ABF Freight Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
ABF Freight CEO Judy R. McReynolds
Judy R. McReynolds

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Pay and benefits are outstanding and work is generally stress free (in 20 reviews)

• Best place ever to work for on the trucking bussines good pay and benefits can get better then this (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours with no regard to employee morale or fairness (in 32 reviews)

• Work life balance can be an issue if you let it, otherwise it's a great place to work (in 8 reviews)

1. "Driver/Dockworker"

Current Employee - Driver/Dockworker in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Driver/Dockworker in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Laid back, Good atmosphere in Chattanooga anyway

Cons

Unorganized, hours/shifts, Terminal Located in the hood.

Advice to Management

None

"Service Center Manager"

Current Employee - Service Center Manager
    Current Employee - Service Center Manager

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Highly invested in training programs in both operations and sales. Plenty of room for advancement. Recent reorganization has removed silo's and allowed the company to retain a horizontal organization approach.

Cons

First year without vacation, certain positions require the employee to stay constantly connected through email (adequately compensated though).

3. "New hire"

Current Employee - City Driver in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - City Driver in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, overtime after 8 hours, Union, Medical dental benefits.

Cons

Training, older equipment for dock workers and city drivers. 30 day probation.

Advice to Management

Interact more with workers let them feel as equal. New hires need better training.

4. "Long time Line haul Driver"

Current Employee - Line Haul Driver
    Current Employee - Line Haul Driver

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You will be paid for most everything you do. Newer Tractors with Automatic transmission. Good Insurance. Union scale pay. Teamster representation. Pension. Teamwork among longtime employees.

Cons

No vacation for 2 years. 7 day 24 hour operation. You'll make a good living but will not have a life. Management really doesn't care if you get any home time. New drivers will mostly work nights and weekends. Motels you will stay in are bottom of the barrel accommodations. You are a number not a person. You will live by your phone and newer drivers might not get out for days and then you'll be forced out when you're most tired of waiting. Slowest freight trucks on the highway. 61 to 62 mph is top speed of tractors. Long mileage runs with slow trucks and ELD computers put a lot of stress on you. Line haul drivers expected to work minimum of 6 days a week.

Advice to Management

New management does not seem to know anything about trucking or truckers lives. Everything seems to be run by computer instead common sense. You have lost way too many of the older management that made this company great. That needs to be passed on to the new management and is not being done. Figure more efficient ways to move freight. Treat drivers as people too. Find ways to utilize drivers by get most amount of miles per day so drivers might can get more than 1 day a week off work. Turn trucks up to a safer speed. Too much interaction with too much traffic by going so slow. Not safe. More teamwork and consistency in everyday operations.

5. "Loved Working Here, Devastated By Termination"

Former Employee - Dock Worker in Sauk Village, IL
    Former Employee - Dock Worker in Sauk Village, IL

I worked at ABF Freight part-time

Pros

Challenging and wonderfully fulfilling work.

Cons

Management refused to corroborate their reasons for firing me. I now have to tell every company I apply to that I was terminated and the reasons I was given.

Advice to Management

Be transparent. Please be careful to not make life unnecessarily difficult for people you have to let go.

6. "City driver"

I worked at ABF Freight full-time

Pros

Good pay and a fun atmosphere

Cons

There is no recognizion ( union )

7. "Superisor"

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The paycheck is good, even though it is only once a month.
    If you enjoy working 11-12 hour days and not spending time with your family I supposed you could count that as a pro.

Cons

Long hours, hardly any work/life balance; poor upper management; high stress

Advice to Management

Listen to your seasoned employees, don't try to run everyone into the ground

8. "35 yr career at ABF."

I have been working at ABF Freight full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay ($24.07/hr). Overtime after 8 or 40. Fully company paid health, welfare and pension. Union health and welfare plan provides full range of Dental services with no copay (PPO). I just got a 6 unit bridge. Plan paid $4800.00. My copay.....0.
    There is a $10.00 copay for Doctor visits. Everything else is fully covered.
    Eyeglasses covered in full. Once per year. No copay.

Cons

Our union Pension Fund is projected to become insolvent in the year 2025, unless the Government steps in. (They did help to create this situation with Deregulation). The cost of maintaining a failing Pension Plan is born by ABF and is the reason our pay scale is somewhat lower than our non-union brethren.

"Worker Beware"

Former Employee - Dockworker in Carlisle, PA
    Former Employee - Dockworker in Carlisle, PA

I worked at ABF Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is good,dock workers there are good people Insurance is ok but could be allot better.....

Cons

Management is very poor,and its a union dock so its nothing but politics so much that its hard to even do your job. Very sloppy dock,very dangerous do to so much trash and cardboard laying around junk skids everywhere pieces of wood and nails etc that are being run over by forklifts,overall just a terrible place to work

Advice to Management

pay attention to what the workers are trying to tell you what is wrong with the place,stop putting the union stewarts in your pockets so they can do what they are supposed to do and protect the workers and stop verbally abusing the employees to try and bully them in to doing what you want them to do and end up making them hate their job!!!have a heart and be understanding when people have problems in and with their home life!!!!!!

10. "Fantastic People"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at ABF Freight full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with; management who will take care of you if you perform

Cons

Can tend to be a little "old school" at times