AARP Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at AARP

2.7

Sort:

Policy Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at AARP.

Interview

I was called for an interview not long after I applied for the position. The interview was over the phone with AARP's HR Director, and it was very straightforward with no surprises. It was actually a pleasant interview. They requested writing samples and I forwarded them along. Currently waiting to hear back about the next step.

Interview Questions

• I have followed up with the Director but have not heard anything from AARP since my interview last month.   Answer Question

Policy Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in May 2008.

Interview

I applied via the web, sent in a cover letter, resume, and writing sample. I was contacted by the recruiter to gauge my continued interest and set up an interview with the hiring manager. I went in for the interview where I spoke with senior experts on the team.

Interview Questions

• Presented a research scenario and asked me to describe how I would go about starting a paper on the topic.   Answer Question
    • Specific questions about size and complexity of datasets used.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not need to negotiate--my salary request was within the range allocated for the position.

Social Media Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Lansing, MI) in April 2013.

Interview

I was recommended by a friend. I emailed the person hiring my position, sent a resume upon request and then set up an interview. The interview was in a conference room with both my direct boss to be and her supervisor. The interview was average, not too formal. The lead in the interview asked about my experience and qualifications. He later asked if I had been New Media Drivers Licence certified. I had not, but was able to fit it into my schedule asap.

Interview Questions

• What kind of information do their audience like best from the company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There wasn't much negotiation in the beginning. After starting and seeing what I needed to do and how I could be doing that, I eventually asked about spending less time in the office and more time at home. They were not very fond of the idea because the state director liked to see people in the office. I was able to spend a few more hours at home than in the office in the end, plus weeks that I was very busy with school I was able to work completely from home. This was only about two times though.

Channel Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at AARP.

Interview

Hiring is long and extremely complicated. The HR department is pretty incompetent so many people come in through friends or as contractors.

Interview Questions

• What is the lowest salary you will accept?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Converting from contractor to full time was a complex negotiation

Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in April 2018.

Interview

I applied online. Two weeks after applying I was notified via email by an AARP recruiter asking me to schedule a phone screen, which I did. Two weeks after the phone screen I was asked to come to the office for an interview, which I did. At that time I was told there were five candidates being considered for the position and I would be notified in a week--either way if I had advanced in the process or not. The AARP screener resigned his employment and a different recruiter contacted me a week after I was suppose to hear either way to say he was overseeing the process moving forward. The process seemed terribly unorganized, which left me feeling uneasy about what employment would be like at AARP and if I should remove my name from consideration? After I left a voice message and an email I was (two weeks after my interview) notified that the position was filled with another candidate.

Interview Questions

• Basic behavioral questions. I was 3-5 questions during the screening and 8-10 questions during the interview.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in May 2016.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by their recruitment team a few weeks later. Met with the team once and with the program director once as well. The recruitment officer was very good, he shepherded me through the whole process and even worked around an international trip I had scheduled between in-person interviews. The job looked very good and the interview process was efficient and pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions. How have you dealt with difficult situations, people, challenges at work etc.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at AARP (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

A colleague of mine worked in the international office over the summer. She recommended me for the position. All I did was send my cover letter and resume over and was quickly invited to come in for an in person interview. During the interview we briefly went over resume and I offered the position on the spot. I have been working there two months and love the organization, the chance to go to the UN, and the change to write memo and plan events.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Philadelphia, PA) in April 2015.

Interview

Fair, asked normal behavioral interview questions and inquired about my interests. Interviewer wanted to know what I could bring to the company. Also, I was asked about the company background. As well how does the internship benefit/align with my career goals.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phrase.

IT Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at AARP (Washington, DC) in January 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. I applied online and received a call from an AARP recruiter a few days later who did an initial screening. Second interview was on the phone with the Director this position reported to. After that phone interview was an in person technical interview with the team leads of the team I was applying to. Lastly was a phone interview with some of the business customers our IT team supported, this was to make sure I was a good fit for our customers.

Interview Questions

• The team was very knowledgeable/technical so there was no bluffing my way through the technical interview. They basically started out with the most difficult questions first. I actually liked this method as it proved to me the team knew what they were doing.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at AARP (New York, NY).

Interview

Received email asking to schedule a phone interview, scheduled phone call, got phone call interview the next week, and offer letter in the following two weeks. Overall, it was a very smooth and relatively easy process.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you solved a problem when working in a team.   Answer Question