Senior SQL Database Administrator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Senior SQL Database Administrator Interview Questions

Senior sql database administrator interview questions shared by candidates

Top Interview Questions

Sort: Relevance Popular Date

We have data that gets loaded once a week. With that in mind we have an application that clients enter search data in to and then SQL has to dynamically build a statement that has 25 different data points/relationships. It works fine, but takes upwards of 30 seconds to return the data to the client. You can not change the existing schema, but you can however add to it. Indexes are already present and optimized on all the different tables. What could you do to make this process much faster??

1 Answer

Without being able to restructure the existing schema your only choice is to de-normalize the data. When the data gets loaded on that weekly schedule, also build a flat table so there are no relationships being built.

Detail what occurs during a DBCC CHECKDB command. In hind site this was rediculous because the DBA who interviewed me had turned off all database consistancy check jobs on all customer servers because he didn't understand what the previous DBA had done. It would up being an example of customers paying for something they weren't getting.

1) Are you willing to sit in a meeting to help find out why code is running fast? 2) If a VM went down, are you willing to help solve it with sysadmins? 3) Are you willing to work with Microsoft products not related to SQL Server?

I provided example questions in the body of my review/interview experience

Describe how you would handle a table with an INT IDENTITY primary key that is full and needs to be changed to a BIGINT, online

Given two tables and a query that joins them, design an optimal index strategy

Upper management shold get a clue about why it's taking them so long to find a Sr SQL DBA (6 months)

Cluster environment experience

1 Answer

Describe how you would approach common performance issues with SQL Server

110 of 10 Interview Questions