Yammer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yammer Interview Questions

Updated Dec 4, 2017

3.3

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Yammer in November 2017.

Interview

Application:
    I submitted my resume online in the early October, and I received the phone interview invitation with other data scientist in the end of October (about 3 weeks).

Interview Process:
    The HR was very friendly and efficient, and had scheduled my first technical phone interview with one data analyst. My first interviewer was very friendly and nice. We had a great conversation. During the interview, this interviewer asked me one probability question, and then some hypothesized questions. These questions are not hard, just need to practice it. Five days after my first phone interview, I got another invitation for my second phone interview. This time, the interview question itself was also not hard, however, I cannot understand the interviewer's questions most of time. Both of us are not native English speaker, therefore, I had to ask the interviewer several times to repeat these questions.

Interview Questions

• First phone interview:
      A probability question: roll three 6-sided dices, the probability of three dices are all different.
      The hypothesized questions: There are two types of office layout designs (I kinda forgot what are these two designs, but something like one is opened and one is closed office), you want to know which design is better. How do you investigate and analyze it?

Second phone interview:
      The hypothesized question: I think I saw this interview question somewhere. I think someone had posted it too. This question is: if you are a manager in a grocery store, which is a branch in a chain store. If you found that some products were sold great in another store, will you increase the numbers of these products in your store? Why?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

After 1 month of being passed around to different unresponsive recruiters and hiring managers, I was finally given the take home challenge. The challenge contained three generic "write a function that does X" type questions. I finished the challenge in time and double checked that it met all the requirements. Shortly afterwards I received an email saying I was rejected and would not be able to receive feedback on my challenge.

Overall the entire process was uncoordinated, unprofessional, and (in my biased opinion) led to the wrong conclusion.

Product Manager Interview

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Yammer in December 2016.

Interview

The overvalue the time of their product manager and undervalue time of candidates.

I was contacted by recruiter and given a home work after phone screen. I hate companies when they do not even bother to do one phone screen with PM before giving home work. What if either one of the two parties realized it was not a good mutual fit after spending countless hours on home work.

Anyways I went ahead and spend considerable time on home work and sent it back to recruiter after a week. The recruiter did not get back to me for 2 weeks after that ( greet job showing some follow up to candidate who spend so much time on your home wok)

After 2 weeks I was set up for a phone screen with a PM. Asked me about my favorite app and then asked some random questions on why the app was built the way it was built.

Got a rejection after a week. Overall I felt I was not kept updated about next steps and process was too slow.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I went for a phone screen with the Director of Analytics.
    The questions he asked me didn't make much sense. It was all based on probability theory.
    After the phone interview, I didn't hear back. Nobody sent me an email.

Interview Questions

• What’s the probability that in a room full of k people, at least 2 people will have the same birthday?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yammer (Redmond, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

First I talked to a recruiter on the phone, after a simple personal screening phone call I received a homework, as they call it, to take home and submit when completed.

The whole process was pleasant and professionally handled. After submitting the homework I was never contacted again.

Interview Questions

• Homework Question:

You must choose between Medium or Twitter.

-Medium:

1. What do you think Medium’s hypothesis was for the feature and how do you think they measured results? How do you think they defined success before they shipped the feature?

2. Design an additional change to Medium that builds on the successful outcome of the feature you chose (include rough mocks if possible). Why build this change?

3. Based on your hypothesis and metrics from the first question, let’s assume the feature had failed. What would that tell you? What would you do next?

-Twitter:

1. What do you think Twitter’s hypothesis was for the group chat feature and how do you think they measured results? How do you think they defined success before they shipped the feature?

2. Design an additional change to Twitter that builds on the successful outcome of the group chat feature (include rough mocks if possible). Why build this change?

3. Based on your hypothesis and metrics from the first question, let’s assume the group chat feature had failed. What would that tell you? What would you do next?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted through email. The phone interview was explicitly set up for 4:00 pm PST (I'm on CST); however, the interviewer called at 2:15 PST. He apologized for calling 15 minutes late when he was calling almost 2 hours early! I was very disappointed that Yammer couldn't keep track of time zone differences especially when they asked for my availability based on Pacific time.

I thought interview went well but was never contacted afterwards (not even with a rejection). Yammer was extremely unprofessional by calling almost two hours early for the interview as well as not communicating with me afterwards. One would expect a company like Yammer could at least email a standard rejection letter to candidates.

Interview Questions

• Standard background questions as well as probability questions based on dice rolls.   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiter call, Phone Screen, 5 on-site interviews. All of the interviews took a similar format of asking some math and probability questions and then discussing various scenarios where data and measurements are applied to a situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in August 2008.

Interview

After the phone interview, which pretty much follows the structure you can find online on Medium, I was invited onsite. I spent the whole day, had about 9 or 10 interviews with groups of 1-6 people. However, the process was very friendly and positive.
    I was interviewed by product managers, UX designers, developers, statisticians, and finally VP of product. The questions were regular product management questions, like ones you can find in any book about the preparation.
    What is important, they try to understand how you think. I was asked many questions about modern trends in mobile development and understanding why developers made the product this way but no other. We evaluated different mobile apps, like LinkedIn and others. Be prepared, install and understand several.

Interview Questions

• Why app developers try to separate functionality and create different apps? Why LinkedIn created separate LinkedIn Job Search? What are the pros and cons of such approach?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Lots of interviews one after the other. Interview contacted by microsoft then location chosen as SF, then hired at Yammer as SF employee. Good experience thus far. Interview process was actually really smooth.

Customer Success Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yammer.

Interview

6 round interview process, they make you do a presentation in front of a dozen people on their laptops all messaging each other about you as the final round. It requires research on their product, ample prep and putting together a PPT. Very timely interview process involving ego-driven condescending pseudo intellectual 27 year old techies impressed with a stocked fridge and oblivious to the golden handcuffs. It was just an overhyped stale social app though. Also, after investing that much time into the process, was unimpressed they couldn't pick up the phone like an adult to say they weren't moving forward. They sent a generic email - not too classy

Interview Questions

• being questioned by several employees acting as skeptic customers in a role play scenario - to be expected, but they may just steal your ideas and presentation for future use. Not professional.   Answer Question