WorldQuant Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
WorldQuant Founder & CEO Igor Tulchinsky
Igor Tulchinsky

Pros
Cons
  • Very difficult to express new ideas (in 3 reviews)

• no direct access to data, simulation results only (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Interesting, Challenging, and Fair Company"

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Old Greenwich, CT
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Old Greenwich, CT

I have been working at WorldQuant full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very fair and highly incentivized environment. Management aligns their objects well with employee compensation. Hands-off management approach. Well-established, but still growing. Work is intellectually stimulating.

Cons

As with finance/investment firms, there are high expectations on employee productivity - this works very well if you can meet expectations, but can be quite stressful if you don't.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with objectives. Maintain a consistent message. Keep compensation aligned with business and individual accomplishments. Grow intelligently.

2. "Summer Work"

Pros

Flexible for project selection and implementation

Cons

Communication was lacking at times

"Analyst"

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Greenwich, CT

I worked at WorldQuant (More than 5 years)

Pros

The talent level of quants is the best in the industry. The ability and quickness to open offices creates alpha that other firms cannot compete with. They are high on creating independence and thinking outside the box . Technology competes with the best firms out there.

Cons

Management is self centered and does an excellent job at talking behind each other's backs. A second tier HR department serves upper management to mask the cracks of inexperience and selfishness. Management has no experience in a compensation structure that will secure employee longevity and satisfaction . Their lack of seeing the future and being proactive will ultimately start to dilute the returns .

Advice to Management

An overhaul of most of the management team will give them the ability to stay ahead of their competition. The place is fragile and competitors are ready to pounce on the best talent. It's a a very tense environment with a very tense management team.

"Very bad culture"

Pros

autonomy and a lot of potential for upside

Cons

no supervision and learning but easy to get in the door.

Advice to Management

be more kind

"Intern"

Pros

Very smart people, mentoring, project based internship, good amount of independence, and a lot of opportunities to work on side projects and learn more about other areas of the company unrelated to your particular project.

Cons

none I can think of

7. "software"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in New York, NY

Pros

Many opportunities for starters, it is a good company overall

Cons

Culture may not good for new starters

Advice to Management

no, everything is good enough

"Very transactional environment"

Pros

I was a Quant Researcher at WorldQuant. The work was interesting, and the people there are fun to work with.

Cons

The Quota that you are expected to fill means that you can't have a solid understanding of the algorithms that you are developing. The bonus structure and the company culture in general is too transactional in nature.

Advice to Management

Foster a culture of cooperation and try to come up with incentives that require teamwork. If that is done than it will be more fun to work at the company.

"Very Negative Experience -- A Stifling Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Old Greenwich, CT

Pros

Excellent salary and health benefits package. Igor is very pleasant and appreciative of excellent work.

Cons

Expected to be available on company-provided BlackBerry 24/7 -- can never feel like you are NOT at work.
    Received my 24/7 BlackBerry on my first day before I was even shown my desk -- that should have been a clue as to the corporate values.
    Back-stabbing environment.
    Could not trust my own boss to have my back -- felt very isolated and unsupported despite working incredibly hard.
    No 401-k match when I was there -- that is almost unheard of in the industry.
    I joined the company with a very positive attitude, worked incredibly hard and felt excellent about my performance until the last month I was there...I left feeling deflated and beat up -- absolutely no morale-building when I was there, and in fact, it was an atmosphere of crushing one's spirits. Heads-down, no personality allowed. Just keep your mouth shut, your head down, and do your work.

Advice to Management

Since I left, several people who made my experience negative have been let go or for whatever reasons are no longer there (that includes a SR Manager, the Head of HR, and some lower level staff). That validated my experience, and I applaud Igor and the new Head of HR for making the decision to incorporate staffing changes. My advice would be to continue to monitor the personnel to insure that you have managers on board with good social and management skills; having sub-par managers creates a negative, low-morale and back-stabbing environment. I went into the company with an energetic, upbeat and positive attitude, and due to poor management of a select few, left feeling very bitter and abused. I would suggest there to be more work-life balance allowed -- expecting to be available 24/7 is unhealthy and leads to exhaustion and low spirits.

"Portfolio Manager"

Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Old Greenwich, CT
    Former Employee - Portfolio Manager in Old Greenwich, CT

Pros

An innovative firm that has upside potential to be a leader in the industry . The analysts within their departments are a tight knit family that create true alpha. Their continued global footprint makes it easier to find talent outside the US.

Cons

Half of management has no idea on how to run a business like this . Their vision is clouded by their own self centered thinking. In their minds , if the firm is doing well , then it's because of them. When there is underperformance, they are quick to point the figure at everyone else. HR has little to no understanding of what the employees want to make them happy and needs to be much more serious. A little less laughing by all of them and a little more focus on business initiatives would help.

Advice to Management

The firm is heading towards mediocrity and their needs to be less focus on the owner making all the money and an upgrade in management to survive the difficult years to follow. There is a chance of success , but I would put it at a low probability with the current structure in place.

"Excellent group of tremendous workers"

Pros

Excellent group of tremendous workers that rewards effort, devotion and ingenuity. Willingly incorporates and promotes people having (at first glance) irrelevant background if they are ready to prove their eagerness. Even if they obviously cannot bring lots of value on their second day of work -- the company knows how to evaluate how will they develop later.

Cons

Just as with any thing in life, everything has to be paid for. Lacking some (a lot of) knowledge means you have to pick it up when you are already on the way. If you cannot try really hard (which means doing tomorrow a thing you did not have any idea yesterday) you simply do not fit.