engineer. The process is fairly east and the question is actually super easy. But, I was way too nervous, so I screwed up.

Interview Questions

Whitepages Response

Jun 9, 2017 – Recruiting Coordinator

Hi,

Thank you for submitting feedback. I am glad your experience was a positive one. It's great that you're aware of what got the best of you, and while we didn't move forward this time around, we... More