WorldQuant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

WorldQuant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2017

3.6

Trading Interview

Interview

Around two hours. Most of them are technical, range from programming questions, SQL, Statistics. Some resume questions. Also had some brain teaser. Firstly an a peer employee and then an director.

Quantitative Researcher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at WorldQuant (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

Unsurprisingly it took very long time to them to process the job application. After 3 months of application, I finally got in touch with recruiter for 2 technical phone interviews. The processes were pretty good.

Interview Questions

• Where in the earth or a sphere, you can return to the same place once you walk 1 mile to south, 1 mile to east and 1 mile to north?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at WorldQuant in November 2016.

Interview

I was asked about almost everything from Algorithm to Linux programming, Databases etc
    I haven't revised few concepts on Database and Linux.
    The recruiter will not tell you whether it will be a technical interview or Behavioural or just discussion. I was told that a person will speak to you.

Interview Questions

• 1. Discussion on my background. Projects I did in the past.
      2. Questions about MySQL and Cache.
      3. Given two arrays a and b find the intersection of these two arrays. Write code in python.
      - Won't run the code
      4. What is replication in Redis?
      5. Write a SQL query to find score and Rank in a table with columns id = [1,2,3] and Score=[5,7,5] output 5:2,7:1,5:2
      6. Then I was asked about source code management system. Asked to write a command to create a local branch.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at WorldQuant.

Interview

Met at a career fair at my university, had a nice chat and they scheduled me for a campus interview on the next day. Interview was a mini-quiz with multiple brain teasers. I got rejected the day after because I didnt get all of them right within the small amount of time I was given. Their engineer was friendly and interesting and I was sad I didnt go through to the next stage. I guess they want people to get all questions correct.

Interview Questions

• You have 2 red, 3 green and 2 blue balls. Whats the probability you choose 2 non blue balls consecutively?   2 Answers
    • Whats the probability the sum of two die is equal to 9?   1 Answer
    • You have 60 floz of a liquid mix and you have a ratio of milk to water of 2. How much water should you add to make the ratio of water to milk equal to 2?   1 Answer
    • You have 17 shares of IBM that cost you 720 to buy. You incur a loss off five stocks. What's the real price of one IBM share?   2 Answers
    • Write a program to print the contents of a matrix in a spiral order AND write a program to figure out the angle between an hour handle and a minute handle.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at WorldQuant in October 2016.

Interview

Went onsite after a brief campus interview. Met with about six different people, including HR and engineers. There was a mix of algorithmic, programming language, software engineering, and behavioral questions. Each interviewer had a specific area of questioning. The whole onsite process lasted about 4 hours and all took place in the same conference room. Some interviews were in person and others were through a video call system they use internally.

Data Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Old Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at WorldQuant (Old Greenwich, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

I have an all-day onsite interview for 9 rounds, 8 hours. The interview process is good, people over there are all smart and nice person, the office is good too. The HR is very kind, but they took a long time to make the final decision, about two weeks after the onsite interview.

Quantitative Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at WorldQuant.

Interview

Several Online Tests and followed by phone interviews. They are very nice responsive. The questions get harder as you level up. Most questions are tech based. Some behaviral questions too.

Interview Questions

• Basic Programming questions like linked lists, inheritance   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at WorldQuant (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2016.

Interview

Ask OOP, very basic uses, but may be ignored if don't pay too much attention on OOP. Not that difficult. Then asked algorithms and data structure. Need to be good at math.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at WorldQuant in July 2016.

Interview

A staffing company introduced me to the Company and set up and phone interview. The recruiting agent said that the phone interview will be one hour and half behavioral and half technical but no coding involved. But in reality it included coding. The person who called, introduced the company and the position and described the role and asked me if I'm interested. Then asked a little bit about my resume and asked what programming languages and other technologies I am familiar with. Then shared an interactive coding document with me and asked me write a program and gave me 15 minutes. After that, asked a Linux question.

Interview Questions

• Write a password generator that meets these four criteria:
      1- The password length is always 4
      2- The password should consist letters and numbers from {A-F}, {a-f} and {1-6} and pick at least one from each of these(randomly)
      3- No duplicate passwords generated
      4- The password is generated totally randomly
      2 Answers
    • Linux: Suppose that you have thousands of different files in a directory. How would you copy all the files with .html extension into a new zip file?   1 Answer

Data Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at WorldQuant (Stamford, CT).

Interview

They asked me tons of probability questions and programming questions. This was an operations/support role and the team lead is a fresher (although, he's a PhD) with no industry experience so doesn't really know what to look out for and how to interview for a support role.

Also, they call you in to the office, interview and drain you out for over 6 hours. So if you're going to their office, be prepared for that.

Interview Questions

• What is the best sorting algorithm.   1 Answer