AMETEK Reviews | Glassdoor

AMETEK Reviews

Updated 8 Oct 2019

3.1
AMETEK CEO David A. Zapico  (no image)
David A. Zapico
Pros
  • "Good pay with above average benefits(in 20 reviews)

• "Great people within Tulsa company(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Has potential but due to constant upper management changes there is an inability to stick to a plan and see if it succeeds(in 8 reviews)

• "Not much opportunity to move to different business units(in 5 reviews)

1. "Focused on operational excellence"

Current Employee - Current Employee in Penn, PA

I have been working at AMETEK full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Highly driven to meet results

Cons

May not always invest in long term

AMETEK2019-08-18
  2. "Trash"

Former Employee - Lead Operator

I worked at AMETEK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was good to pay bills

Cons

Terrible business to work for work you like a dog treat you like trash

AMETEK2019-10-08
  3. "Company with good growth potential."

Current Employee - Production Manager in Lyons, CO

I have been working at AMETEK full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits and coworkers were great to work with.

Cons

The company has a lot of growth protentional but is still trying to figure out the best way to realize that potential.

AMETEK2019-09-19

"Sinking and just trying to keep the lights on"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at AMETEK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and flexible hours. Not a lot of oversight which is a pro and a con - but it's a good place to be if you're a self-starter that can push things forward without direction.

Cons

Management is basically non-existent. Sure there are people who will tell you to do something last minute when they need something done but no one is guiding the strategy - not that there really is much strategy here anyway other than "we need to meet an arbitrary growth number we falsified as realistic so corporate won't shut us down." The leadership is incredibly toxic and negative - rather than the typical... morale boosting rally cry at all-staff meetings you're more likely to hear that you're not doing enough and that all your jobs are on the line if we don't improve. It's robotic and cold. Growth must be achieved by any means, even if it means firing important roles, closing facilities or cutting benefits. Lean is an understatement here. AMETEK's version of lean is stretching high performers as thin as possible while the lifers slack off and leave at 3:00 p.m. every day.

Advice to Management

Get some fresh blood in the door. The amount of people on the cusp of retirement makes for a lazy workforce that just want to cash their paycheck.

AMETEK2019-10-01

"Good Company - Up and Down industry"

Former Employee - Commodity Manager

I worked at AMETEK full-time

Pros

Loved the People I worked with

Cons

Government Contracts So it felt like our success was dependent on the Government more than what we were actually doing

AMETEK2019-09-03

"Great Stepping-Stone Company"

Former Employee - Field Service Technician in Columbus, OH

I worked at AMETEK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

AMETEK offered lots of in house training that looked good a resume when applying to other jobs. So if you are new to the industry they are worth getting on with to get experience and make connections. Lots of travel opportunities.

Cons

The job I did at AMETEK was 80% travel and it did not matter where I travelled to, AMETEK was alway the lowest paying employer despite having 500% (or higher) profit margins on the work I was doing. Customers were always furious when they realized this because they were clearly being overcharged for the service being provided. Because of all the travel and everyone being stretched so thin there was no work-life... balance. This was the result of hiring/promoting people into managers who had no education and had hit their career ceiling. When people with no education are hired into management they know they have no other fallback so they work for lower wages and longer hours. It sets the bar low within the company and creates a poor culture.

Advice to Management

Start paying competitive wages when you hire people in different regions instead of looking at what the lowest wage you currently pay in the company and comparing it to that. One of the Upper Level Managers of the division I worked in began his career with AMETEK as a secretary and moved his way to the top within a short time period. He has no buisness being in Upper Management. Either demote him back to a... secretary or have him removed.

AMETEK2019-09-01
  7. "They set up a phone interview and dissaperared. :("

I have been working at AMETEK

Pros

Some people derive their livelyhood there.

Cons

Unprofessional! They emailed me to setup a phone interview for Optical Engineer Position and not only they never called me, but I they didn't even bother to cancel or apologize. Nobody picks up a phone at this company, ever.

Advice to Management

Someone needs to communicate well with prospective employees.

AMETEK2019-09-25

"RUN>>>If you need real career orientated JOB"

Former Employee - Finance Department in Wayne, NJ

I worked at AMETEK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility. if you want to pursue further education company will reimburse for tuition

Cons

One person ends up doing multiple jobs of other dept and no chance of growth or being promoted at all. Management Doesn’t show appreciation or give recognition to employees. No X-Mas bonuses to regular employees ; only managers gets bonuses for all the hard works of all the employees for qtly end sales. Manages with fear, not fairness Doesn’t follow through or recognize their own responsibilities Doesn’t provide... clear or realistic direction

Advice to Management

Recognize the hard work of loyal employees and change the titles and get better structure of all the employees instead of wasting unnecessary time running around budgeting all day to cough up your own bonuses at the end of the months.

AMETEK2019-09-19
  9. "Good people"

Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at AMETEK full-time

Pros

Great people, very flexible schedule

Cons

Pay could be higher in my opinion. Lack of upward movement potential.

AMETEK2019-08-13

"good engineering team - surface vision"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Senior in Hayward, CA

I worked at AMETEK full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice team and people, good team environment

Cons

Small engineering team, the technology is not up-to-date. Career growth is limited.

AMETEK2019-07-19