AMResorts Reviews | Glassdoor

AMResorts President Gonzalo Del Peon
Gonzalo Del Peon

1. "Great Experience"

I worked at AMResorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has grown significantly during my time there, they doubled the number of hotels managed, and are looking to double in size again over the next three years. The company values an entrepeneurial spirit and this provides a lot of latitude to try new things and learn from mistakes or misteps. If you are not afraid to share your ideas or make your case for why you think one thing will work vs another you can be heard, you don't always win but you feel a part of the process, if you don't bring anything to the conversation or are afraid to be wrong then this may not be the place for you. It's a young team and growing rapidly so nothing seems entrenched which I think is a good thing. It's a fast paced environment and there is always something that needs attention. There is opportunity here to learn new things and advance your career. As the company grows there are many new positions and opportunities that are becoming available. If you want to learn, contribute and work with good people, this is a great place to be.

Cons

The biggest problem with AMR is in the salaries. As the company has grown in size rapidly, moving from a family owned business to a vertically integrated company under the Apple Leisure Group flag, consisting of multiple companies and greater individual responsibilities and work load, the salaries for new positions and internal promotions have remained lower than even the low end of the competitive salary range, in line with the days when they were a much smaller family run business. I think they have identified this and are trying to fix it, so is probably less of a concern for anyone looking to join the company from the outside, just make sure you know what you are worth, and do your homework. Those inside the company are unfortunately forced to negotiate tooth and nail to be compensated appropriately. Hopefully this is something they can rectify sooner rather than later as there is some great talent in the company who will eventually be forced to make a tough decision if they don't. It's unfortunate because overall this is a really great place to work.

Advice to Management

Take the tough financial decision but the right business one, and pay your only actual "assets" fairly before they have to push you for a counteroffer. Other than that, keep doing what your doing, maybe a little less frantically at times, but overall a positive place to work.

"A lot of opportunity"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at AMResorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

AMResorts is a great place to work if you are willing to work very hard, dedicate your time outside of the standard 9-5 and want to grow your resume. I would definitely recommend it for someone who is young, smart and wants to get a ton of experience under his or her belt. If you work hard, you are likely to get recognized, and when you get recognized is when you get tremendous opportunity. The opportunity is not just travel but also to take part in all of their marketing ideas including TV, viral videos, photography, content writing, social and digital media and more..all of which happens in some of the most beautiful places. The President and CEO are very involved and love to stay up on trends but have very high expectations. The executive team is very well known in the industry and have a ton of connections. If you are someone who wants to work in travel.. this is the place to be.

Cons

The company is growing too fast. There are discrepancies in bonus levels and salaries and once you are in that position..it is very difficult to change it. Depending on when you started and who you work for, you can be paid a lower salary than other staff members with much less responsibility. This does not mean you should not work here, it just means that you should negotiate when you walk in because if you are hard worker, you will WORK and you should be compensated.

Advice to Management

Slow down and take care of those who are giving you everything. You have so many talented people and you burn them into the ground while turning a blind eye to those that just aren't pulling their weight.

"DISGRACE TO MANKIND"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at AMResorts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is only one pro to this company and its the entry level employees. The employees that work hard to support one another to make it through the day.

Cons

Upper management would rather see you starve than give up their fillet mignon. I'm embarrassed to even say I've worked for this company.

Advice to Management

Step down. You're a disgrace to mankind.

"Laughable"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Sq, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Sq, PA

I worked at AMResorts (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still attempting to find a pro however the lower management and entry level employees were a pleasure to work with/for.

Cons

Employees are treated as though work should be the only focus in their lives, it's hard to say there was any work life balance. The company sells vacations, it is not life or death, emails and calls do not need to come in at 11pm or on the weekends. If you left at the close of the day on time, you were looked down upon; even if you were there an hour early. Recognition for a job well done is rare, if ever. Employees want to stay with the company however the senior management makes them feel as though they are disposable...red flag. Don't even consider bringing a counter offer once you look elsewhere, it's as if they would rather hire someone new than retain their experienced employees. And advancement? Work your way to the top, it's possible, but you will never be compensated. A 10% increase in pay is all you can receive regardless of what the position is showing to outside candidates. You don't need reviews from current and former employees to see just how the company is struggling to find talented and qualified candidates/employees, simply go to their career opportunity website. There are jobs from 2015 still unfulfilled, that speaks volumes.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are more than willing to express to you how they feel and what improvements would make a large difference in the office. It cannot stop at simply listening, take action.

"Great Company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Director of Revenue Management in Newtown Square, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Director of Revenue Management in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at AMResorts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

You can grow in this company if you work hard and with passion, the company is always growing and is the leader in its class.

Cons

You will work more that in other companies but good enough to have a balance between work and personal Life.

Advice to Management

hear from your staff.

"Glad I got out of there when I did..."

Former Employee - Coordinator in Newtown Square, PA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at AMResorts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pros about this job were the people that I worked with (non-executives), and the opportunities to travel for work as well as the personal vacation benefits.

Cons

Pay - The pay is mediocre at best. For what your technical job description is, the pay is somewhat on par, but you will soon realize that your job description includes tasks/responsibilities that you would never think that you would be responsible for. Also, if you started after 2014 I believe, you are not eligible for the yearly bonus, but all other employees who started before that time period are grandfathered in.

Health benefits - I was fortunate enough to not be subjected to these torturous benefits because I was on a separate plan not associated with AMResorts, but from what I gathered from attending the open enrollment information sessions, you would be paying a minimum of $100 per paycheck (just health not including dental) with astronomical deductibles. Sounds very beneficial...

Communication - Is non-existent. Good luck finding out pertinent information that you need regarding a responsibility that you didn't even know what yours until after the project/task is due.

Executives/Management - I don't have enough fingers or toes to count the number of times I was yelled at, dismissed, treated like a toddler or told (yelled at) "I don't care how it happens, just get it done." There is not one genuine leader within this company.

Processes & Procedures - hahahahaha what are those? Good luck if an employee who was responsible for a certain task leaves the company and it falls on you now, because you will be completely in the dark on how to get it accomplished because no senior manager/executive even knows what actually goes in to getting something done.

Delegate, Delegate, Delegate is the motto at AMResorts and it is a shame. All of the lower-level employees complete 99.9% of the work and then their manager/director/whatever the title is passes it off to the President/CEO as their own work. I would say maybe 2 members of the exec team actually do work while everything gets passed on to the minions.

It is VERY apparent that AMResorts does not care for the well being of their employees. Blizzard outside? You better be in the office. Hurricane? See you at 9am. State of Emergency? They don't apply to AMResorts employees. You need to be in the office no matter what or else you are forced to use a vacation day. But the real kicker is NOT ONE manager/executive member will be in the office. They are allowed to work from home, while all employees must come into the office. That's right, you must risk your life driving just to sell a vacation. Absolutely deplorable. But don't worry, if you are one of the lucky employees who makes it into the office without getting into an accident, you will be lucky enough to receive an email from an executive member thanking you for being dedicated and coming into the office. Pretty sure there was no choice, buddy.

Career Growth - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah, this just doesn't exist. You will be overworked, given manager (or higher) level responsibilities, entrusted to execute work that should not be yours, but never EVER see the compensation or career movement that you deserve, let alone a thank you. There are employees who have been there 5, 6, 7+ years in the same position as when they started. All you will be given is false promises and told "next year" will be your year.

Advice to Management

As said in Remember the Titans, "Attitude reflects leadership, Captain." Executives/bosses (I can't even use the word leader because one does not exist at this company), really need to sit back and take a good, hard, long look in the mirror and realize they are a cancer to the organization, and if their attitude does not change, they will lose all valuable employees that they have.

From reading all of these other recent reviews, from current employees, I was compelled to write mine because it seems like this place has gone even further downhill (I honestly did not think that was even possible). Remember, you are selling vacations!! Not trying to find a cure for cancer. People are utilizing your product because it is a luxury, not a necessity. The work you are doing has no impact on lives other than to escape the mundane of every day living. And it is sad, because your employees are employees who want to escape their jobs more than most other companies.

From meetings where employees were told how profitable and successful the company is and will be, the least you could do is provide decent, not even good or excellent, but decent medical benefits. At least pretend to care about the well being of your people.

"Was great when I started, but that quickly changed..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA

I worked at AMResorts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are great people; it's Management I really question.

Cons

Micromanaging out of control, unrealistic/unattainable sales goals, operationally inept and inefficient, sytems need to be upgraded, low morale throughout entire organization, they want to be among the highest in the industry--keep going down this path you will be dead last. Very out of touch senior management.

Advice to Management

Clean house, start from the top.

"Terrible place to work"

I have been working at AMResorts full-time

Pros

My coworkers. There are many great people who work here and help get me through the day. If it wasn't for them I'd go insane.

Cons

Management: Most of the management team at this company is terrible. No one has ever had real management training and that is what this company is really lacking. The managers do not know how to lead or develop their teams, only bark orders and berate them. There is a constant power struggle and most of the managers are on a power trip who feel they can speak to their employees as disrespectfully as they please just because they are a manager. Senior level executives are aware that this is happening and do absolutely NOTHING to stop it. And the managers who actually do a great job in leading their teams are NEVER recognized for this.

Communication: This company is majorly lacking communication skills. Information given to one department is completely different than information given to another department, if any is given at all. There are many aspects to the job that cannot get done properly because information hasn't been communicated to employees. Most of the information told is "heard through the grapevine" because the management does not know how to communicate with their teams.

Low salary: Employees are overworked and HIGHLY UNDERPAID. There is definitely no work/life balance at this company. It is frowned upon if you don't work extra hours outside of a normal work day but the company does nothing to compensate their employees when they do work extra hours. Many employees come in earlier and stay a lot later to get work done or else they'd be so behind in work because there is not enough staff to handle it all and the company refuses to hire more people. The company is growing rapidly but no compensation or even recognition is given for the hard work put in by employees. We have to sit through numerous presentations showing us how profitable this company is and how many of its goals to produce more revenue were exceeded over the years only to still make the same low salaries that we have been making, with no pay increase.

Health insurance: The health insurance offered is very expensive and covers very little. For the low salaries that are paid, this company should at least make up for it with better health benefits but they do not.

Travel benefits: The company offers a "benefit" of discounted vacations to their employees. The only problem is that trying to use these vacations is impossible. If you are lucky enough to be approved for the time off, you still have to put your request in with employee travel, but 9 times out of 10 will get denied. This is supposed to be one of the "perks" of working here since no one is paid well enough to actually afford a full priced vacation but these trips are barely even available to employees.

Work from home policy: Employees are often told that we are not allowed to work from home, even in a state of emergency, but are still expected to report to work or are forced to use a vacation day. The most frustrating thing about this is arriving to work only to find that some people are working from home. This policy only applies to some and not others, even though we are told that "absolutely no one" is allowed to work from home. This leads me to my next point, double standards. It seems that some rules only apply to certain people and not others. Some employees constantly get written up for things that other employees get away with over and over. Employees are all treated differently depending on whether certain managers like you or not. And when these situations are addressed they are brushed off like nothing ever happened.

I think the executives believe that employees actually love working here because the company is so successful, but nothing could be further from the truth. Over and over you hear employees talking about how miserable they are and how much they actually hate working for this company. Things need to change very soon or AMResorts is going to start losing a lot of great employees.

Advice to Management

Learn to respect and appreciate your employees. They are the ones who make your business as successful as it is today.

"Great challenging company to work for."

I have been working at AMResorts full-time

Pros

I have been with AMResorts for a while and think they offer a lot to their employees. They are the best in the industry (all-inclusive resorts) and it's a terrific product. The people are young, energetic and dedicated - a group of professionals. Sure there are some loafers but they get called out quickly.
    I believe there is lots of opportunity for growth and if you work hard, you'll be recognized. I like their fast-track program, targeting those who they see have growth potential in the company to rise to the next level.
    Travel benefits are pretty good especially with the sister company, Apple Vacations.
    Sure there are long hours and high expectations - isn't that what every job requires? It's a great company to have on your resume and I hope to keep working for AMResorts for a while.

Cons

- Negotiate your salary going in. It's hard to get increases beyond the cost of living.
    - Insurance plans aren't stellar
    - Location in the burbs of Philadelphia mean not the best public transit and nothing within walking distance (groceries/restaurants)

Advice to Management

Better employee benefits - like mat leave and medical coverage
    Allow more flexible working hours and ability to work from home, especially during brutal winters.

"Abusive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newtown Square, PA

Pros

There are absolutely no positive things to say about this company. Most of the staff are nasty, the management is very poor, the pay is very poor and benefits continue to get cut. There is little growth opportunity and zero effort from upper management to better its staff.

Cons

The management are abusive, manipulative liars. They promise raises and promotions to their employees and never fulfill. They continue to reward other employees who threaten to leave because they are afraid to lose anyone. The higher management and Bain Capital have no idea what is really going on at AMResorts. And, if they do, they're a disgrace. The benefits are awful and they continue to cut pay increases and bonuses. You would think the travel benefits would be worth it, but the company makes it impossible to take advantage of the travel benefits and impossible to take a vacation because they work their people to death. There is no work/ life balance and employees are made to feel as if they "owe" something to the company because one day it's going to be BIG. The upper management sits back and lets the "little people" suffer. They refuse to hire and expand, but expect more and more output with a bare bones staff. The people who have been working there for years refuse to be flexible and follow industry trends. They are going to drive the company down, but upper management keeps them around. The senior-level management continues to get big raises while the rest of the staff receives less than ever. Literally every employee there is looking to leave.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect. Reward good work instead of constantly putting people down and saying they should have done more.