XL Construction Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at XL Construction

3.1

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chico, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at XL Construction (Chico, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

General experience in the construction industry (not required) but how you got into the industry and what aspects do you like. Overall team aspects and how well you work together and how to mitigate problems.

Interview Questions

• What role are you seeking in the Construction Industry?   1 Answer

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at XL Construction (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied and followed up with them. They got back to me within two weeks or so. They Emailed me to come in and interview. The interview was straight forward. I felt comfortable and really enjoyed it.

IT Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at XL Construction (Milpitas, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with HR, then on site interview with the Hiring Manager (CFO). A few days later, I interviewed with 3 key business leaders (CEO, HR Director, and Technology Operations Manager) for 30-60 minutes each. The dialog in my interviews were conversational mixed with unscripted questions. The leaders with whom I met were easy to talk to, quite genuine, and professional. The interviews seemed like a balanced mix of speaking and listening. I sent a thank you after a few days, then a follow up after a few weeks. Two additional follow ups 2-3 weeks apart resulted in a response that they selected a different candidate.
    Although I was not selected for the position, it was a positive experience and I was very impressed with the company, its leaders, and what I learned about XL's culture. Because they want to build on their positive culture, XL is diligent in vetting candidates thoroughly. I interviewed with the CEO for over an hour (stopped only because a meeting was starting our conference room), which made it apparent to me that he truly cares. From what I learned about XL Construction, if you have a chance to join their team, I recommend that do it.

Interview Questions

• Past project: What did you learn? Knowing what you know now, how would you change your approach?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at XL Construction in August 2014.

Interview

I was asked personal questions such as do I have any family in the area, why I moved to California, did I plan on starting a family and seeking out an open dialogue about my personal life that were not relevant to the position I was interviewing for.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to live across the country from my family?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at XL Construction.

Interview

Applied online got a phone interview three weeks later. Phone interview was about 45 min long. Typically interview questions. Actually enjoyed talking to the recruiter very polite and professional. However, the in person interview was not so pleasant. It was with two managers and both seemed stressed out, unhappy, depressed. It was more of a personality check then an interview. A lot of personal question. Even if job had been offered I would not take it for this particular position. Very negative vibes.

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at XL Construction (Milpitas, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

Normal interview in my opinion. I was one on one with 4 different gentleman of varying positions.There was one gentleman that seemed determined to press me and seemed a little degrading...other than that, the other 3 gentleman I spoke with were great. Seems like a good company, just tough to get your foot in the door...

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at XL Construction (Berkeley, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

Sat down with an engineer and was asked a serious of questions about my experience, my goals, and the company. Very straight forward interview, not too easy and not too hard. It is what you should expect from a first time interview with such a big construction company.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at XL Construction (San Jose, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Met with 4 Executive Managers in one day, individually. They ask your general interview questions. We talked and laughed and it felt more like talk with friends than an interview.

Interview Questions

• Where do I see myself in 5 years?   1 Answer

BIM Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milpitas, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at XL Construction (Milpitas, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

Job posted on LinkedIn. The selection process was handled quickly and directly (they called me on the phone to schedule the interview). Once at the interview I met with the HR director and a senior manager in the preconstruction department, and the conversation was very thorough, with dialog going both ways as we understood each other's current needs and desired direction. Following the interview, both interviewers kept me updated on the status of the vacancy. They ended up hiring someone else, but I appreciated the candor and responsiveness of both interviewers who followed up with me individually.