AARP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 2, 2017

2.7

Business Optimization Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online, had a preliminary interview phone call where I talked to the manager about my resume, and general desires to work at AARP and the position. Then I came in for an in-person interview. It was divided into three parts. First I met with the Business Optimization team, and discussed my fit for the position in more detail and my future professional ambitions. Second, I met with 2 managers, who explained to me the projects the team works on and their aims, and they wanted me to pinpoint my past experiences that empower me as a strong candidate. Last part was just meeting with two other heads to discuss any final concerns, etc. Overall, great experience - more like a discussion than being grilled.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for AARP; Why do you want to go into consulting; How would the skills that you obtained from your past internship at --- help you in this position?   Answer Question

50+ Market Research Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at AARP in March 2017.

Interview

Applied online through AARP's website in February 2017. The organization reached back to me late March 2017 for a phone panel interview with the market research team. Ultimately withdrew application upon receiving an offer from a different organization.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in marketing research?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you were a leader of a project or a group? What were the results.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you were tasked with planning a project? How did you go about planning and what were the results.   Answer Question

Digital Strategist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC).

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within 10 days for an initial phone screen. That went well, and they scheduled me to come in for an in-person interview with 2 people within the week. The in-person interview lasted about an hour and included set questions but was also conversational. I was provided with benefits information before the interview as well. Throughout the process, everyone was friendly and helpful. After the interview, I followed up with my HR contact a couple times, but never heard back about the status of my application (it's now been about a month since the interview). This greatly surprises me, as up until that point the contact was good about communicating with me. Because of this, I will think twice about applying at such an organization again.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of the more stressful times in your life and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AARP.

Interview

I had a panel interview with two of the vice presidents for the department I applied to, it was very open ended with situational questions, like how I would react if something specific happened at work, or if the boss was difficult, how I would prioritize etc.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you knew you were right and your boss was wrong on an issue, would you confront him/her?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AARP.

Interview

The interview process is in 3-4 parts. The first interview is a brief walk through your résumé. The second interview is a lengthy phone interview with a direct manager/state director. The next interview is a panel interview of 5 people with a 30 minute exercise involved. The final interview was another, albeit more brief call with the state director. Very lengthy, and anxiety building process.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time when you failed in your previous positions.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at AARP.

Interview

Recruiter conducts phone screening, basic questions such as describe how your experience fits the position needs, etc. After phone call, you move to group interview and hiring manager. Usually takes 3-4 interviews before job offer. You need to negotiate hard on salary because once you are in, it's difficult to get a raise. It was a very long and drawn out process.
    AARP uses behavioral interviewing.

Manager of Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

Interviewed with a VP and a SVP. The interview was a one on one format. It was a very laid back interview with a lot of probing questions. The questions from the VP were very detailed and required that you pay close attention that was being said.

Interview Questions

• What are some qualities of a good manager and what do you do on a daily basis to exemplify those qualities?   Answer Question

Digital Team Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in March 2016.

Interview

The interview process is basically a personality interview that isn't particularly well planned. They do focus on some questions about how you would address specific problems, but aren't really prepared with follow up questions or a specific style that they would like. It was all a bit disorganized several people were late to the interview at their specific times and some repeated questions that had been asked. More than anything they left me with a bad impression of professional standards and ability of the people for whom I would be working.

Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at AARP (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I had an initial phone interview with HR. They got back in touch via email and said I was one of the finalists and arranged another interview, this time with the supervisor. They provide a list of questions in advance of the supervisors call where I had to talk about various experiences and how they would benefit them. After talking with the supervisor, he said they would get back in touch. He did, via email.

Interview Questions

• What was one of your biggest projects and how did you get the team involved?   1 Answer

Livable Communities Intern II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in February 2016.

Interview

Walk through your resume (on phone)
    Some general talking about AARP and how I fit....
    Very casual and friendly
    Went on for about 45 minutes
    I described the projects I worked on that align with the internship requirement