AARP Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
AARP CEO Jo Ann Jenkins
Jo Ann Jenkins

Pros
  • Great mission, work life balance and feel good company (in 45 reviews)

• A very professional environment with great benefits (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Decision making is sometimes slow (in 12 reviews)

• As an intern I was privy to many of the structural problems with AARP which discourage me for ever consider applying for full time work (in 9 reviews)

1. "EA supporting SVP - PPI"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall the benefits, bonuses and salary is great at AARP. I love the mission statement, the core business and values, and what this organization does for the 50+ community. Free education at any accredited university or college and great people to work with.

Cons

The executive I supported is very high maintenance and will throw you under the bus. I was her fourth assistant in two years. She's had three more since I left in mid summer 2016. She's extremely busy and travels a lot, but will not spend enough 1:1 time with her assistant. She's very forgetful yet demanding, won't listen to reason, and will not include or inform you about important information. You may lose a few skill sets, too as you will only be utilized to schedule meetings and travel. I never used PowerPoint or Excel, but was asked if I knew the software during the interview.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at the millions of dollars this executive brings into the organization and deal with the fact that she's had more than five (5) assistants in two years.

"Aging but pays well"

Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Operations Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good base pay, room for development.

Cons

Not much innovation, lots of lifers who drag down the culture.

"Great place to learn and execute"

Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Vice President in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salaries, day to day work, contribute to a good social cause of helping people age with dignity and purpose

Cons

Very political and hard to get things done in the matrix-ed environment. Lot of favoritism.

"Financially Healthy But Otherwise Dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pros include the organization is financially healthy and has a worthwhile mission, employees who are among the most passionate I have ever worked with and are committed to the mission, and generous benefits.

Cons

The cons are that the organization is slow and bureaucratic (and quite dated in its management practices), hierarchical and fear-based with an emphasis on a command and control management philosophy, and does not value human capital or the capacity to learn. Also, career progress seemingly entirely depends on who you know.

Advice to Management

I stopped giving advice to management (e.g., via survey and employee focus groups) because it is largely not a good use of time. However, in the past year or so there seems to be a higher caliber of senior leadership being hired at the parent organization (not the subsidiaries) and I would advise management to continue its progress in hiring for competence.

""...excellent experience!""

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Harrisburg, PA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Harrisburg, PA

I worked at AARP (More than 3 years)

Pros

"..this program became available to me at a very pivotal point in my life and ability to work to support myself! I will be forever grateful for them and the work/career experience that they allowed me to acquire!"

Cons

The only one is the fact that you can only be on the program for 3yrs.!

Advice to Management

None at this time!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, up to 5 weeks paid vacation, 2 weeks caregiving leave, 48 hours for to volunteer. Wonderful mission and great co workers

Cons

The commute to downtown DC can be difficult

"A company that has really lost its way"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Systems Administrator Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, generally good working environment at the team level

Cons

Unclear focus and goals, often difficult to connect worker-level effort to larger effort of organization

Advice to Management

Decide whether AARP is an advocacy organization for older people or whether you really believe that people need to come to AARP for advice on how to live their lives. One leads to success, the other not so much.

9. "AARP is pretty darn decent"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A very professional environment with great benefits. A pension, 401K, among many other wonderful employee benefits. Very rare to I experience any hostility in my work environment, such as yelling, cursing, bullying. Additionally, in the downtown DC area, there are many decent things to do during lunch break! Salaries are competitive.

Cons

AARP, is very bureaucratic and takes a long time to make decisions, which decreases opportunities for innovation. They have a propensity for scope creep during IT projects. Frequent internal "reorganizations" resulting in confusion, chaos, and loss of intellectual resources. Lack of promoting within the organization

Advice to Management

Promote from within, and slow the pace of re-organization!

"Loved my time there, despite some administrative challenges"

Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC

I worked at AARP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fabulous coworkers; a feeling like you're actually helping the greater good; opportunity to interact with folks across the association; favorable base compensation compared with other nonprofits.

Cons

Annual merit increases are barely at cost of living increase; minimal opportunity for advancement--the organization needs more defined career pathing; when promotions are available employees are forced to go through an extremely rigorous hiring process with multiple rounds of interviews and even if one does get a promotion the maximum increase permitted was 10%.

Advice to Management

Define career paths; allow individuals to be promoted for merit and accomplishments; allow larger raises when individuals are promoted--generally 10% isn't worth the additional work required.

11. "Absolutely a great company to work for - great mission statement and very professional atmosphere..."

Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at AARP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Professional organization always been focused on it's main mission statement....

Cons

there is truly nothing negative I can say about the Association - maybe traffic in DC...

Advice to Management

keep up the good work !!!