WorkSpan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WorkSpan Interview Questions

Interviews at WorkSpan

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Pretty terrible interview process. Started with a phone screen with the VP of Engineering, who didn't seem to know what was going on. He set up a technical phone interview with an engineer, who asked 2 questions. For what it's worth, the top tech companies I've interviewed with don't ask 2 in the span of an hour. In any case, I received 2 and completed them (barely, b/c of time and b/c the engineer asked me to actually code more efficient solutions after I told him what the algorithm would look like). I was sent a take-home assignment, which I thoroughly tested and worked on. I spent about an hour on it and then two additional hours writing test cases and neatly commenting and structuring my code. I was then sent a rejection without explaining anything. Tells a lot about the culture at WorkSpan, their employees, and the company itself.

Interview Questions

• They didn't make me sign an NDA but I'd still rather keep the actual interview question to myself. Study Data Structures and Algorithms   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at WorkSpan.

Interview

The interview process at WorkSpan is multi-step, beginning with an initial screening interview. The initial screening, although technical in focus, additionally consisted of several open-ended questions, which seemingly helped gauge, from a cultural perspective, how well the candidate might blend with the existing team. The second step of the process was a more exclusively focused technical interview, consisting of several very specific technical questions as well as a discussion of broader architectural paradigms, including their relevance and applicability within the organization. The process continued with a take home project, and concluded with a multi-part final interview. The final interview involved both a technical review of the project as well as an opportunity to meet several members of the leadership team, and discuss more of Workspan's process as whole. All in all, I found the WorkSpan's interview process very suitable, well-organized, and thorough. In particular, I appreciated how the interviewers made an effort to look beyond only technical acumen, and also evaluate whether I would be a fitting addition to the team from a personality and cultural perspective, as this also concurrently allowed myself to more clearly understand both the development process and broader engineering environment at WorkSpan.

Interview Questions

• Describe the evolution of Angular components and how they fit within the broader Angular architecture   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at WorkSpan in January 2019.

Interview

Initial phone screen to discuss the process and basic technical questions, then a coding challenge, then a final onsite; I did not make it past the coding challenge.

I enjoyed chatting with VP of Engineering Tim Wong. He was sharp and generous with his time on the initial phone screen, and I appreciated his willingness to provide brief feedback on why coding challenge submission did not advance me to the next round. I enjoyed and learned from the process.

Interview Questions

• Given sample input data, traverse a graph and clone nodes meeting certain criteria; insert clones and related links into the graph and return the full data set   Answer Question

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at WorkSpan (San Francisco, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I’ve had a part technical - part general work conditions bilateral interview with FE architect at the time, now VP of Engineering. We both figured out that we’ll make a fantastic match for both sides and we were right, as it was proven after.

Interview Questions

• What technologies I have used (and my teams used) in my previous companies and projects. What was my core specialty and competence in the stack my earlier teams worked in. What styleguide I have followed in my earlier work and projects. How would I implement svg imagery in the stack WorkSpan is using and if I would like to help implementing it.   Answer Question

Senior Director Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at WorkSpan (Foster City, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough and comprehensive. Initially a discussion with the hiring manager and then interviews by the key founders of the company. Within less than one week, I was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• You have worked for big companies most of your career - why do you want to work for a startup?   1 Answer

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WorkSpan (Redwood City, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied to several companies at a career fair, and WorkSpan was the first to get back to me. The phone screen questions were the usual for front end positions, and somewhat easier than what I got from bigger companies. However I had to do a take-home, which I worked really hard on, even though the recommended time was just a few hours. The on-site had 3 sessions as opposed to the all day grilling from some other companies, but was no stroll in the park. The team I interviewed for moved really fast and the vibes I got from the interviewers were that they knew what they were looking for and weren't playing games. I liked their style and took their offer.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly what I think of as JavaScript Olympics with basic algorithms, and I'm sure they switch it up often.   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WorkSpan (Remote, OR) in October 2017.

Interview

The complete interview process consisted of 4 steps in a span of ~2 weeks in the following order and overall it went pretty well.
    1. Phone screen -> 2. Technical interview -> 3. Test project -> 4. Test project review

The phone screen took ~30min and shortly after that we scheduled a technical interview.
    The technical interview was with one of their senior engineers and took around 1h. I can say it mainly consisted of two parts, a coding challenge followed up by a session of technical questions starting with common concepts from Algorithms, Data Structures to more specific for Web apps, JavaScript, Angular and etc. The interview went smooth, the interviewer was nice and gave me few hints while I was debugging my code.
    After passing the technical interview they sent me the requirements for the test project which had to be delivered in one week. It was a simple web app that can fetch and show some data on the UI with few features on top of that. It had to be implemented specifically with Angular and it took me 10-15h.
    The project review meeting took ~30min and was more in a form of code review.

Interview Questions

• Space and time complexity, DI and other Design Patterns..   Answer Question

Sales Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Daly City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at WorkSpan (Daly City, CA) in January 2019.

Interview

Had an interview with Jennifer. The interview didn't go well because I wasn't confident or prepared, non the less- she was super caring and respectful, she asked for my feedback and also gave very detailed actionable feedback to implement to land the next job offer at a different company. Afterwards I sent a thank you email for her time on linkdin and she offered once more to be of help with anything I needed in my job search.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?
      Why sales?
      Do you know what we do?   Answer Question

Customer Success Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at WorkSpan (San Francisco, CA) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview consisted of two phone screens and an in-person interview with multiple stakeholders (sales, product, BD, CS, and executive). The hiring manager was great. Based on the feedback I got after they rejected me (they didn't think I had experience leading early-stage teams, even though I've done that in two startups) I had concerns that someone in the company might be pushing to hire for personality rather than based on prior experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe your experience working with customers, in customer success, collaborating with other internal teams (with sales, product, etc.)   Answer Question

Full Stack Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at WorkSpan.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter who referred me into Workspan for a full time position. After a few phone calls, I was given a take home assignment to do. I did not pass one of their unit tests so I was rejected once I submitted the assignment.

Interview Questions

• No NDA, but I'd rather not discuss the take home assignment. Just make sure you test everything.   Answer Question