Xylem Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 30, 2017

2.8

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Xylem (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Short novel ahead. I applied through their website and was contacted by a Xylem HR rep a week later. I then had a phone interview with someone who had a thick accent making it hard to understand their questions or read the tone of the conversation. I was immediately able to tell how bored he was since this was rehearsed for him. I was emailed the next day to set up an in-person at their nice Mira Mesa facility to interview with the lead engineer and a test engineer. If successful I would've lastly meet the manager.

During the interview I was hit with the same disinterested vibe from over the phone, now in-person. While on the post-interview tour I saw the depressed atmosphere of their Wednesday. It looked like a camp with every tech looking away from me as I passed, in part to focus but almost in disinterest. Usually being focused is a sign of dedication but the few times that our eyes met or I was introduced I felt that this place would be a black hole with the possibility of losing track of the year. I could be reaching but this last observation was solidified when I was asked word-for-word "How do we know you will work for this company for at least 10 years?" The average employee age may not give a clear indication of company culture or turnover but I can confidently say it isn't a go-to place for young engineers or those just looking for a modern work environment. On a tangent, apparently speaking Vietnamese could be beneficial due to roughly 60% of the names or people I saw were Vietnamese or speaking it. After the interview I left a thank you email and a follow-up voicemail around the time I was told I would receive the decision. They had no interest in maintaining an open line of discussion and I didn't know I didn't receive an offer until about two months after this.

Xylem/Sontek-YSI should try to be courteous to their prospective employees. Make sure the description actually matches the job since they tried switching around the description and title afterwards, changing it to a testing and manufacturing position. Unfortunately some of the other reviews show that I'm not alone in my disappoint. Xylem, it's not your responsibility to lay down interviewees easy but it's still your obligation to let them know that they've been let down.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview was mostly resume questions and took just 20 minutes. In person was a 1 hour 30 minute interview where they quizzed me from telecommunications to basic circuit analysis. To be specific: RS-232, UART, C++ and C differences, write a print function, labview, multi-meter uses, spectrum analyzer, finding impedance, and lastly, look at a specific part of a schematic then tell them the function. This was interspersed with giving details about a memorable project and simple but overly complicated hypotheticals (e.g. the steps to finding something broken in an assembly line). The test engineer was trying to be complex with this last one but even the lead engineer looked away in frustration.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Xylem (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial phone interview from HR in Chicago. Then interview with local HR with an interview with the Senior Leadership team. Interview questions were around my experience and I did most of the talking. Very little from the interviewer on what my position would be since this was a position that was out of the norm of what the rest of the staff did. I had to travel to multiple sites for the interview but the Managers were very appreciative and happy that I could accommodate this request.

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Xylem.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a recruiter. She called me while she was in the car with her entire family on the way to go on vacation. We lost connection several times and she was frequently saying things to her kids in the car. It was a very unprofessional interview.

International Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Morton Grove, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Xylem (Morton Grove, IL) in February 2016.

Interview

After a brief phone screening I was scheduled to interview with 4 individuals: the CS manager, Supervisor; HR Director, and Purchasing Manger.

Each person was very personable, and I felt very comfortable and relaxed speaking with everyone, which is quite refreshing in contrast to feeling more or less interrogated during other interview experiences.

My interview went favorably, and I received an offer within 48 hours of leaving the office.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions:

Expound upon your experience.

Describe a time when you _____ (had to deal with a difficult customer, went above and beyond, etc).

What are your strengths/weaknesses ... How are you at multitasking ... How well do you adapt to change ... How do you handle stress ... Office Politics, etc?

Why do you want to work at Xylem?

Why should we choose you?
      1 Answer

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Xylem (Milwaukee, WI) in October 2015.

Interview

Started off with a general phone interview with HR. Got invited to do an onsite interview. Met with 3 groups of people, each group was made up of 2engineers. A couple of the groups asked technical questions, witch is to be expected in this field. We talked about company culture, products etc. I thought it was very professional and is what an interview should be for a skilled engineering position. It could be difficult if you don't really know your stuff.

Interview Questions

• They asked to describe what certain circuits did by looking at a schematic.   1 Answer

Customer Service Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morton Grove, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Xylem (Morton Grove, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, and was contacted by HR to schedule a phone interview within a few days. HR representative didn't call at the scheduled time, so called after 15 minutes past agreed-upon time. I received an apology and was told he "forgot." Was then scheduled for an in-person interview with four different managers over the course of three hours. There seemed to be quite a bit of disorganization in the process. The interviews themselves seemed to go well, and the standard follow-up "thank you" messages sent. Was enthusiastically told by HR that I would hear something soon. I have never heard back from the company at all (over three months), and attempts to follow up with the recruiter have gone unanswered. Overall, the company seems to lack real professionalism, and based on the content of the interviews, seems to also lack an understanding of their own technology systems used for support purposes. As an aside, the position still shows as open, but it would be nice to be at least notified if one did not get selected, especially after over three hours of interviewing.

Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Xylem in March 2015.

Interview

Very easy phone interview with brief discussion of technical projects. Single phone interview but I do not think this is standard. Discussed general engineering principles and familiarity of software.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Xylem.

Interview

Interview was scheduled with two days notice and concurrent an important meeting that seemed to distract interviewers. Met with four interviewers in three offices. The interviews seemed secondary to other concerns.

Interview Questions

• What do you hope to accomplish here in the next six months?   Answer Question

Electronic Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pelham, AL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Xylem (Pelham, AL) in October 2014.

Interview

Everyone who interviewed me took a lot of time out of their day to speak with me and answer my questions. The interview was very laid back / low key. I never felt like I was interrogated. They seemed to have respectable engineering lab spaces. Engineers are generally sitting in a cubicle environment. But it was a smallish team so it did not seem like there would be a lot of noise / distractions.

MBA Intern Interview

Interview

They had reached out to me through my graduate program. Very cordial and pleasant interview process. Told me about seven projects they had and asked me which ones, in what order, was I interested in. They looked for detailed responses as to "why". Second half hour was talking about the company and answering any questions I had.