AAR Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
AAR Chairman and CEO David P. Storch
David P. Storch

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • its like family, I am a temp but all the people I work with treat me as I am family it's a great place to work, I hope to get hired full time (in 15 reviews)

• AAR has a great work environment with cooperative team environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • ve heard remarks from upper management that are borderline harassment and unappropriated for a workplace (in 17 reviews)

• low pay compared to major airlines (in 13 reviews)

"Admin"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palm Bay, FL
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Palm Bay, FL

I have been working at AAR part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

I have seen nothing ton contrary to what my Pro's have been

Advice to Management

keep up the good work and don't loose the culture

May 8, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you, & let's keep 'em Flying! G-Man

2. "Operations Manager"

I worked at AAR full-time

Pros

AAR has a great work environment with cooperative team environment. Good benefits package to include but not limited to 401k, tuition reimbursement and full medical, dental and vision package. Structured hours. Training and mentor opportunities.

Cons

There is not enough room for growth. Jobs are contract oriented, so stability is determined by the availability of contracts.

May 22, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

THX, & let's keep working to delight Customers! Blue skies, G-Man

3. "Overwork Understaffed IT Department"

I have been working at AAR full-time

Pros

Wood Dale is a beautiful facility. The spent alot of money renovating the building.

Cons

IT Department has been understaffed for years. They won't hire needed personnel and would rather overwork their current employees.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on what you need.

May 22, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

5/22/18 UPDATE, as had the opportunity to visit with Kevin (CIO). Having such a spirited, entrepreneurial culture, it's pretty cool that we get to work so many dynamic items. Of course that rolls... More

"Proud to call AAR, my employer"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at AAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely intelligent coworkers, opportunity to advance, ability to interact with senior leadership, world class facility in Wood Dale.

Cons

I haven't experienced anything close to a "Con"

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

May 1, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you for the review, & let's keep 'em Flying! Blue skies, G-Man

"bad company"

Current Employee - Quality Inspector in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Quality Inspector in Miami, FL

I have been working at AAR full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the only good thing is that they pay for your school.

Cons

very very very poor management.
    pay low!!!
    you are just a number.
    you have to be family or friend to be able to grow up.
    they expect you to work 24/7

May 11, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

Continuing your education/tuition reimbursement is definitely robust across all the MRO stations, including your MIA hangars. Thank-you for signaling that for sure. Making a tight turn into overall... More

6. "A good start point"

Former Employee - A&P Mechanic in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - A&P Mechanic in Miami, FL

I worked at AAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Good crew members

-Schedule flexibility (depending on team leader)

-Great place to learn. The fellow mechanics have no problem working with you and teaching.

-Great HR dept.

-Advancement is available (as far as pay raises / position climbing, up to a point), and rather easy to accomplish.

Cons

-Failing Equipment

-Shop, as a whole is worn and needs serious upkeep to the doors, equipment, etc (but, to their credit, they are slowly making changes)

-Management, if they don't know you, they aren't interested in your feedback. While this varies from one project manager / team leader to another; this "i don't know you, so you know nothing" outlook is generally the same for 75% of the managers and leads.

-Bad Coordination and Communication between managers and teams.

-Competitive environment, not co-operative (between teams)... Crew 1 members will help other Crew 1 with aircraft one, but Crew 2 can fend for themselves in the eyes of Crew 1, even if and when Crew 1 is idle and available to help. It's largely a "not my job" mentality. It SHOULD be "many hands make light work". Not so much a problem with the shop itself as much as the typical employee.

-Not enough equipment (Mainly because the failing equipment finally broke due to co-worker incompetence, or it being misplaced)

-If there is no work, you will be sent home (If Airplane 1 is done, and there's no new airplane for crew 1 to work on, crew 1 is sent home. If Airplane 2 is being worked on by Crew 2, crew 1 can't work on it, because that's the 2nd Crews aircraft.

-If i finish my job faster, there's no reward for it. It's actually a risk to me and my crew. If Aircraft 1 finishes a week early, then all the crew members who worked on it are sent home to wait for new work.

-Nepotism is rampant. It's 100% who you know, not what you know. Team Leader and Project Manager favorites get away with xyz, at the expense of others.

-Low Pay. This may be more so an issue with Tri-County as a whole. Overpopulated areas tend to pay less due to having increased supply of workers to pick from. Why pay person A $25/hr when i can pay person B $20/hr

Advice to Management

-Maintain Equipment. Staff may or may not tag it, but i've seen managers remove the tag and say "just get it done".
    -Have proper accountability as far as the shop goes. Don't yell at person A for using a damaged forklift, yell at person B for breaking the forklift in the first place
    - Incentives are needed, badly. If crew 1 finishes their aircraft a week early, they are sent home for a week without pay. This promotes "stretch out my job, so i have a job" mentality.

May 1, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you for your review & input. Blue skies, G-Man

"Managment is the major downfall of this company"

Current Employee - A&P Lead in Rockford, IL
    Current Employee - A&P Lead in Rockford, IL

I have been working at AAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to get experience.

Cons

Be prepared to take on everyone elses job, responsibility, and take the blame for everything.

Advice to Management

Get everyone on the same paige before giving direct orders. Ask your lead before firing his/her mechanics.

May 12, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

Good copy friend.

Blue skies,

G-Man

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at AAR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

AAR's staff members are very supportive and resourceful. When it comes to #DoingItRight, AAR truly exemplifies great leadership and values their core competencies. AAR is an entrepreneurial company that always wants to be the best in the Aviation industry. AAR has a good balance between work and social life as well.

Cons

Hiring process may take longer than expected, however, management is aware of the process and exciting changes are in action!

Mar 23, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you for your post, & appreciate the input around hiring. With aviation, & the criticality of what we do, sometimes the runway can be a little longer, yet, as we all know, innovation is in the... More

9. "Director of Operations"

I worked at AAR full-time

Pros

Growing company, ambitious plans in the MRO sector

Cons

Politics, unprofessional or poor skill lvl employees left in place due to politics. Pay can be low for junior.

Advice to Management

Properly access employees - give them training needed or let them go. Don't play politics, deal by facts.

Apr 4, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

Got it, & thank-you. Spot-on regarding MRO growth, as Company has really hit the after-burner, pushing past 5.5m hours. Comp is always dynamic (especially at the beginning), yet plenty of... More

"Recruiter"

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Wood Dale, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Wood Dale, IL

I have been working at AAR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

• Work life balance is awesome! Goes without saying, AAR values all their "Aviation Athletes"
    • Management and co-workers are very transparent and supportive
    • As an Aviation Support Company, we are able to work with the most innovative tails in the world!! i.e. Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier, Embraer, & many many more!
    • Fellow Millennial Talent Base has been coming in waves!!
    • AARs Stock has continued to grow and grow!!

Cons

• The onboarding process can take a few weeks. (However, the company is aware and is attempting to streamline for the future. Exciting Stuff!)

Advice to Management

• Keep up AARs stance forward!!

Side note, a lot of my fellow millennial teammates are quite excited to work under the CEO "Elect" John Holmes. #WorkAsOne

Mar 13, 2018 – Director of TA Strategy

Thank-you for your review. Blue skies!