iHerb Interview Questions | Glassdoor

iHerb Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.7

Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iHerb.

Interview

Seemed like a bunch of them were just going through the motions and asked me irrelevant questions. Perhaps they had already decided who to hire? Nice office, I suppose. Could probably use more of the color green.

Agile Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iHerb.

Interview

Horrible! The communication was absolutely horrible with the recruiter at iHerb. I received an email asking to set up a phone screening, and quickly e-mailed back my availability. 2 days later...no response. So, I followed up. We set up a time for the following week during my lunch and no call. I gave him 15 min before sending him an e-mail and following up about our phone call. He responds about 10 min later saying he forgot to send out a calendar invite and asked if I'd be available later that day. At this point, my entire image of iHerb was tarnished. Taking the higher road I agreed to the later phone call and was told I'd hear back from him either the next day or the day after that. Well, it's been 5 days now and no word. Who in their right mind would want to work for a company so disorganized that they can't even make it to their own agreed upon interviews. Definitely was a blessing in disguise.

IT Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iHerb (Irvine, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was exceptionally straightforward! I spent some time on a phone screen and was contacted later that day to set up a in-person interview. I came in to interview with HR Manager and the hiring manager. Came back for one final interview with a panel of team members. Michael M. was really helpful in the whole process!

Interview Questions

• Describe how you handle a diverse group of team members.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iHerb (Irvine, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fantastic. The recruiter, Michael, was the best recruiter I have ever worked with! He was professional, attentive, and kept me informed of their process every step of the way. It was clear to me he cared about finding the right person for the position, both in terms of skills and in terms of fit. The team I interviewed with were also professional and enthusiastic. They asked challenging questions in a welcoming way. It was a great experience. The process for me consisted of a recruiter screen, a Skype interview, and an onsite interview.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iHerb.

Interview

Applied through their company site, I have to say this is probably the nicest recruiter that I met so far. The recruiter contacted me the day after and scheduled me for a phone interview, just to go over the typical projects past experiences. Couple hours after the phone interview, I was scheduled for an onsite interview right away again this recruiter works really fast!

As far as the onsite interview, it was pretty straight forward typical whiteboard algorithms and questions about past work experiences/challenges that I have faced. Overall I never felt pressured or anything.

Interview Questions

• Ways to optimize a generic web api system that suddenly will now process 10x more input data   Answer Question

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iHerb (Irvine, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by Michael Mandell about a week after I applied online. We had a 30 minute phone conversation in which we discussed my resume and projects I've worked on. I was also able to learn more about the company during my conversation with him.

I had two on-site interviews afterwards, one with the Director of New Technologies and another with the team lead the position would report to. Both people were kind and incredibly intelligent and I genuinely enjoyed discussing various topics with them. During one interview, they helped me figure out a better way to do one of the project I've worked on, which was really awesome! I also met Michael in person before one of the interviews and he showed me around the office.

Throughout the process, Michael promptly informed me on what the next step was so I was never left in the dark. He was always responsive, both email and phone, and kindly responded to any questions I had which lessened the anxiety I usually feel during an interview process and helped me focus on the interview itself. He is very easy to talk to and made the whole experience a pleasant one.

Vice President Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at iHerb.

Interview

This is a company that has lost touch with the fact that interviews go both ways.

Though everyone I spoke with at iHerb was courteous and professional, the interview process was disorganized and their "recruiting effort" was virtually non-existent. For a VP-level role, this was shocking. During the course of initial conversations leading up to and including an in-person interview, they made no effort whatsoever to promote the company or team as an attractive place to work.

It's not that everyone I spoke with didn't seem neutral/somewhat positive about working for iHerb, what they're building or doing, or the prospects for the Vice President role in question, its that they didn't bother to enumerate, or share, any pride or positivity about the mission of the company. When I asked what the mission of the company was, as described in their own words, each person I spoke with listed several buzzwords ("agility", "excellence", "growth") or dodged the question entirely. I interpreted the absence of any apparent pride for working there as a negative reflection of the broader culture at iHerb, and chose not to pursue the role further.

This experience was in stark contrast to every other VP/CXO interview that I've ever had over the last 20 years where talent managers understand that the interview process is a two-way process and both parties must put effort into impressing one another.

In the end, our expectations of each other as a candidate and a company were not aligned (my experience, their needs in the role, and cultural fit) and that was clear to both parties. I believe we all left the discussion in a friendly and respectful manner. That said, if you're looking for a "mission-driven" culture to join, this does not appear to be one.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions I was asked as a VP candidate were challenging or interesting. I don't think they knew how to properly interview for this role.   2 Answers

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at iHerb (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The process was fine but not sure what they were truly looking for, there just was not much substance, I should have looked over some of the past interviews reviews and would had a better idea but to be honest I would have just not interviewed and just would have passed on the opportunity, The VP of Operations left the company after a about a year in that position, this should have been a sign.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at iHerb (Irvine, CA).

Interview

I recently applied for a job at iHerb. It started out great, an in-house recruiter called me and after a quick phone screen we set up a in person interview shortly afterwards.

I went in for the interview during my lunch break and the recruiter toured me through the facilities before the actual interview. He said that they 'moved fast' and were going to respond within two days whether I had made it through or not.

The interview was a panel of interviewers asking book knowledge questions and white-boarding. They first asked me about the nature of my job, what I do, what I develop with, what types of technology I'm using, can I give examples of how I use them, etc etc. First part went well.

Then one of the interviewers sat and read book knowledge questions off of his laptop (i.e. 'what are the three defining characteristics of OOP?'). It seemed a little strange that they expected me to have dry fact answers to questions that they couldn't go through the trouble of dry fact remembering. Additionally, most developers don't usually go off of book knowledge (I just asked our Lead Dev what the three defining characteristics of OOP are and he shrugged). I've asked around a lot, and barring intro-level developer positions, most of the higher level interviews don't involve term definitions. Second part of the interview felt unprepared, and it felt like the panel member was doing his best to make a good show to the other panel members.

Third part involved algorithms, which was incredibly enjoyable. I was given questions that were a little out of my range, but it happens a lot at interviews, in order to see how the interviewee works and thinks through problems under pressure situations (like an interview, go figure). Two of the panel members actively discussed ideas and thoughts with me on efficiency, data structures, different types of loops, etc. Third guy who read the book questions off his laptop? Silent. Most interviewers forget that an interview works both ways.

Interview over. They shook my hand and thanked me for coming out.

It's been near two weeks since then and I haven't heard a peep out of the recruiter. Promises or not, an in-person interview usually warrants some sort of feedback. The interviewee took time to be seriously considered for a job. I sent follow up emails to the recruiter with hardly a reply back. They already backed out on their promise to return feedback, seemed ill-prepared for an interview (at least 1/3 of them), and have left me dangling after having given them an hour of my time, and more of preparation.

This is my first interview review. I'm now considering two job offers in the area after having gone through close to ten in person interviews. This is the only place that has stone walled me without reply. Fair warning when you apply.

Interview Questions

• What are the three defining characteristics of OOP? (filling out a mandatory input)   1 Answer

Database Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at iHerb (Irvine, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interview process was fast and the offer was faster. Good communication and fast decisions speak volumes about an organization. I spoke to 5 people in one seating, took a tour of he building, and I was sold.

Interview Questions

• 1/2 technical and 1/2 related to why I left previous jobs   Answer Question